The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 25184 times)

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pike
« Reply #60 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I hate to see the perch wasted....that is why I either throw them back or smoke them...Let me ask you a what if question. If all the trout and salmon were gone and there were just "junkfish" like perch and pike, would you quit fishing?
lets hope that dosent happen!! because we will have more problems than we can imagine

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:17 AM »
If all the trout and salmon were gone and there were just "junkfish" like perch and pike, would you quit fishing?

I'd move somplace else.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:19 AM »
I'd move somplace else.
yeah someplace where  ;Dthey kill all bucket bioligists

Offline skully

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:23 AM »
if you dont like to eat them throw them back so someone else may have a chance to have a good meal we are all sportsman here lets try and act like one

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:25 AM »
if you dont like to eat them throw them back so someone else may have a chance to have a good meal we are all sportsman here lets try and act like one
how many lakes are infested with them over by you i hear norway lake was next on there list ;D

Offline Jigga

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Camp Wabanaki
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:33 AM »
I hate to see the perch wasted....that is why I either throw them back or smoke them

Do you get a good buzz??  I'll try anything once. ;D
Only real fisherman ICE FISH !!!!!!!!!

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #66 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I really don't disagree with you on all things, there is a problem, no question.  It is a very good topic and obviously controversial.  My point was just that perhaps we should embrace the pike where they are(because they are not going anywhere) and hope a solution is brought forward and implemented that will work.  I never thought there would be 30 other guys out on arrowhead jigging crappie with me because they were a junkfish, but that has taken off and most embrace them.  I used to see tons of crappie on the ice left to rot and now can't remember the last time I saw one.

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #67 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Yeah, but  its hard to light! ;D

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Do you get a good buzz??  I'll try anything once. ;D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Bluefin I am surprised you havent been involved in this.  

Here I go.  Rob you are just a complete how can I say this politely a bad guy !!!  I dont agree with illegal stocking but come on kill everyone that is absolutly ridiculous.  Pike and trout have co existed for years and years look to the midwest for example they have a thriving trout and pike population.  Places like Sabattus if we were to kill the pike in that lake then the local economy would take a small hit.  Bass and perch would be the only thingz left then all of a sudden who wants to fish for bass in ice water.  I dont.  I LOVE PIKE !!!!!  Spent the weekend up at moosehead and still am not convinced about cold water over warmwater species.  But to each his own and for you to come on here and cause all this hate and discontent that is just plain old ignorance.  To me fishing isnt for food to me it is a sport, love, hobby, relaxation.  I just enjoy it and you can enjoy the fight of a pike and the beautiful creature that it is stay of the Pike waters and just leave them the hell alone.  Just my .02 and I am sure others feel strongly about the way I feel.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:39 AM »
I really don't disagree with you on all things, there is a problem, no question.  It is a very good topic and obviously controversial.  My point was just that perhaps we should embrace the pike where they are(because they are not going anywhere) and hope a solution is brought forward and implemented that will work.  I never thought there would be 30 other guys out on arrowhead jigging crappie with me because they were a junkfish, but that has taken off and most embrace them.  I used to see tons of crappie on the ice left to rot and now can't remember the last time I saw one.
i dont think ive seen any fish rotting on the ice   the animals seem to clean the up pretty fast

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:44 AM »
The animals do take care of some, but I have been out and seen piles of crappie and perch left to rot that were untouched by animals..There was a thread about it a few years back expressing displeasure in this...I still feel the same way but I don't believe it is nearly such a problem now.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:44 AM »
(because they are not going anywhere)

I disagree on this one.  They continue to migrate into new waters by themselves every year.  Even if all bucket biology stopped today Pike would continue to expand their waters.  :'(  I think what people forget is that it isn't just the lake thats effected, it's the entire river drainage.  Now that they are in Pushaw they'll spread throughout the Penobscot drainage, now that they are in Mosher they'll spread thoughout the Sandy drainage and into an area of the Kennebec previously unaffected.  I agree that there is no way at eradication but I believe in containment.  I've fished the Belgrades and Sabattus for Pike and let what I didn't want go (kept one to register in the tourney last year, tried to eat it but made a mess out of it trying to fillet it  :-[)  but if I were to catch one in a pond recently introduced with Pike I'd kill them. No way we can eradicate them but in new waters I believe that we can at least slow there spread.  Not bashing Pike, they are certainly fun to catch but I think we should try and contain them to their current waters.  Keep thinking about wanting to hit the Belgrades anybody want to go soon?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:47 AM »
thats awful there in the penobscott >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( can they get up river towards ripp dam

