The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 25182 times)

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike
« Reply #270 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Big trout eat smaller trout too...

There are plenty of videos of that on youtube also...

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:03 AM »
If the practice you do is Legal, that and that alone should guide you in your actions on and off the Ice. The rest involves your and my reputation as a fisherman & sportsman.This debate about Pike having a place in Maine legal or not, IF&W position on management or not ,Invasive or not, leave or put back into the water where you caught it ,will not change the fact that this Fish is here to stay. We cant cage them in certain Ponds or lakes. It is illegal to transport them to another body of water.There has been many intelligent people who have commented here with facts.Thank-You. To those who are bashing someone Else's opinion or practices shame on you. Tick for Tack practice sounds childish. Don't ask,Don't tell if it bothers you . Just make it legal and ethical. We all know the difference. Just my 2C.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

rude the dude

« Reply #272 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:34 AM »
A pikes primary food source is spinney fish.  Do you really think a twenty pound pike is going to chase a 2lb salmon around when it has a ball of white perch the size of a house to feed on. People say pike eat all the salmon and trout but until a couple years ago no one had any proof.  then finally after all these years some one gets ONE   with a three pound brown in it.  Bio statement on Wildfire one time -" We know pike eat salmon although we have never found one in there stomach." Then how do they know.  I know a loon will eat a 18 in salmon. Like a cormarant swallowing a pogie. I've seen that with my own eyes. Pike may eat a few game fish along the way but its the forage base that kills the salmon.  After the pike thin there preferred food, they turn to the smelts.  When there gone, your salmons gone. I just wish they would quit trying to keep salmon going in a established pike water like long pond.  Dump some rainbows or browns in there that can feed on the alwives we have now. Look at the browns coming out of long pond, and the state has never put browns in. The ones getting caught are coming down from great pond.  Think if they actually stocked it with browns.  It would be awsome. ;D

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #273 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:59 AM »
A pikes primary food source is spinney fish.  Do you really think a twenty pound pike is going to chase a 2lb salmon around when it has a ball of white perch the size of a house to feed on. People say pike eat all the salmon and trout but until a couple years ago no one had any proof.  then finally after all these years some one gets ONE   with a three pound brown in it.  Bio statement on Wildfire one time -" We know pike eat salmon although we have never found one in there stomach." Then how do they know.  I know a loon will eat a 18 in salmon. Like a cormarant swallowing a pogie. I've seen that with my own eyes. Pike may eat a few game fish along the way but its the forage base that kills the salmon.  After the pike thin there preferred food, they turn to the smelts.  When there gone, your salmons gone. I just wish they would quit trying to keep salmon going in a established pike water like long pond.  Dump some rainbows or browns in there that can feed on the alwives we have now. Look at the browns coming out of long pond, and the state has never put browns in. The ones getting caught are coming down from great pond.  Think if they actually stocked it with browns.  It would be awsome. ;D

I read an IF&W report a few years back claiming they found a 9lb brown in the stomach of a Pike.  I think theres a simple explanation as to why we haven't found more Pike with trout and salmon in their stomachs.  They don't bite cause they are full of the the big trout or salmon they just ate. ;D

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #274 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:36 AM »
everyone talks about the pike , WHATTTTABOUT THESE GUYS ??!!!!?????????!!!??????
AND HOW FAR HAVE THEY SPREAD, AND as long as they exist in this state , I WILL FISH FOR THEM , THERE'S NOTHING LIKE GETTING A 40" FISH ,.........IN FRESHWATER  OR THRU THE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!! OR EVEN A 50"????? JUST MY 2$$$$, AND JUST TO FUEL EVERYONE UP , WE RELEESED EM ALL, NO KISSES!!!!

BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUU

rude the dude

« Reply #275 on: Feb 12, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I read an IF&W report a few years back claiming they found a 9lb brown in the stomach of a Pike.  I think theres a simple explanation as to why we haven't found more Pike with trout and salmon in their stomachs.  They don't bite cause they are full of the the big trout or salmon they just ate. ;D
Thats the same one everyone talks about ,first one in 20 years. I don't believe it was that big either. it grows every time the story is told. The loons eat more than the pike.

Offline Striper King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Proud Member of The "KENNEBEC WATER WATCHERS"
« Reply #276 on: Feb 12, 2008, 04:18 PM »
The thing is pike will eat anything that gets close enough if it be trout, perch or even another pike.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #277 on: Feb 12, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Thats the same one everyone talks about ,first one in 20 years. I don't believe it was that big either. it grows every time the story is told. The loons eat more than the pike.

Is that so... well I'd love to see the results of your scientific study on the comparison of predatation between Pike and Loons upon Salmonids  ::)

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #278 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:05 PM »
I bet the loon's eat way more than pike. Pike have a slow digestive trac. Loons eat and chit and sleep and repeat year round.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I bet the loon's eat way more than pike. Pike have a slow digestive trac. Loons eat and chit and sleep and repeat year round.

I think the loons would have a pretty tough time pecking down throught two feet of ice in the winter time.   ;)

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #280 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:20 PM »
I think the loons would have a pretty tough time pecking down throught two feet of ice in the winter time.   ;)
they make up for it after ice out  :%$#!:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #281 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Metabolism really slow down for big pike in the winter time as well. Loons gooble down 8 to 12 lets say 14 inch salmon a day every day from ice out to ice in lets say 200 days a year that would be 1600 to 2400 salmon over the course of open water. Pike no comparison maybe one a day. 365 for the year? How many loons are on the pond. Way to many !!!!!! PIke have a lot of different choices to eat. Loons prefer salmon and brook trout over anything else. My 2 cents.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #282 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:25 PM »
That's it we need an open season on loons. Limit 8 per day bounty of 10 gals of gas per loon payable out of the states rainy day fund. Lets get a rep down there to Disgusta on this. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #283 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I hear they taste good, alot like bald eagle.   ;)

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #284 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:51 PM »
cross between bald eagle and salmon from what they say! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline tomlbby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Sick and tired of seeing the pike that are healthy on the ice in sabattus >:(Was out there today and it made me sick if you dont want to catch them go somewere ellse.I like to catch them and so dosnt the familly. thats why its not as good as it used to be.Used to be flags all day now its like trout fishing.

THAKS!!

hey livinbass this is tom libby from gorham,you still renting shacks on sabbattus.me and my son would love to come play again this year.i could figure out how to email you from here,anyone help me??/

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #286 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:09 PM »
hey livinbass this is tom libby from gorham,you still renting shacks on sabbattus.me and my son would love to come play again this year.i could figure out how to email you from here,anyone help me??/
tom post a few more times and you will be able to pm him, it takes 5 total to do so

Offline tomlbby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #287 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:42 AM »
tom post a few more times and you will be able to pm him, it takes 5 total to do so
thanks i appreciate it.tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.