• !
Re: Pike
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Red is on the loose!!!  You tell em Red!  :bow: :flex:

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Im only 29,pictures of my grandfather with some nice bass back then. It hasnt hurt the bass fishing,we still do very good with the bass.
well im 30 and lived near sabbatus all my life i know how the fishing was years ago and it hasent changed much unless you like white pearch my issue is not with sabattus it with them going ever where else that flows in or out of it if we could keep them in just this one water body it would be fine but now there in half the lakes and rivers in the area its just frustrating

Offline natureboy79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:03 AM »
we still catch a ton of whites!

My name is Andy and i'm a fishaholic....

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:04 AM »
40 years ago it was a sewer there. Bass fishing was good but the water stained my boat.

Leave the pike alone if you are not going to eat them. You kill the big ones and it causes MORE pike not less. Try reading up on the subject before you go on you mission of ignorance and wanton waste.

To compare only, How would you guys like it if I went on a mission to KILL every wild Brook Trout that I legally can? What would you think if all of us that liked fishing for Pike joined me in this. You clowns would get pretty pissed off is what would happen.

Did you ever think that some of this piking that is going on is in direct response to trout fisherman on missions to kill the pike or their efforts to dictate policy to the state.

It is noticed by others as well. Perhaps each new place you see pike is like the bucket bios saying well you dicked this place up, hell lets dick up their favorite spot. Perhaps you fish wasters will figure this out before someplace real special gets piked, like Rangely. I don't endorse this in any way but I have heard talk like this.

The irony is you people on the pike killing mission are making the problem worse not better.

It is like the Xfiles -- The truth is out there. This has all been done elsewhere. I was taught to eat/use what I catch. You ask me we need a wanton waste law that makes this fools errand of tossing fish on the ice against the law.

Go ahead flame away, I expect the usual suspects to trot out the usual rhetoric. You can thank TU and that bunch for this kind of thinking.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:10 AM »
it just amazes me of how much ignorance there is on this site just because people like fishing for pike dosent mean they shold be in ever water in the f#$#55 state!!!!!! we are really screwing ourselves and no i dont go out fishing for pike but if i catch 1 while fishing for trout well its not going back !

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:19 AM »
uh oh...this is going to get ugly

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:20 AM »
it just amazes me of how much ignorance there is on this site just because people like fishing for pike dosent mean they shold be in ever water in the f#$#55 state!!!!!! we are really screwing ourselves and no i dont go out fishing for pike but if i catch 1 while fishing for trout well its not going back !

i guess every brook trout i catch wont go back in the water either
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:21 AM »
if you don't like this site, then move along

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:22 AM »
because people like fishing for pike dosent mean they shold be in ever water in the f#$#55 state!!!!!!

I agree with this, unfortunately you cannot put the genie back in the bottle. What is called for now is control and a plan. Sorta like the pike plan that the state used to have, and canceled.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:24 AM »
uh oh...this is going to get ugly
yaeh well i dont care its already ugly  >:( the pike are everywhere just because a few people like to catch them dosent mean its right to put them where ever you want!! it running rampant in the areas i like to fish narrows sebago cobbosee LAKE AUBURN ! thats just to name a few it just makes me sick that people think because they like pike they can screw up ever body of water they want!!!!!!!!

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:27 AM »
I agree with this, unfortunately you cannot put the genie back in the bottle. What is called for now is control and a plan. Sorta like the pike plan that the state used to have, and canceled.
thats what im saying we need to do something!! its out of control pretty soon all we are going to have to fish for is pike i think alot of people feel this way!! we need to relize what is happening for crying out loud there in sebago and lake auburn   look at how long pond in the belgrades is doing!!!

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:35 AM »
rob,

You are too extreme man, the pike do not ruin everywhere. They can and do co-exist many places. How do you explain that some of the best trout and salmon fisheries are in Canada where they have pike and bass in every lake.

The doing something... Yes we should be doing something. We should be trying to manage these fish so that the lake can find an equilibrium. It should not include some misguided kill all the pike movement that actually creates more pike.

Pike are like coyotes in that, when pressured they have larger litters with better survival rates. Thus the hammer handle pike domination you are seeing in Sabattus right now. These hungry mouths will eat the lake out of forage. Not a 25 pound pike that eats MANY MANY pike of a smaller size.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:38 AM »
im against bucket biology, but leaving fish on the ice because it's not yer target species is very unsportsman like. same thing as shooting a duck or bird and not taking the responsibility to pick it up and consume it. eat what you kill, "you have to kill it before you grill it."

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:41 AM »
so im going to assume you fish lake auburn if im wrong im sorry     how do you think this is going to affect the salmon and touge? have you ever fished the nesinscott{spell} the trout are in a steady decline i used to go there and catch 20 - 30  a day good luck with that now!!

