The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Reqired information needed on traps  (Read 2249 times)

Offline BurningDaylight

• IceShanty Rookie
Reqired information needed on traps
« on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:13 PM »
So last year while ice fishing I chatted with another fisherman who looked at my traps and made the observation that I didn’t have my name and/or address on my traps.  I said I didn’t know why I needed that information on my traps.  He indicated it was a “law”.  I’ve looked “everywhere” to try and find this requirement.  Yes? No?  If yes, I require proof as direct me to the state website and document.

Thank you,

Burningdaylight

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Reqired information needed on traps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:19 PM »
In other states, I know it is, but I have not seen it in MA, but mine are marked (for other states), so I don't know for sure.

Offline Smitty5313

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:20 PM »
Don’t need to in MA. It is required in CT.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:37 PM »
You will meet a lot of “smart” people on the ice

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:58 PM »
What state were you fishing in?

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:00 PM »
Where were you fishing when you spoke to this guy?

Offline BurningDaylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:17 PM »
Fishing in Mass.  Pond in central mass.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:54 PM »
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/get-started-ice-fishing

"Ice fishing regulations
Ice fishing requires a freshwater fishing license for those 15 and older; you can get your fishing license online using MassFishHunt. Anglers are allowed up to five hooks through the ice at one time. A hook is defined as an angling device attached to the line of a tip-up or jig stick that is designed to take one fish at a time. This includes plain hooks, treble hooks, spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, jigs, or plugs. The device in question is not restricted to a single hook—lures with multiple treble hooks count as one hook in the water. Hooks can be on any combination of tip-ups or jig sticks, but no more than five hooks total.

All anglers must be able to tend their own hooks (tip-ups or jig sticks). Adults may assist minors with cutting holes or removing hooks, but minors must be capable of tending tip-ups or jig sticks on their own."

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Reqired information needed on traps More infor
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2022, 05:30 AM »
So last year while ice fishing I chatted with another fisherman who looked at my traps and made the observation that I didn’t have my name and/or address on my traps.  I said I didn’t know why I needed that information on my traps.  He indicated it was a “law”.  I’ve looked “everywhere” to try and find this requirement.  Yes? No?  If yes, I require proof as direct me to the state website and document.

Thank you,

Burningdaylight

Team,

I had a similar challenge in Sothern New Hampshire ... when a fellow fisherman emphatically  told me my ice tackles were not legal because they lacked my name and address.   I challenged him to show/send me the regulation.   A day latter he apologized and said he was wrong.

However,   I dug deeper into the topic and concluded he was partially correct.   If you are fishing cusk the rule is Name and address must be on every cusk trap used

Here is a link to Fish and Game’s Regulations: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/ice-fishing.html

You are also allowed up to 6 cusk traps per person.

Cusk Line Rules
Name and address must be on every cusk trap used
Weight must be at least 1 oz and lead-free
Weight must be at most 6 inches from the hook
Weight must be resting on the bottom of the lake

Here is a link to Fish and Game’s Regulations: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/ice-fishing.html

Cusk Line Rules

Cusk Line Rules

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2022, 06:14 AM »
Live free or die N.H.............LOL

Offline BurningDaylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:03 AM »
So what it means is, “Know before you go!!”

I am sure it made “sense” sometime in the past, but I can’t seem to come up with it.

Does anyone have historic law books for Mass, CT, NH, and Maine and need college credits for a history class?

Burningdaylight

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:34 AM »
The name and address thing makes sense with cusk traps. That's the only time traps are left out overnight unattended.

There's nothing like that in Ma.

My take away from this thread is don't take legal advice from random guys on the ice.
Pretty sure we all have smart phones in our pockets most of the time.
When in doubt, look it up.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2022, 02:28 PM »
I always thought your name on the tip up proved how many you had out
But I have my name on all my stuff so it doesn’t matter to me if it’s required or not

Offline BurningDaylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:18 PM »
I have more than the five traps that are allowed to be used concurrently in Mass, like I’d guess almost all of you guys.

So, when my son and grandkids come up from Long Island (not much ice fishing going on there) and use my equipment, if my name is on them all and the EPO stopped by to chat and check and they all were set out with my name on them how does the EPO react?

Intelligently after being told it’s a family fishing trip?  Or does he/she go off their nut by saying they all have your name on them, therefore you are over the allowed number?  I’ll vote for option one, intelligence.

Offline derekinhawaii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:22 PM »
For what I know relating to MA fishing regulations, there's no such law/regulation that says your traps need to have your name on them.  Thus you/grandson/friends/neighbors can use your fishing traps/rods how they like provided they observe all fishing regs.  Your grandson shouldn't have any issues with EPO using your traps  provided they have a fishing license.

