The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: underwater cameras  (Read 5238 times)

Offline allweather fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
underwater cameras
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:02 PM »
I'm thinking about getting one this year but I've been told it's hard to see in the lakes. Just curious what your opinion and experience has been with them. Tia
Here fishy fishy...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: underwater cameras
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Do you already have a fish finder?
And to answer your question, clarity is variable on every water body. They are fun to use but the bigger ones are a PIA move around. The newer, smaller, more mobile models make them more enjoyable to use but if you don't have a fish finder already, I would purchase that first.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:40 PM »
All matters the lake, depth, light, camera quality
I have been using a aqua-vu scout 2 which is a old black and white for years
In small clear lake it is the best thing in the world for ice fishing
Lakes like canyon ferry water quality is cut down to about 3-5 feet (depending on depth, shorter at night)
fishing were there is lots of fish it is a blast but if fishing is slow you just stare at a screen
but camera's really help in finding fish like weedlines rocks structure
flasher's only do so much one line could be one fish but what about the 20 behind him out of the radar cone
plus fish behavior when looking a hook is optimal , too watch fish spook from fast action but attack slow is great
my old camera(planning to upgrade this year) is not as good as the new ones, especially color for contrast, some cheap ones are not as good(not based on price, just quality)
but camera's are best if you have an idea were the fish are and aren't moving all over to find them, it helps zero them
I highly recommend them for all fishing  especially in clear lakes
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:24 PM »
I do have a fish finder I have a Marcum that works good but I've noticed when fishing long they don't always come up and I end up starring at it for hours. I'm really looking for something to use at night in the white Sulphur area but want to get something quality even if I have to spend a few extra bucks.
Here fishy fishy...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Hmmm, from what I have seen, there is limited visibility at night:(

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:46 PM »
The camera I have is useless at night.E

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Night definitely cut down on view range
My scout 2 has multiable red and blue led lights in the front that can be adjusted
Some were like the causeway with fairly murk water, day time range is about 3 feet
At night with lights it is about 2 feet but mine is old
my buddy has a vexilar double vision and his in the day is about 5 feet and 3 at night
that model has 2 white light and switches from color, to high contrast black and white at night 
again clearer water is better
I have also seen a aqua vu with their flood light attachment that worked great, you could see it down the ice hole
also are you fishing from a shack, at night it does not matter but in day even the best "suncreens" can be a bit hard to see

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:31 PM »
I also got the aqua-vu scout which is black and white only.  Its a old one.  I can only see about 5-9 feet out.  I highly recommend the new cams they are coming out with as I have to upgrade soon

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I bought the MarCum with the color 8" monitor last year and it is a blast pulling fish up to heaven.  Had a few days out where the water was so dirty that I just left it in the truck, but my go to is the sonar.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:30 PM »
I bought the Marcum LX-9 a couple of seasons back. It gives you the ability to record the video. Maybe the best way to make a decision is to look at some video.

I never fish without mine any more. The LX-9 has the sonar and video, and you can overlay the sonar over the video. I fish a couple of lakes mostly all winter. For those I just use the camera. When we go to Fort Peck and Nelson I use the sonar more for searching and then when we find a good spot I set up the camera. Last year at Peck we found a great point with a ton of  Pike. We jigged them and thought I had a bunch of great footage, but when I got home realized that before the trip when I had downloaded a software update for the unit, The directions didn't say anything about formatting the Micro SD card before recording, so I lost all of that footage! That sucked! I love that LX-9 and am so glad I paid the extra bucks for it.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I love my Marcum cam.  I don't get caught up looking for fish, mostly I use it to confirm structure and bottom composition.  I fish mainly for lake trout, so the cam has it's spot along with my flasher and the Navionics app.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline levimt04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:17 PM »
just bought a Aqua-Vu Av715C going to try it this weekend. i have never used one and we going out for the first time this year

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I really can't afford one of those high end cameras and was wondering what people think about one of these. I know it's Chinese junk but it's got me interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400807725374?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ken...........

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:26 PM »
My worry with that would be how the screen will work in the cold. Also looks by the pics that camera hangs straight down

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:39 PM »
for less price options aqua view micro is probably the cheapest I would go
most cameras out there hang horizontal but most can point down vertically

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:55 PM »
The micro looks interesting for running and gunning and you can clip the camera.

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:24 PM »
for less price options aqua view micro is probably the cheapest I would go
most cameras out there hang horizontal but most can point down vertically
  How good does a fishfinder screen work in the cold ? As far as hanging down there are two loops on the top  to hook the cable so it hangs horizontally. I'm thinking of taking the chance and put my order in for Christmas.

Ken......

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Do you mean a fish finder screen or camera screen? My vex screen isn't affected by cold. The
Digital units will be affected at some
Point though.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:13 PM »
if your talking screens on the cameras, most of the good modern LCD or LED ones are heated
the cold mostly affect's the battery more than screen, battery life is still very good thou
as for hanging, most start horizontally but nearlly all of them have a fin or clip of sorts to make them hang point down pointing torwards bottom
i think but have not seen all the micro's, they have an attachable loop that hooks on cord to turn them

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:56 PM »
  How good does a fishfinder screen work in the cold ? As far as hanging down there are two loops on the top  to hook the cable so it hangs horizontally. I'm thinking of taking the chance and put my order in for Christmas.

