The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Lake  (Read 5214 times)

Offline WAMC

• IceShanty Rookie
Georgetown Lake
« on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:31 PM »
How has the fishing been on Georgetown lake around the pumphouse area?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Georgetown Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:43 PM »
The pump house is always good for mostly dead brown salmon.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=322974.0

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Hello IceShanty community,

This is both my first post, and my first season attempting to ice fish west of the Continental Divide (albeit certainly not my first season fishing in Montana.)  I spent the last 3 years teaching in the northeastern corner of the state, and my introduction to ice fishing consisted of tip-ups for pike on Fort Peck.  I'm now on the western half of the state (thankfully) and am definitely interested in icing some bows this winter. To that end, I have a few questions regarding the season. 

How long do trout lakes typically remain productive after the ice sets in? I'd like to head over to either Browns or Georgetown while visiting my folks in Missoula over the holidays, but don't want to waste my time on lethargic trout when I could head up the Clearwater and try my hand at pike.  Any information regarding the duration of peak trout activity, how long green weeds remain green under the ice, and when to move from the shallows to deeper water, would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Great first post:)
Actual comments and interest not just posting a number to get something for nothing :icefish:
Gtown will be productive up to closing day. You don't really need to worry about locating weeds and wether they are alive or dead.
Brows will fish later into the season too but Gtown will be way more productive.
Good luck!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2016, 01:23 PM »
MissoulaFish,

Thanks for the prompt reply!  I was debating whether or not to head to Gtown or Browns tomorrow, and I believe you just tipped the scales in favor of Gtown.  I've head very productive outings around the Badger Bay area during open-water season.  Figured I'd spend a few hours jigging there, assuming of course the weather cooperates.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2016, 01:30 PM »
No problem:)
Browns can be challenging and Gtown is always good for action.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Post your location and you may get more assistance especially with the Rainbow desire
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but Albo, do you mean to post my location once I'm out on the ice? Any assistance would certainly be appreciated.  All I have (before I head to Cabela's this evening) is 5 different colors of size 2 swedish pimples and containers of maggots and grubs.  After combing the reports, it seems like I need to focus my efforts over 20 feet of water and work the column with "aggressive jigging" (whatever that means) to bring them in.  I figured I'd run a midge dropper off the pimple or tip it with a jig/maggot.  Considering this will be my second outing, and I lack electronics, I fully suspect a skunking.  But I'd rather be outside than in!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2016, 05:28 PM »
I fully suspect a skunking.  But I'd rather be outside than in!

That's a great attitude right there !!   :thumbsup:

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Hey Rural. When fishing with Swedish pimples just keep jigging. Salmon will rarely if ever hit it when it's not moving.  If you miss a bite try slow little jigs for the salmon. I normally jig in the 10 to 14 ft range in 20 ft of water. The trout tend to commit and hit hard. Also don't be shy with using maggots and refresh often. Finally. If your in a hut try jigging where you can see your pimple. I caught a trout a like 4 ft last week and I've had salmon almost come up the hole. It's fun to jig down low and keep reeling up till you can see your jig. Good luck!

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Thank you very much for the advice icefishmissoula!  I'll definitely try out all of the above, and post the results on the reports board. 

Offline chpick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline NP406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:21 PM »
Good information!

Offline PicklesMcgee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Anybody fished Sunnyside at Georgetown this year?

Offline Cherrypicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2016, 04:15 PM »
I find fishing best in 14-17 ft of water

Offline zachaundi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2016, 04:29 PM »
I've caught a lot of salmon and a few nice brookies near the pump house this year using small jigs and and flashy spinners or spoons. I've had luck catching some nice rainbows at Comers in about 15'-20' of water using spinners.

Offline bdtheking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:13 PM »
what is the ice depth in Georgetown?

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Rural we did better this weekend fishing a small green marabou jig under a flasher with maggots for trout than anything else.  Typically rat finkees and any other small jig fished under a flasher work well, but this weekend the trout really keyed in on the small marabou jigs.  We actually did better on trout fishing them on a jawjacker (no jigging) while we jigged one rod for salmon.  Pumphouse, Badger, comers or sunnyside are great places to start your search.  Good luck on the water.

Offline MTmarabou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2017, 05:02 PM »
fished sunnyside 12/24 from 3-10pm no salmon and only 2 trout did better at comers in17 feet of water got a 10 trout an 20 salmon missed a lot of bits fished from 7-10 am on 12/25/16 hali jigs did good.

Offline iceotter88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release in bacon grease.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:31 PM »
There are no brown trout in Georgetown Lake.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:41 PM »

Pretty sure he was talking Brown's Lake !!  ;D

Offline iceotter88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release in bacon grease.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:37 PM »
I profusely apologize. I totally misread the previous posts.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:49 PM »
No worries.....Just so you know, I didn't even laugh at ya because I may have ;)2 misread them the first time as well - LOL !!

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Guys although there are not many there are browns in Georgetown lake. I have seen 3 of them caught over the years.  The last one I know of was a 8lb brown that was caught through the ice at the pump house about 7 years ago.  Wish there was a few more of them in there.

Offline Lalama

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Newbie here (need 3 posts). Since I cannot report on a page I cannot see, here is my 1st take on Gtown.

I've fished Gtown year around for over a decade.  When the sweet sound of the ice forming comes in November, I look forward to hitting the ice.  I target the salmon for their sensational smoked taste and prefer it over the taste of trout (especially if the trout are snacking on snails). To each their own, just my preference.

When it comes to salmon, you are at a major disadvantage if you cannot see them hit.  This means you need a shelter.  (Plus, it protects you from the wind.)  The salmon take is subtle and they will not hook themselves very often. 

That's my first recommendation. 

Offline Lalama

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:51 AM »
2nd take.

If you're going to put an ice shelter up on Gtown you better ice anchor it down quick. I prefer the beefy, but more expensive, Eskimo anchors and use the Eskimo ice anchor power drill adapter (obviously requires you own a cordless power drill). I've bent many smaller diameter (usually cheaper) anchors that aren't worth it.

Offline Lalama

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:57 AM »
3rd take

I like to use a maggot on a smaller hook for the salmon. The pink maggots are worthless (in my opinion). The classic white maggots (changed often) are best. Sunshine station has maggots (& I believe 7-Gables but I defer to others on their stock). 

Offline Red Boat Mark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:14 PM »

They were talking about Browns Lake.

Offline Red Boat Mark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Other cool options near Missoula are Beavertail Pond and Harpers Lake.  They get stocked with huge brood stock rainbows.  When these guys are swimming under your hole, your heart will definitely be pounding!! Harper's has really clear water so looking down the hole is a blast.  The other thing about Harpers is that it is right near all the Clearwater lakes so you can stick some pike too. 

Offline fishin4food

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on !
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:11 AM »
Harper seems to have had a bad winter kill....no one is seeing any fish or movement on their electronic equipment.
No bites..no fish.our last time out... Last time we had minus 20 below the same thing happened on that lake
And beaver tail...I'm going to try beaver tail today I'll post my results.
JOEY  SMITH  FISHIN4FOOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.