The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 1st Snow!!  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
1st Snow!!
« on: Sep 02, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Went camping this weekend and woke up Monday morning with 6 inches of snow!!!  Looking good for both hunting and ice fishing.  I hope I didn't just jinx us.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1st Snow!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2008, 09:15 PM »
 :o :o :o :o ;D ;D I know!!!! Loved the snow hitting the mountains and temps dropping as the week goes on!!  Hoping it gets the bulls going and some early ice.......maybe middle or end of October?

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Got a really good frost last few nights.......the all too familiar chill is finally coming back!  Is Canyon Ferry an easy place to setup for the first time on that lake or does it require a lot of studying and deductive reasoning?

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Got a really good frost last few nights.......the all too familiar chill is finally coming back!  Is Canyon Ferry an easy place to setup for the first time on that lake or does it require a lot of studying and deductive reasoning?

If go to the Silos and you follow the crowd, you should do ok.  The guys you see set up closer to shore are usually after trout while those further out are for walleye and perch.  There are exceptions of course but that will get you started.  The marina at the silos should be able to help you out with what they are biting on at the time. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2008, 04:54 PM »
wow you guys are lucky i know where im moving once i grad college

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Thanks Wall!  My lx-5 should be arriving this week sometime hopefully and will head towards the crowd but then start exploring with the flasher.  I hate to fish around lots of people and know how others feel when someone sets up right next to them.  I usually try to stay 50-100yds away from people even if they're catching fish and I'm not.  My friend said the trout are pretty good through the ice up there but have heard mixed reports on the perch and walleye fishing this last year.  Well thanks a bunch Wall and best of luck to ya!  Might bump into ya sometime on the hardwater ;).

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Snowing on the mountains again and even saw a flake :o..........Now Im starting to get the shivers for that first film of ice on the water.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Seems like that first flake of snow kinda brings on a fever. ;D Maby thats why You kinda got the shivers. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2008, 12:14 PM »
 ;D

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:16 AM »
Couple of mornings ago, went out on the deck to find the dog's waterdish had skim ice on top.  Had a strong urge to grab the Dewalt and start poppin' holes.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2008, 11:46 PM »
It is still hot around Missoula.  We had temps in high 70s this week.  We had only one morning with light frost.  I plan to take the canoe up to Canyon Ferry with a GPS and my fishfinder to mark some spots, if I can take time aside from hunting. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.