The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: This used to be my favorite website. Things really Died down. What happened?  (Read 14782 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Please and thank you.  Skip BarS.  No love.

Marinate that in some fresh garlic and hang it on a single hook...  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict

The advantage of the old fashioned forum format is it lends itself to discussion. That's the reason I come here.
That and the chance to maybe put names to faces I see on the local ice.

Sigh  :'( I miss BBS5

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Marinate that in some fresh garlic and hang it on a single hook...  ;)2

Haha!  More of a sea herring guy for that.

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
So where did all the massholes actually go? It seems like almost everyone posting here is from out of state.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is a great thread

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
here  ;D

Attendance please. Can we get a head count? I think there’s now 7 of us.  ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I am from MA, I said my bit, most of the comments have just been whining, I don't need to participate in winning. It is one of the best ways to get a long thread thought, there never seems to be a shortage of people that want to whine and b***h...

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think biggest problem is lack of ice in Mass.  Ppl get all torqued up when they can't fish.

Also, most ppl won't get a license from another state or drive more than 30m to fish (or icefish).  And once there, they won't walk more than 100 yards.

So, between a few of those factors, there's a big drop in actual icefishing & big increase in complaining.

There's ice up north on the small ponds, just have to be willing to drive there + poke around until you find some good ice.   :tipup:

After this cold snap, I bet alot of ppl will be out + about on the smaller ponds closer to home...and the reports will increase.  :D

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
As long as we keep this a positive thread, we can keep it going. If you don't have anything positive to add, keep it to yourself.
                                                                        BJ

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
I only have to say after all these comments, look around today and hope that anything you can find to make your day positive is a blessing.
So for 2022 why don't we try to make it this sight. :tipup: :tipup:
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I only have to say after all these comments, look around today and hope that anything you can find to make your day positive is a blessing.
So for 2022 why don't we try to make it this sight. :tipup: :tipup:

Good call Dick.  We need to meet up for some crappie fishing.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
Sounds good Jon
MA

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don’t ice anymore. Maybe once or twice a year. Being so close to the cape, open water all year!

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Masshole present and accounted for

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm a Mass guy still checking in once a day or so but not much to say to current threads and no worthwhile fishing of my own to talk about.

Offline The Godfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still relevant  :tipup:
Representing Team Tip-Up

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
masshole  here ;D

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi, My name is Steve, and I'm a Masshole.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I guess I’ll throw some change in the hat too…

No, I’m not from MA. Good thing that’s not the only state with solid water. When it comes to advising ice thickness, many people die every season just trying to enjoy this sport, usually with family and friends. NOBODY here wants to be responsible for ill advice that could lead to someone dying. What a lot of “instant gratifiers” don’t understand is that ice fishing is a truly dangerous activity. The surface of a frozen lake IS NOT the same as the surface of the parking lot. Regardless of experience, NOBODY can identify 100% safe ice in every condition, regardless of thickness or the air temperature. The die-hards here understand this. If you’re someone that gets upset because the responses you’re getting to thickness requests are “go find out for yourself”…. you’re being told that literally for your own safety. No one is trying to be elitist when they say that. It is truly, 100%, a safety precaution. Of course, this implies that that person actually knows how to check for safe ice. A spud is crucial and even a lot of experienced guys don’t use one. Use one. I don’t care if it’s mid winter and ice is 2’ thick. If you haven’t set foot on that particular body of water yet this year, don’t trust anyone but yourself. This is all amplified during early/late ice. Just because you see a few guys out there, doesn’t mean they just strolled out onto the ice. Those early/late guys usually tend to spud their way out to those spots. If someone was to just say “ice is good!”, a lot of people are inclined to just trot out there without a thought in the world about legitimate ice safety. And In this hobby, ignorance can and will kill you deader than crap. I do not take ice safety lightly and neither should any of us. Hence, “go find out for yourself”. It could very well save a life, literally. If you think that random strangers being concerned about your well being is “elitist”, I don’t think ice fishing is the activity for you. However, you’re probably bound to find that out one way or another anyways. Hopefully, it’s not while you’re sinking to the bottom of a 40 degree lake staring at the underside of the ice while your brain begins to shut down. And yes, that imagery is needed to drive home the importance of understanding what the hell we are doing out there. Literally risking our lives to catch a fish… I will not be responsible for your ignorance. However, I am responsible for mine and I will not tell anyone on the internet that “ice is good to go” regardless of conditions. This is especially true if a particular body of water has current, springs, or just had 600 geese land there yesterday and it’s just skim ice surrounded by “safe” ice. So much goes into ice safety to just arbitrarily advise “safe ice”. ESPECIALLY, to an out-of-towner.

Having said all of that, ice fishing is still a very niche subset of angling. Before 25 years ago, it took legitimate work and care to find these spots during winter because the fish act different when they’re capped with ice and darkness. You can’t cast. You can’t troll. Your “strike zone” is generally a 2’ wide 15’ deep sample of hundreds of thousand if not millions of gallons of water. I’ve heard guys say “I couldn’t imagine fishing without electronics and modern gear, how did everyone do it?”. That answer is passion and not too many guys are lining up to give away what took so much of them to acquire. For others that are just as passionate, they’re tough enough to wade through the jerks that just want to blow their load and go home. The jerks last by believing they’re better than everyone else. The passionate last because they know it isn’t always about catching a fish. :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Some excellent statements in here^^
Very well said RyanW👍

Offline MarkN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cow Yaker
RyanW. Best post ever!
MarkN
Cow Yaker

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
“The jerks last by believing they’re better than everyone else. The passionate last because they know it isn’t always about catching a fish.”

That quote’s “Thoreau” worthy.

Bravo!, RyanW.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
RyanW gets it... Excellent post sir.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
That's the best said on it I've seen yet. Excellent post, Sir.   :clap:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Yep ryan hit it out of the park with that post!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
well done ryan ;D

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Solid post dude!

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well said Ryan. Going out this weekend to a new area and you bet your ass my spud will be in the sled!!
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.