The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maine Winterfest and Chevrolet Derby 2008  (Read 16260 times)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Re: Sebago Derby
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Does anybody know for certain how that whole fiasco turned out with the first place togue ???
the guy who won is the father of a friend of mine from auburn area.  He went through whatever the derby made him do and everything stayed the same..  his take on it was that there was people there were upset because he waited till the end of the last day to turn his fish in, and also he won first and also won the raffle for the snowmobiles.  I know someone on here was defending the second places guys oppinion last year, that the winner cheated, or didn't catcht he fish, even though i have seen the photos of him yardin the togue through the hole,  so I am not stepping on any toes when I say this, but the guy feels it was a "sore Loser attitude" caused the problem.  Since the second place guy I think was in first place the whole weekend until the winner rolled in at the end with the 9+ lb togue.. (which he caught sunday afternoon have you) But that is not against the rule, don't need to turn you fish in right away.  Its over, but I think because this was pressed so much in the public eye that the prize pool has suffered because of it..

Offline Danny Boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pêcheur d'Esox
Re: Maine Winterfest and Chevrolet Derby 2008
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:03 AM »
i'm not impressed with the prizes seems like there getting less each year.  check out the prizes for the lake winnapasaukee derby those are some prizes. they give alot more cash prizes and more prizes overall. what do you guys think. i know the prizes are not that bad. where's the ice shack.

laker
Could this be due to the addition of the Statewide Derby on March 8th and 9th?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:06 AM »
the guy who won is the father of a friend of mine from auburn area.  He went through whatever the derby made him do and everything stayed the same..  his take on it was that there was people there were upset because he waited till the end of the last day to turn his fish in, and also he won first and also won the raffle for the snowmobiles.  I know someone on here was defending the second places guys oppinion last year, that the winner cheated, or didn't catcht he fish, even though i have seen the photos of him yardin the togue through the hole,  so I am not stepping on any toes when I say this, but the guy feels it was a "sore Loser attitude" caused the problem.  Since the second place guy I think was in first place the whole weekend until the winner rolled in at the end with the 9+ lb togue.. (which he caught sunday afternoon have you) But that is not against the rule, don't need to turn you fish in right away.  Its over, but I think because this was pressed so much in the public eye that the prize pool has suffered because of it..

Thanks Blaster :tipup:

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:07 AM »

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:05 PM »
It looks like the big prizes took a big hit this year.  First place went from a boat, motor and trailer to an 8000 dollar snowmobile.  Second is a 42 inch TV.

I spoke with one of the guys who runs the derby.  They made a decision this year to give out more prizes than last year.  To do this, they decreased the value of some of the bigger prizes.  It makes sense to me, they still offer a truck, its hard to get bigger than that I guess.

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:07 PM »
i'm not impressed with the prizes seems like there getting less each year.  check out the prizes for the lake winnapasaukee derby those are some prizes. they give alot more cash prizes and more prizes overall. what do you guys think. i know the prizes are not that bad. where's the ice shack.

laker
Winnie's total prize pool is $59,000- $30 entry
Sebago/ Statewide pool is $63,000- $30 entry

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Hey tom, need anything for the derby besides me helping in the kids derby?

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I'm from NY and I am coming up for the tourney. I was just wondering if you need to register in advanced or if I can register when I get there?

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I'm from NY and I am coming up for the tourney. I was just wondering if you need to register in advanced or if I can register when I get there?
you can do either, on the website or when you get here, the website is easier I think

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:06 PM »
you can do either, on the website or when you get here, the website is easier I think

Thanks

I was also wondering were is a good place to sign up around the lake? And is there a limit to how many people can enter? Also I have heard the tourney is just for the biggest lake trout, or is there other categories?

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Also I have heard the tourney is just for the biggest lake trout, or is there other categories?
Lake trout it is.. ;)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Just wondering how many people usually attend this tourney?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:41 PM »
3,000+

Offline Striper King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Proud Member of The "KENNEBEC WATER WATCHERS"
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I might consider fishing it if they were giving away a Ford or an Arctic Cat. :)

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:06 PM »
I might consider fishing it if they were giving away a Ford or an Arctic Cat. :)

If you win trade the chevy for a ford......... ;D
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline MoosePondFan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Im headed up from here in Ny with a crew to fish the Derby. Were meeting up with a bunch of you Mainiacs that live by my uncle and a couple of guys from NH. Im hoping I have a great time for my first year up there. Ill be wearing my colors Id like to meet some of ya Maine boys.
Packman

Pack! It sounds like you've been hitting them hard this season! Have you been up to Champlain? Lake George?
I can't wait 'til the Sebago Derby. We are going to have a great time! I don't know about the Six wheeler - there's alot of snow on the lake. Too bad we don't have a sled! We had 40" of snow last week and there's more coming down today. Gotta just love Maine! We'll fish Moose Pond on Thursday, Long Lake on Friday and then Sebago over the weekend. I'll probably be out on Moose Pond this weekend - if I'm not shoveling snow. See you next thursday! JAD
GO PATRIOTS!!!

