The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Mendota crappies?  (Read 6333 times)

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mendota crappies?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Anybody been out on the smaller lakes near Madison?  Mad gill, have you been to the marsh or Marshall lately?  Might go this afternoon or tomorrow, and don't feel like risking it on the big water.

FS

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I have not been out for a while, just too risky with the fresh snow over rotten ice, I always stay safe. I'll bet the runoff has made fishing tough. Should be good to go by next weekend, finally some cold temps in the forecast to firm things up. Be safe out there!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Mendota actually had people out on it today. Cherokee also and has good ice. I took a skunk though.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2017, 02:34 PM »
I saw guys on Mendota, but it is way too scary for me and atv travel.  Talked to a guy at a bait shop going off picnic, said there was 10 inches there before warm up.  Sketchy spots are near shore (and heaves).  Heard there were shacks getting pulled out there over the weekend.  Should be better this weekend.  I decided to go west to Cox Hollow, and ended up catching more 5 inch perch than you ever want.  Only a couple small gills and no crappies.  Pretty scenery though. 

FS

Offline Crap eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the thunder don't get ya,you know the ice will
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Liking this thread one day I'll get a wheeler and start dissecting parts of Geneva.Hope you all do well will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Crap eyes...you are always welcome to join us, when we finalize a date.  im looking at the 25th right now, due to other obligations until then (12th is the only other possibility).  Thinking we could get a perch bite in the morning, and switch about 10 to the search mission.  I've got grill, shanty, and atv.  We can start a list of those who are able to come...

FS

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:41 AM »
I wouldn't be able to make the 12th, not sure about the 25th yet (wont know until about a week ahead of that). I may try to get out there with the ATV this weekend chasing perch though.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I was working on that High Point Rd Bridge project yesterday, so I decided to take the ice fishing gear along.  Tried the west end of the lake, out from Marshall park.  Nothing to show for.  Drove around to the east end of the lake, Warner park area.  Dropped in the locator, and I see red.  Lowered a tungsten jig down in front of them, and bam.  I found the crappies, only problem is that they were 3 inchers!  Usually when you catch panfish on Mendota, they are big.  Today was the exception, good to see though. 

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Now that's what I found poking around Marshall & Mendota  County park early this year. Lots of little 3" crappies, Vexilar was lit up good, but all small fish, yes, that's good to see! I have not caught a decent crappie all year, got some nice gills at Cherokee at first ice, not one crappie? The big ones are in there somewhere, my guess it's somewhere odd and un fished, try those out of the way areas, across from Eagle Heights (that  horrible little parking lot), or take a walk down Picnic Point, and fish off to the right. Lots of lake out there, they are in there somewhere!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2017, 05:39 AM »
I am still an optimist Madgill.  I believe what you say, and still want to get out to try it en masse.  Work and family are taking up too much time for it now.  The 25th weekend is about the only chance I might get for an all day excursion.  I hope the ice stays with this weird weather we seem to get every other week.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06:02 PM »
Looking at the forecast, 2/25 doesn't look too good for getting on Mendota

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Yikes, forecast does not look good for any Madison lake? My guess is the wind, sun & warm temps have weakened the ice. I was hoping to get out this weekend for one last time, but 50+ temps on Sat/Sun tells me to stay off the rotten ice. I would think the safest would be Cherokee Marsh, darn close to shore? Now I'll fish that  on 2" of ice early when it's darn cold, but that soft ice is not for me. I always fish safe these days (as I get older). Late ice can be hot, just like early ice. Has Old Goat been out at Cherokee and getting last ice gills & crappies? Those little Gulp minnows worked great for me last time I was out, keeps the little ones off the hook. I'll bet real minnows would be really hot?

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:15 AM »
I'm truly bummed it is going to be over soon.  I'm not sure my first weekend in March trip to Vilas will still be doable.  I can still hope.  I have Sunday afternoon open, but doubt it will be on ice.  Maybe I'll break out the rods and hit a river.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Cherokee ice was surprisingly good this morning, finicky fish, lots of little ones, a real tough bite. Fish underneath me all morning, I threw everything I had at them! Not good fishing, but it was good to get out one last time. Things were really melting when I left at 1:00.I kept 10 fish, nothing too impressive 6-7" gills, no big ones today. I think I'm done for the year!

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Back at it again for 2017/2018 big Mendota crappies. Early ice has always been the best for me. Marshall park lagoon or County park. I will hit it soon at first ice and see what happens. No go last year, just got to hit it every year and see what happens?

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:36 PM »
it's almost time across the lake MG

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Never got out to try my “basin bite” theory last season.  Ended too abruptly.  Maybe we can rekindle the idea with a group this season.  After first ice bite dies down, and perch have slowed, let’s check out some basins for speckles...

Fs

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Now I hit Marshall Park lagoon this morning, it was darn cold out there, even in the shack with the heater! Lot's of little gills & crappies (that's a good thing), one nice gill in 3 hours of fishing. Just had to hit it. If the big crappies were in there, it would be elbow to elbow fisherman, not this year! Darn cold out there, I'm still trying to thaw out!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Got out on Monona Bay today, near the tracks.  Sorted through some real dinks...some only 2 inches big.  Buddy kept 5 gills 8 inches plus.  Drove by Brearly drive today and it looks like Mendota was solid all the way across.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see guys chasing perch this weekend.

Fs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.