The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Fun Day in the Pittsfield Area  (Read 1742 times)

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fun Day in the Pittsfield Area
« on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:37 PM »
A friend and I made the trip from CT and it paid off for us. We fished 7-8” of ice in 13-22 feet of water. After setting up our tipups, we each jigged and caught dozens of tiny 4 or 5” perch, six or seven fat sunfish, a 11” Largemouth and a big 23” Swamp Dart. There was lots of flag chasing to be had, we caught 5 Perch ranging from 8-11” and an uncountable amount of Swamp Darts that were all good sized and quite fat. The Swamp Darts were absolutely rabid- many times we dropped the shiner down and it was taken before the flag could be set.

But the highlight of the day came towards the end when my buddy pulled up a beautiful 17” Smallmouth on tip up set at 13 feet in 14 feet of water. The Smallmouth is in the picture below

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fun Day in the Pittsfield Area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2022, 06:40 PM »
sounds like a great day  ;D
worth the ride  :tipup:

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:34 PM »
sounds like a great day  ;D
worth the ride  :tipup:

For sure. It’s fun to chase Swamp Darts once a year. After that I’ve seen enough  ;D

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:47 PM »
You confused me for a second with that swarp dart name. I never heard that one before. Made me think of swamp darter which is a favorite native fish of mine but much too small to catch on a hook.

Offline FishOn62

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy the time.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:59 PM »
Perchman, looks like a great day and weather was perfect.  What body did you hit today ?

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:02 PM »
You confused me for a second with that swarp dart name. I never heard that one before. Made me think of swamp darter which is a favorite native fish of mine but much too small to catch on a hook.

I’ve always called Pickerel Swamp Darts. Not sure where it comes from but that’s always what I’ve referred to them as. I think it’s a pretty fitting nick name!

Offline FishOn62

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy the time.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:10 PM »
We call them Slime Darts.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:28 PM »
Perchman, looks like a great day and weather was perfect.  What body did you hit today ?

With respect, I’d rather not say to avoid burning the spot out. It’s not a heavily fished place and I’m sure those who do fish it would like to keep it that way.

A lot of people read these forums and if I posted exactly where it was I am 100% certain it would be a mob scene.

Nothing against you. I hope you understand.

Offline FishOn62

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy the time.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2022, 08:40 PM »
Totally understand, itching to get out and 7-8 inches of ice was impressive, so felt safer on a body with that much ice versus the 3-4 I’m hearing in other areas in the berkshires.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2022, 10:14 PM »
Totally understand, itching to get out and 7-8 inches of ice was impressive, so felt safer on a body with that much ice versus the 3-4 I’m hearing in other areas in the berkshires.

Where are you hearing 3-4”? I’m not sure there’s fishable ice in the Berkshires that’s less than 6” quite honestly. I was at several different spots last week that had 5-7” and I would imagine those have at least gained 2” since. Granted they were fairly small bodies of water but still decent fisheries. Of course always check ice before going on, but most ponds and lakes in the Berkshires are locked up and are solid.

Offline FishOn62

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy the time.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:42 AM »
Open water at Onota, Cheshire, Pontousac and Laurel still.  Spots are closed with some activity but nowhere near 6+ inches.  I had heard smaller bodies were in better shape. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Open water at Onota, Cheshire, Pontousac and Laurel still.  Spots are closed with some activity but nowhere near 6+ inches.  I had heard smaller bodies were in better shape.

As of when?  I know people have been fishing some of these places.
westernmas on the finder

Offline FishOn62

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy the time.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2022, 08:21 AM »
I live in the Berkshires and drove by each yesterday, confirmed by Bait Shops as well.  With that said there are areas that people are on and fishing just not the entire body are accessible.  With forecast being what it is over the few days should be good to go. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2022, 09:25 AM »
Nice report sounds like fun.  Love posts like this with just general area mentioned. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2022, 10:13 AM »
I live in the Berkshires and drove by each yesterday, confirmed by Bait Shops as well.  With that said there are areas that people are on and fishing just not the entire body are accessible.  With forecast being what it is over the few days should be good to go.

Awesome, thanks for the report!
westernmas on the finder

Offline FishOn62

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy the time.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Onota Lake, Cheshire, Pontousac and Laurel activity but only in certain spots since there are some open water spots.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:15 PM »
Nice report sounds like fun.  Love posts like this with just general area mentioned.

Thanks. I feel it’s rude and inconsiderate to blow up a spot that isn’t heavily fished.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2022, 06:51 PM »
Judging by the pictures, I'd say the OP was on Silver Lake  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:20 PM »
Thanks. I feel it’s rude and inconsiderate to blow up a spot that isn’t heavily fished.

Good sportsmanship. 

Offline Atta Boy!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:32 AM »
Excellent job and great report. Thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.