JAD

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
Sebago Derby- (I'll be the first to start)
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:48 AM »
 I'll be heading down in 7 days, so I thought I might start the chatter a little.  Last year I was in the hospital with the little guy, and missed a lot of the pre-derby talk.

Where's everyone planning on going and who's fishing together this year?  I plan on being on the ice sometime friday afternoon to check some ice and get a good idea about travel on the lake.  I might even wet a few lines as well.  It looks like another poor year for fishing the big basin, so I guess I'll have to modify things a little from where I fished on Sunday last year.

Offline madfisherdude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sebago Derby- (I'll be the first to start)
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:58 AM »
i'll be out there...i know a couple spots i'm checking out...away from the crowds :-*

Offline PACKMAN241982

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THE BEERS SLUSHY GET A STRAW! FLATLANDER
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Ill be there wensdays night and chekcing things out on thursday morning.
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I'll be there for sure!!

We putting a little wager on this expedition? Nice friendly competition... or you just to scared you get your butt kicked again? :flex:

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:18 AM »
I'll take that challenge!  How's $500 for the most fish on the jig rod sound? I'd also be willing to go another $25 a fish for every one after 20. 
You aren't going to cut a hole 2 ft from mine again like last weekend are ya??  :-*

Offline bassmasteresm07

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish, Forced to work.
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:19 AM »
will be there hopefully all week lets go team maine
Lifes a Lake, So shut up and Fish it!
I GET MY SUPPLIES AT MASTERBAIT AND TACKEL

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I'll take that challenge!  How's $500 for the most fish on the jig rod sound? I'd also be willing to go another $25 a fish for every one after 20. 
You aren't going to cut a hole 2 ft from mine again like last weekend are ya??  :-*

So you want to lose a grand for a weekend of fishing?? Okay, I'm up for it!! This is going to be like taking candy from a kid!!!  :-*
I'll fish on the other side of the lake from you if that makes you feel any better... But somehow we will need to have judges with us to verify each fish caught!!

Offline madfisherdude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:26 AM »
how do you know you guys are gonna catch anything.... a week away and your already bettin like that? :cookoo: :wacko:

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:27 AM »
how do you know you guys are gonna catch anything.... a week away and your already bettin like that? :cookoo: :wacko:

CONFIDENCE!!! Only way to fish ;)

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I've never been let down before.  We've had day's where we were throwing back 20 fish after having 5 under 23" on the ice. 
We may as well be within shouting distance of each other since, there are very few places on the lake like that, that I know of.   Just as long as you don't throw me out of my own hole again! >:(
Also, I think I'm going to have to keep close tabs on my jig box this time.....I have all kinds of stuff missing. ;D

It's going to be your money anyway.......why do you think the wages are so high?  ;)

Offline bassmaster99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:40 AM »
how much water everyone fishin in? sucker? shiner? ill be deep, bout 80 ft or so. thats about all i know now, havnt checked ice yet

Tight Lines

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #57 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:50 AM »
I'll be throwing everything at them, but it will all be big bait on the traps.  I can usually take care of my drawing fish with the jig rod.  As far as water goes.......I'll have traps in as little as 40ft and as deep as I can get, ice conditions permitting.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I've never been let down before.  We've had day's where we were throwing back 20 fish after having 5 under 23" on the ice. 
We may as well be within shouting distance of each other since, there are very few places on the lake like that, that I know of.   Just as long as you don't throw me out of my own hole again! >:(
Also, I think I'm going to have to keep close tabs on my jig box this time.....I have all kinds of stuff missing. ;D

It's going to be your money anyway.......why do you think the wages are so high?  ;)

The only reason your missing stuff from your box is you forgot where you put it!!! I gave you back the one you let me borrow...

The wage is fine with me... I can't wait!!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #59 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:56 AM »

you needed the support :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.