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:51 AM »
thats awful there in the penobscott >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( can they get up river towards ripp dam
If they dropped down out of Pushaw stream (they are already moving as I've heard they are in Mud Pond) they'd be in the Penoby above Old Town so they'd be able to spread down over the dams downstream or up as far as the dam in Howland.  There'd be quite a few dams they'd have to go over before they got to Rip.  I'm not familiar enought with those dams to know if there's fishways on them?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:52 AM »
if you don't like this site, then move along
never said i dont like it  you think that because i dont agree with you?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:53 AM »
If they dropped down out of Pushaw stream (they are already moving as I've heard they are in Mud Pond) they'd be in the Penoby above Old Town so they'd be able to spread down over the dams downstream or up as far as the dam in Howland.  There'd be quite a few dams they'd have to go over before they got to Rip.  I'm not familiar enought with those dams to know if there's fishways on them?
god i hope not   there goes the atlantic salmon fishery rebounding GOD I HATE THIS!!

Offline bbpinecone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Bass can greatly effect managed trout ponds too, so should we start taking every bass too?
If you are fishing an S-13 pond, why not as long as you use 'em?  Bass have grown good cucumbers and pumpkins in my garden the last several years.  If the fishing has gone down the tubes because of a bass introduction (see shin pond, upper cold stream, etc) might as well get some decent veggies out of it.   Makes for some nice rich compost too ;D 

There are stocking programs in place for your cold water fish,not the case for bass,pike,perch etc.
These species don't need ANY help maintaining their numbers...  ::)

That said, it doesn't make sense to me to kill pike for no good reason in shallow warmwater ponds like Sabattus.  They are too much fun to catch!  But some people will, and I guess I don't care either way as long as they are used for SOMETHING and not just thrown in the trash.  Wanton waste (I mean more than a fish for the birds here or there) is a shame and does reflect poorly on sportsman... 

One more thing and I'm done -  I don't think pike in any Maine water should be actively managed by regulations or any other means to produce trophy fish.  Seems to me like rewarding the bad guys for the illegal stocking (and even encouraging more)...  Just another opinion (and you what they say opinions are like!)    :tipup: 

Good luck with this debate - was only a matter of time!! :D

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:04 PM »
glad you could join us!!

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:37 PM »
I'm normally not much on calling for new laws, but we really need a wanton waste law in Maine like a lot of other states have. It just seems immoral and irresponsible  to catch these fish and then leave them on the ice. I've seen the same thing happen with cusk and it's just not right.

Not that I'm condoning the bucket biologists either because I think anyone caught at that should be strung up by their thumbs in the town square, but these pike have become established and a fair number of folks have come to enjoy them. As far as eating them goes, if you like to eat fish give them a fair try. A properly cared for and prepared piece of pike is dam good eats ;D

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:40 PM »
i hope you guys eat all the mice you catch too ;D

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Ya know, lobster was once considered trash and used as garden fertilizer and fed to prisoners as cheap food. It seems to have garnered a new image for some reason ;D

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:50 PM »
what ?  there is lobster in sabattus?
born to fish forced to work 

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:52 PM »
what ?  there is lobster in sabbatus?

sure are......that's cause they've been weeding out all the smaller crayfish and letting the big one's go back   ;)

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:57 PM »
You guys are hopeless ;D ;D

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Red is on the loose!!!  You tell em Red!  :bow: :flex:

Hey just throwing my two cents in there!  No need to put anymore in, it's all been said by everyone else  ;D

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Hey just throwing my two cents in there!  No need to put anymore in, it's all been said by everyone else  ;D
  some people feel they need to throw in a quarter ::)
born to fish forced to work 

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:14 PM »
it just amazes me of how much ignorance there is on this site...

that's why im telling you that if you don't like the sight, then you can leave. calling people on this site ignorant is not gonna get you anywhere
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:58 PM »
Well i didn't mean to get anyone upset "ya rite"But there are no trout or salmon in that pond if it were moosehead everyone would be mad.But i live on sabattus and for the past for years its gone down hill.My son asked what happend dad we used to do well in here?The only thing i can say is that some people "robbinfish"don't like the pike so they kill everyone.Ive never seen him this upset well he told me that if we shoot a deer and its not what we want do we just leve it there or TROUT do we put them on the ice becouse we dont fish for them.He was being smart but i got his point.He also said its to bad his little 2 year old brother may not be able to enjoy it becouse of stupid people then he said not stupid ignorant for killing something just because.

well i was hoping those guys out on the lake read iceshanty but i think not just don't fish it if you don't want to catch them.Leave them there for the kids to catch something that's as long as them and allmost as heavy.

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Robb,

I feel your pain, man, and forgive me if I don't get involved in the debate, but I was where you are a couple of years ago, and I was slammed pretty bad.

Sst,

I really dont think Robb deserves to be called a "bad person" just for his beliefs. It is his right, as a license holding fisherman, to do and believe what he wants. I realize you love pike, he doesn't, but name calling....c'mon that's not OK.

TK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.