Author Topic: 2018 Loughborough Laker Watch  (Read 9340 times)

Offline tony_b

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2018 Loughborough Laker Watch
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Hello everyone,
New to the forum and relatively new to Ontario ice fishing. All my ice fishing has been in New Brunswick. We just moved to Ontario 2 yrs ago, about 45 min south of Ottawa. I have been Ice fishing Hoople Creek which is close by my place for perch and pike.
This year I want to explore some different water and try for different species. Unfortunately NB doesn't offer the variety of species that Ontario does. There are no walleyes, pike or crappie in NB. Lake trout are extremely hard to find, I think that is due to no stocking program in NB. There is none...
Anyway enough of me going on... Google says I am 2 hours drive from Loughborough Lake. I am NOT looking for anyone's honey holes I can drill holes and try to find my first Laker. You probably can't tell from reading this but I am sooooo pumped to try for a Laker. See rambling again.

What I am looking for is a place on the lake where there is public access and parking.
From this area, do you have to walk a long ways to a good spot? Not as young as I use to be so have to plan ahead. Travel light because I'm pulling or don't worry take the wheeler. lol
What are the snow conditions on the ice? I know big storm this weekend but I'll have an idea before the storm hits.
Can a wheeler go on the ice right now? Ice thickness and snow depth. Wheeler has no tracks
I have read white tubes and smelts. Is there a spot to buy smelts around the lake?
Thanks everyone for reading. sorry about the rambling.
Stay safe
And remember to cross their eyes
Tony

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Welcome Tony
I am a resident on the lake and have not seen an atv on the deep water yet but I was out on shaallower stuff (earlier freeze) yesterday. Should be good to go but again, I wait to see others first. I fished the deeper stuff a week ago and it was only 5" but Im sure its grown since then. I am sure by the end of the weekend you will see more replies here. Best access is far east end ,Loughborough drive off Sydenham rd where I am located and have full view of the far east end. I personally use white tubes, and rattle baits but some of the locals also use frozen smelt from the grocery store. Moving around in my opinion is the ticket to find fish although others just park themselves and wait. Good luck on your venture..once it warms up a bit, you wont have a hard time seeing where to go as there will be huts all over.

Good Luck
Rick

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Welcome Tony
I am a resident on the lake and have not seen an atv on the deep water yet but I was out on shaallower stuff (earlier freeze) yesterday. Should be good to go but again, I wait to see others first. I fished the deeper stuff a week ago and it was only 5" but Im sure its grown since then. I am sure by the end of the weekend you will see more replies here. Best access is far east end ,Loughborough drive off Sydenham rd where I am located and have full view of the far east end. I personally use white tubes, and rattle baits but some of the locals also use frozen smelt from the grocery store. Moving around in my opinion is the ticket to find fish although others just park themselves and wait. Good luck on your venture..once it warms up a bit, you wont have a hard time seeing where to go as there will be huts all over.

Good Luck
Rick

Not get enough sleep on your night shift?? You live on the WEST end. Everything else he said was right tho.  ;D
@jzuliniak

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Oops..yup sorry. West end.  Just got up lol

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:34 AM »
10” of ice over 60-85 fow. Saw one Atv out there today. Lots of people out today spoke with a few groups only heard of 1 fish on the ice. I fished from 8:30–11:30 marked a few but nothing interested in my baits. Can’t wait until temps return to normal and I fish outside and search for active fish.
@jzuliniak

Offline deft-traveler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Was that you out on the ATV blitzing holes in that same depth this morning?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:42 PM »
no wasnt me, I was walking on Sunday but going forward it will be bike time for sure.
@jzuliniak

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I am hoping to try Loughborough Lake in the near future. I have never been there but a friend pointed it out to me recently as a lake to try.
How is the parking like off Sydenham road? I haul a trailer with my ATV and fishing gear inside and wonder what is like.
I am considering a weekday trip so as not to trip up the regulars.

Offline mitch seguin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:55 PM »
There will be sufficient parking for your rig mid-week along Loughborough road next to the lake.

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:14 PM »
That was me blitzing holes yesterday on the atv. New toy so hard to sit still..lol...and wasn't marking much anywhere. a buddy of mine was marking though and got 2.