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:42 AM »
As to Long Lake? Great Pike fishing and also great Brown fishing. I fished it 4 or 5 times this past summer and didn't even catch a pike. Caught SMB, Salmon and Brown Trout up to 4.5 pounds.

You see I didn't target the pike that are mostly at the lower end of the lake near the structure. That is why I didn't get into them They like different areas of the lake mostly.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Yes, I fish Lake Auburn. Caught some nice togue and salmon last year. I have not heard that there is a confirmed case of pike in there yet. If there is, then they will set up shop up to the end of the lake and in the weeds, not over the deep holes off tabors that I catch the fish suspended over.

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:49 AM »
rob,

You are too extreme man, the pike do not ruin everywhere. They can and do co-exist many places. How do you explain that some of the best trout and salmon fisheries are in Canada where they have pike and bass in every lake.

The doing something... Yes we should be doing something. We should be trying to manage these fish so that the lake can find an equilibrium. It should not include some misguided kill all the pike movement that actually creates more pike.

Pike are like coyotes in that, when pressured they have larger litters with better survival rates. Thus the hammer handle pike domination you are seeing in Sabattus right now. These hungry mouths will eat the lake out of forage. Not a 25 pound pike that eats MANY MANY pike of a smaller size.

Well said Jim....This pike thing is fairly new to the state and they are not going anywhere...Other places have great pike and trout/salmon in the same lake....It's all about management and the state will figure it out eventually....To try and do it yourself is just making the situation worse and like I said before, it is just not being a good sportsman leaving them to rot.  So you can whine and cry but why not enjoy another great fishery.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Yes, I fish Lake Auburn. Caught some nice togue and salmon last year. I have not heard that there is a confirmed case of pike in there yet. If there is, then they will set up shop up to the end of the lake and in the weeds, not over the deep holes off tabors that I catch the fish suspended over.
yaeh they are in there >:( >:( and no they will follow the bait ive caugt them in 45'of water fishing for browns the biggest pike i saw caught was in long pond last year in about 25 feet of water

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Well said Jim....This pike thing is fairly new to the state and they are not going anywhere...Other places have great pike and trout/salmon in the same lake....It's all about management and the state will figure it out eventually....To try and do it yourself is just making the situation worse and like I said before, it is just not being a good sportsman leaving them to rot.  So you can whine and cry but why not enjoy another great fishery.
thats funny they were in belgrades 20 yaers or so ago then all of a sudden they are all over the place and as for enjoying them i dont want to i like fishing for other fish !

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:53 AM »
You were fishing for Browns in Lake Auburn ??? ??? ??? You sure? All they have is salmon and togue. and SMB.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Taylor pond?

Offline Jigga

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Camp Wabanaki
« Reply #50 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:54 AM »

That's where I caught one 3 years ago, near the outlet. 
Only real fisherman ICE FISH !!!!!!!!!

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:58 AM »
no in other lakes    and yes they used to stock browns in the outlet  or are you talking about pike in the outlet?? and yes i know the difference between salmon and browns  ;D ;D i just saw that coming

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Not saying you are wrong at all, I just haven't hear of that yet.

Trust me here, I AM AGAINST ALL BUCKET BIOLOGY. It is wrong. Just like this misguided effort to eradicate pike via fishing.

What we need is rational thought on how to control them. That is the best we can do at this point. Alas Maine seems to want to re-invent the wheel on this one. We could look to the scientists that have a hundred years of data and enact a trophy fishery law. Oh wait, we did that for a while and TU didn't like it.

I would much rather see us selling pike fishing guided trips than wild brook trout guided trips. I think the WBT are too precious to exploit.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:02 AM »
yeah i agree but if you catch a pike in a wbt water are you going to put it back?

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Got me ??? ??? ???

hope I never am faced with that.

Trust me when I say I hate bucket bios just as much as crusading do gooders.

I like to practice the art of what is possible and try and waste little energy on "what if" questions.

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:07 AM »
ok robb, you are right...is that what you want to hear.....its like arguing with my 3 year old

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:08 AM »
You think the pike are bad. Lets hope that the snake head doesn't find its way here. That thing can crawl on land. Sorry about the what if question JimP
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:10 AM »
hey im not saying if i was fishing for pike i would kill them all im just saying we need to be more aware of whats goingon   and yes it has happened  martin stream for example wbt  and PIKE just trying to wake people up i think it may have worked ! so what if i left yellow perch on the ice ?  i  know nobody does that either right ;D ;D

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I hate to see the perch wasted....that is why I either throw them back or smoke them...Let me ask you a what if question. If all the trout and salmon were gone and there were just "junkfish" like perch and pike, would you quit fishing?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:14 AM »
ok robb, you are right...is that what you want to hear.....its like arguing with my 3 year old
no im not looking for you to tell me im right i really dont care  if you think im right or wrong  ;D but its exactly what other people do if they dont agree with what i post   we all need to relize we need to work together on this pike do not belong everwhere

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.