Author Topic: ice flie droppers  (Read 1491 times)

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
ice flie droppers
« on: Feb 09, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Just started using ice flies as droppers and have been getting great results.  Wanted to let anyone who is not using them know about them.  I tie my own on a number 12-14 nymph hook with a copper bead head. I use black thread and a 50/50 mix of black dubbing and black flash dubbing.  They are quick and easy to tie.  I have tried other colors with success but on my favorite lake black works the best.  I tie the dropper 12 to 18 inches above my jig head.  This time of year I am using very small jigs ( smaller then my ice fly) tipped with 1-2 spikes.  The fly works a lot better without any bait on it.  It seems more fish hit the jig after looking at the ice fly but the biggest bluegills I have caught this year have all hit the fly.  This has really worked for me on picky midwinter blue gills.

Offline chipster

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice flie droppers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:26 AM »
any chance you could include a photo of your flies and rigging?

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I will try to take a few pictures and post them tomarrow night when I get home from work.  I just have to read the topic board on how to post photos.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I always wanted to try the ice fly dropper trick. Maybe this weekend.

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:39 PM »
They work great.  I will post some photos tomarrow.  Had to deal with a little plumbing problem this evening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.