Rick

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Hey Rick  I was out yesterday for 2 hours, iced one about 3 lbs, lost 3 and one was a tank , i didn't get a good look but the guy who was helping said it was at least 9lbs. Marked a bunch but hard to get a strike, had to really piss it off before it hit. Looks like the weather might be an issue for the next few days as well....
Tim

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:28 PM »
ya it looks pretty wet on top today. waterproof boots and cleats would be the way to go until we get some snow.
@jzuliniak

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Thinking of heading over for an afternoon fish, how is the ice with all the water and rain?
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:22 AM »
havent been out there in a few days, it was 10" of black ice then. Its pretty wet so rubber boots would be good, also stay away from the incoming creek
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Thinking of heading over for an afternoon fish, how is the ice with all the water and rain?
How did you make out?
@jzuliniak

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Well I did mark a few I fished for about an hour and a half and caught zip. If you hear of a guy out on the ice walking 1/2  a km from the ramp to the cottages/home on the south east  end of the lake to get his frabil commando (that the wind took) it was me, I mean not me....lol

Ice was down to 8.5" of good hard black ice with 1/2 inch of water on top(where I was) for the most part and 2-3 "s  of water by the shoreline at the ramp when I got there. In just the 2 hours I was there the water on top was crystallizing and the only water was at the ramp. Weather permitting I will likely be back over the weekend. I drive a 2005 Ford Escape with an antenna on the roof and a amateur radio call sign VE3IVU on the back window. Fished about 100 yards north east of the perm hut on the ice and in 40' of water.

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:31 AM »
Although I didnt see you I got word from a neighbour you were out there as she thought it was me..lol. Good to know its still safe out there. Should be a crowd this weekend

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Anyone out today? Very slushy still?

Offline keenej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:09 PM »
The ice is intact but there's a thin crust with water underneath and 20cm of snow on top.  I was out between 2pm and 5 pm.  There's 8 to 10 " of ice.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:01 PM »
Heading out there tomorrow morning is my plan, I will have my Ford Escape on land and I will likely be using the Eskimo 3i and not the Commando tomorrow.

Offline tony_b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I wont be out this week. But am planning on going next week. What are the snow conditions on the lake. I was at Hoople Creek yesterday very hard walk towing the flip over. You would have a hard time with a wheeler trying to get through the snow drifts.
Good luck everyone.
Tony

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Was out today with the wife for 2 hours, managed 1 and lost 3, 
Tim

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:28 PM »
How thick was the ice Tim?

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Measured 10 inches in 86 fow, 4 inches of fluffy snow on top
Tim

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Sweet! Might go out on the bike tomorrow. Any bad areas to watch out for?

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Well geez Tim you were fishing my hole I was on this morning!!!! LMAO!! That was me on the quad and your welcome for the spot and the fish!!! I knew they were there...just couldnt get them to go. I wasnt going far from there. Just came in for lunch ya bugger!! Probably watching me and waited till I was gone!! LOL. Sorry to crowd ya. Good job!!

Rick

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Hey Rick
Funny, thought it might be you as I didn't see any trailers on shore, didn't recognise the suit. I was with the wife , her first time out on the lake so sorry I didn't come over to say Hi.  I usually hit the same area as well and you weren't crowding, just explained to the wife that usually people spread out unless they know the area and want to stick to grounds they know (mentioned you might be a local)  ...  She really enjoyed it too, just bought a new frabil 2 man which I have to put together so we can get out more. Oh and thanks for keeping the fish on point, there are still a few more in that spot too....lol
Tim

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Digem1   , I didn't see any wet spots in the snow, might want to stay away from the creek area though just incase, other than that it looked fine where I was too....

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Thanks, Tim. Might take a run down there tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be nice. Will be out in quickfish 3 & red grizzly.

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Tim...that spot we were at was really really wet!!!!! lol.JKG. Great job and good to see the wife out. Maybe we should hook up and she can talk mine into going out. If you need a hand with the hut Id be glad to help you out. im off the next two days...and maybe on that spot!!!! LMAO!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.