Ken......

If you get one I would be interested to hear how it works. That is a pretty good price if it performs. 

I have a cheap cabelas one that I've had for about 5 years and it just keeps workin. It useless in the sun but works great in the shack. Think I got it for $100. Wish it would stop workin so I could upgrade.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the c fish camera? I've done a bit of research and it seems to be a good one for night fishing but wanted to see if anyone has used it before.
Here fishy fishy...

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2020, 04:58 PM »
Just digging up an old post. I now have the Marcum Pancam and have been very disappointed in it. The first year I had it the motor that spins the camera went out and they replaced it . Then slowly the picture got worse and worse to the point that it was hard to find my jig 2 feet away. When I pull it up water runs out of it for a couple of minutes which is not right. Anyway I just bought one of these. We'll see how it works out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30m-9-inch-1000TVL-LCD-IR-Underwater-Video-Camera-8GB-Fish-Finder-DVR-Waterproof/133557673582?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ken..........

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2020, 06:42 PM »
I'm a 5 year owner of an entry level aquavu micro unit.  The biggest advice id give is to spend some money on one of the better models.  Mine is absolutely useless at night in anything but crystal clear water.  Even during daytime in cloudy water the IR creates a snowstorm effect, and you have no control over turning it off.  My unit is currently dead.  I believe the camera has a compromised seal.  This is the second camera that has died.

Also I don't know about other companies warranty, but after my first year my first camera quit working and aqua-vu told me I was S.O.L. since my warranty was up.

Offline Jigapig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Cameras are cool to learn the terrain or body of water you are on for sure. Also to watch "body language" of fish is pretty cool... I use mine in soft water on lakes and rivers, but not the ice.... I especially use in the rivers in my jet boat to see how fish relate to current and structure. However... In my opinion, as far as "ice" fishing goes, cameras  are waaaaaaaay too much of a "time killer" Pain in the butt to use because of lack of mobility....  I guess if you are gonna drill a couple hole and rot for the day they are ok? (Camera's tend to make guys do that) lol.  If I had to choose between a flasher and camera.... I would pick flasher hands down!!! Hole hopping, drop the ducer, jig for a bit... No marks, press on to next hole!!!   

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:38 PM »
This is something I have been considering for a few years, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm not really interested in the novelty of watching fish take my bait. Although checking to see if they are refusing could be a time saver.  I could really use it for finding structure and weeds without waiting for summer to use a mask and snorkel.

oldschoolben

« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2020, 06:15 AM »
I have a Marcum pan cam , but not too happy with it, the motor has stopped working for the second time,  I do not recommend this camera

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:32 AM »
I have one of the original aqua view cameras, [ 15yrs old]
It works good.
The grand kids like to see the fish eat their bait.
Helps keep them interested in fishing.
I also use it on Fortpeck to view structure.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:33 AM »
I bought the AV Micro Revolution Pro 5.0 a couple years ago and love it. It easily fits in parka pocket or  in hand muff which makes it very easy to be mobile with. Has 50 or 60 ' cable and a built in cable management system drop and lower the camers with. Camera can hang parallel, look of or look down. Sometimes they have a promo and through in a case with the camera when you buyt it. Camera is 450 on Amazon, 460 on AV site but if you through in the promo code of vip2020 it knocks the price down to 329$ on the AV site.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:51 AM »
This is something I have been considering for a few years, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm not really interested in the novelty of watching fish take my bait. Although checking to see if they are refusing could be a time saver.  I could really use it for finding structure and weeds without waiting for summer to use a mask and snorkel.

I’ve resisted thus far as well.  Poking around with a camera on a non-fishing day seems like a fun exercise for the biologist in me but I guess there’s a limit to how much of the mystery I want revealed while fishing.

That said, I do enjoy the videos Steve posts.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Walleye Doug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2020, 08:28 PM »
I bought the Marcum LX-9 a couple of seasons back. It gives you the ability to record the video. Maybe the best way to make a decision is to look at some video.

I never fish without mine any more. The LX-9 has the sonar and video, and you can overlay the sonar over the video. I fish a couple of lakes mostly all winter. For those I just use the camera. When we go to Fort Peck and Nelson I use the sonar more for searching and then when we find a good spot I set up the camera. Last year at Peck we found a great point with a ton of  Pike. We jigged them and thought I had a bunch of great footage, but when I got home realized that before the trip when I had downloaded a software update for the unit, The directions didn't say anything about formatting the Micro SD card before recording, so I lost all of that footage! That sucked! I love that LX-9 and am so glad I paid the extra bucks for it.

Nice fish and great video, especially for 6 years ago. I like to think they’ve only improved in camera quality since 2014.

Nothing more frustrating than watching a fish miss in between jigs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.