The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 25183 times)

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pike
« on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Sick and tired of seeing the pike that are healthy on the ice in sabattus >:(Was out there today and it made me sick if you dont want to catch them go somewere ellse.I like to catch them and so dosnt the familly. thats why its not as good as it used to be.Used to be flags all day now its like trout fishing.

THAKS!!

rude the dude

Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:04 PM »
How come the biologist say keep every one?

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:07 PM »
ya in the trout ponds the one i spoke to said that sabattus is perfect for pike,and they have never said that to me.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:17 PM »
yeh sabattus is perfect for pike    perfect to spred them every where else within 50 miles >:( >:( i say kill them all!

Offline mainefishaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:23 PM »
yeh sabattus is perfect for pike    perfect to spred them every where else within 50 miles >:( >:( i say kill them all!

You got that right!!!!

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Hey Rob I have said that all my life... until this year when I took the time to learn how to filet them bonless and now i am hooked on em. once you learn how to do it and you Will butcher a few learning, they are great. In my opinion they taste just as good as pearch or walleye. I know that some people will disagree with me but like i said it's just my opinion. Maybe keep a few and try to learn it was a real eye opener for me.

-Shawn-

rude the dude

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:36 PM »
When you have trout and salmon to eat you tend to shy away from the pike/ :o

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Trout and Salmon are way over rated. Rather have crappie or perch any day.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Pike are fantastic eating. Make a super chowder fish. IF YOU KEEP THEM EAT THEM. Don,t litter the ice with them. If all you want is a pic. then take it and release the fish. Enough of my tax dollars go to those put and take hatchery fish that are not fit to eat.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

rude the dude

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Trout and Salmon are way over rated. Rather have crappie or perch any day.
I thought they were talking about eating pike.

rude the dude

« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Pike are fantastic eating. Make a super chowder fish. IF YOU KEEP THEM EAT THEM. Don,t litter the ice with them. If all you want is a pic. then take it and release the fish. Enough of my tax dollars go to those put and take hatchery fish that are not fit to eat.
Really, A big pike is fine though  ???

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2008, 09:11 PM »
pike have no place in maine waters yet some ignorant people dont seem to care >:( all they care about is what they like to catch dont care about native salmonids not right

Offline mainefishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2008, 09:35 PM »
I got caught BY a pike saturday, a little lake michigan pike. Had a serious lapse of judgement and decided to stick my finger in to relese the hook... DOH! Dang thing was like an alligator... i had to cut my pants to wrap up my finger it was bleeing so bad haha... Wont do that again... atleast for a while

Offline natureboy79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2008, 09:43 PM »
You'll never get rid of all the pike that are there,so why not manage it for trophy size fish? I understand what it does for local cold water fishing but killing the pike because your a "trout fisherman" is far from being a sportsman,which I think most people on here represent(my opinion). new issue of NEW ENGLAND GAME AND FISH has an article "catch pike now" and point to sabbattus in Maine. Biologist says with no limits take all you catch. So here comes some more damage for this lake!

My name is Andy and i'm a fishaholic....

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:05 AM »
It's not like there are trout or salmon to worry about in Sabattus.  I think all this post was saying originally before it turned into a pike bashing thread    :-\  is that some people enjoy catching them, I know I certainly do.  If you're going to fish for them and don't want to eat them, then throw them back for someone else to catch and release or eat - whatever their preference...

Can't kill em all off but it can certainly impact the fishing experience for others if people just leave all the fish they catch for dead on the ice.  Saying kill em all isn't the right solution, if you don't like em than don't fish for them, imo.
 ;D
Julie

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:00 AM »
you tell em Red.... ;)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:09 AM »
well pike in maine waters has always been and will be a controversial subject. we all have our own beliefs and opinions and we are all entitled to them. I personally dont think its a good idea to leave a lot of fish left on a lot of fish on the ice.  a few for the eagles is ok ,but too many looks bad for sportsmen. to all who say they care so much about maines heritage and salmonids that they need to go kill all the pike that they can. , you are perfectly within your rights to do so but dont be a slob sportsmen. take the fish with you.  :-\