Hope this helps.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2022, 05:42 PM »
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/get-started-ice-fishing

"Ice fishing regulations
Ice fishing requires a freshwater fishing license for those 15 and older; you can get your fishing license online using MassFishHunt. Anglers are allowed up to five hooks through the ice at one time. A hook is defined as an angling device attached to the line of a tip-up or jig stick that is designed to take one fish at a time. This includes plain hooks, treble hooks, spinners, spoons, bait harnesses, jigs, or plugs. The device in question is not restricted to a single hook—lures with multiple treble hooks count as one hook in the water. Hooks can be on any combination of tip-ups or jig sticks, but no more than five hooks total.

All anglers must be able to tend their own hooks (tip-ups or jig sticks). Adults may assist minors with cutting holes or removing hooks, but minors must be capable of tending tip-ups or jig sticks on their own."

In MA and probably NH as well (and maybe more states) you have to be able to visually see your own trap, so that walking way (to water the bushes or get something from the truck) could be an issue and maybe a fine.

If you bring kids, and set lines for them, make sure to pull them when they leave, walk away or find something else to occupy their time.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2022, 06:50 PM »
NY has that rule - name and address on all tip ups.  If you are letting someone borrow gear, their name has to be on your stuff (or else it is considered part of your spread).  Things get confusing in the Berkshires... A lot of us NYers fish Mass and vice versa.  It doesn't end with tip ups... 3 trout in Mass, 5 in NY (if it's in season on a body of water that allows winter fishing), 5 bass in Mass, 0 in NY unless it's in June....  LOTS of interpretations out there, be smart. 

Offline Mr.Marinara

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Reqired information needed on traps More infor
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:36 PM »
Team,

I had a similar challenge in Sothern New Hampshire ... when a fellow fisherman emphatically  told me my ice tackles were not legal because they lacked my name and address.   I challenged him to show/send me the regulation.   A day latter he apologized and said he was wrong.

However,   I dug deeper into the topic and concluded he was partially correct.   If you are fishing cusk the rule is Name and address must be on every cusk trap used

Cusk Line Rules

Cusk Line Rules

Cusk Line Rules

Thanks for looking this up

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:54 AM »
In CT your jig rods also need your name and address attached to them. This is often overlooked.
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:03 AM »
Years ago, my Dad + I were fishing on the Cape (this is way back when we had better ice)

A guy set up next to us who had a few pops, then a few more beers, and then a few more.

Other than having him driving on the road later, it was no problem for us...until he started picking up our traps to take home at the end of the day.  Some strong words ensued.

After that day, I've always labelled my traps to avoid any potential confusion.  Also, I will try to change flag pattern.

I mostly jig now, but haven't had a problem since...

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Glad you got your traps back jigmaster5. You have to pay attention all the time. Made me laugh, Similar situation happened to me up in VT one time. I calmly told them that was my trap.  Went over to their bait bucket, grabbed one of their shiners , rebaited my trap and put it back in my hole where it belonged.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:13 AM »
If this fellow was talking bout labeling traps in MA he was blowing smoke or full of it. As others have said no need to label traps in MA. With any regulation consult the rule book or call an EPO don't rely on what other sportsmen say..... we are notorious for lying .
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:03 PM »
I've found a lot of gear left on the ice or in the parking lot through the years... that with name on it was returned quickly to it's owner.. the rest stock piled and latter donated to the scouts or new angler ,only once, an angler here lost something and was able to describe it and where it was lost, his mills lac chisel was returned to him...only because he posted it on shanty otherwise, I would have had another chisel.

FWIW.. I've lent traps to other anglers and have been checked by EPO's, as long as everyone was participating, licensed and attentive, they did not care whose name was on the traps.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2022, 11:27 PM »
It used to be a law on the books back in the 70's and 80's.  I remember my dad getting tip up's for my brother and me and we had to put our names on them.  That was when the " Rule Book" was a piece of legal sized paper folded several times and not the nice new 25 plus page magazine it is now.

I just went and grabbed an old trap from back then and sure enough my name was scribbled on it with my home town next to it.  Not enough room for the street address.  Had to do it with arrows too if you bow hunted. Actually surprised they didn't make us open the shotgun shells and write it on each pellet.  I don't know when it changed.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2022, 11:49 PM »
Intelligently after being told it’s a family fishing trip?  Or does he/she go off their nut by saying they all have your name on them, therefore you are over the allowed number?  I’ll vote for option one, intelligence.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Some people will make up their own non existent laws to make themselves feel smarter. I’ve seen this a lot online on hunting groups. It’s truly incredible the bologna that people share.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.