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:20 AM »
well pike in maine waters has always been and will be a controversial subject. we all have our own beliefs and opinions and we are all entitled to them. I personally dont think its a good idea to leave a lot of fish left on a lot of fish on the ice.  a few for the eagles is ok ,but too many looks bad for sportsmen. to all who say they care so much about maines heritage and salmonids that they need to go kill all the pike that they can. , you are perfectly within your rights to do so but dont be a slob sportsmen. take the fish with you.  :-\
  They make great fertilizer for your garden too. ;D
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Grayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:33 AM »
I normally do not comment on these type of matters , but feel the need to express my personal feelings on this matter.
During open water season I target salmon ansd trout mostly on Richardson Lake near my camp on Roxbury Pond. I even keep a canoe up at B Pond for the same reason. This is my favorite fishing experience and look forward to spring and all the good times on these special waters. We even spend a fair amount of time in the summer catching nice smallies and white perch on Roxbury. I would be horrified if ever Pike were introduced to those waters.

However....During the ice season there is no greater enjoyment than playing a Pike and chasing the usual frequent flags that this species offers. We catch em, take a picture of the big ones and log them in our book for bragging rights between family and friends. Catch and release of all fish is my practice except for an occasional salmon or trout for the dinner table. I can't fathom killing any fish for the sake of eliminating them.

Sabattus is a perfect Pike fishery. The warm water would not support cold water fish but offers the potential for a big game fishery in Maine. I have caught some of the fattest and seemingly healthy largemouth bass in that lake as well.

My two cents.

On a lighter  note, the pregame festivities yesterday including a day fishing with BOB! Picture of Jan and Bob with her largest. A 7lb 11oz. Pike.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2008, 07:48 AM »
I understand the need for a brookie feed now and then, but honestly, I almost never killl a trout or salmon in this state.  They are too precious. 

Why do people go fishing and leave fish on the ice - how selfish.  They are a living critter and you just waste them.  It doesn't matter if it's a smallmouth bass or a pike or whatever.  There are kids and adults who would like to catch that fish again sometime, but you just kill it cause it's not your favorite species.  Bogus and selfish.  People near me kill every smallmouth they catch.  Then complain when they don't have any flags.

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Solution for Sabattus.
Dont fish there if your a trout fisherman ::)
A true sportsman of any kind, would never leave such a extraordinary fish (Pike) on the ice too rot!
It would also be good revenue for Maine, if it became known for good Pike fishing also.
Keep Sabattus as a trophy Pike fishery.
And yes, the small pike are good eating.

~Ed~

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:01 AM »
It's not like there are trout or salmon to worry about in Sabattus.  I think all this post was saying originally before it turned into a pike bashing thread    :-\  is that some people enjoy catching them, I know I certainly do.  If you're going to fish for them and don't want to eat them, then throw them back for someone else to catch and release or eat - whatever their preference...

Can't kill em all off but it can certainly impact the fishing experience for others if people just leave all the fish they catch for dead on the ice.  Saying kill em all isn't the right solution, if you don't like em than don't fish for them, imo.
 ;D
Julie
i dont fish for them but they are in alot of lakes i fish that USED TO BE good trout fishing and by the way look at the water shed for sabbatus its not just the 1 lake that is affected and yes i kill every pike i catch  eagles love them! where do you think all these pike came from ? they didnt just appear  the can swim in brooks and streams you know! im just tired of hearing about pike in all the waters i fish for trout and salmon and then people complain they arent catching as many fish i wonder why  these are probably the same idiots that put them there in the first place    >:( also you couldnt pay me enough to eat anything out of sabbattus :P :P

Offline Jigga

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Camp Wabanaki
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:07 AM »

Only real fisherman ICE FISH !!!!!!!!!

Offline dirk327

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • !
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:20 AM »
here it is again...I have seen this argument countless times since joining here..the bottom line is we are not going to kill off all of these fish in every pond and lake...we can't change the fact that they are here.  If you  don't want them, put them back or take them home with you and take fiddlehead's suggestion...use them as fertilizer.  Letting them rot on the lake only  makes us as sportsmen look bad...Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.  Do the right thing!

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I understand the need for a brookie feed now and then, but honestly, I almost never killl a trout or salmon in this state.  They are too precious. 

Why do people go fishing and leave fish on the ice - how selfish.  They are a living critter and you just waste them.  It doesn't matter if it's a smallmouth bass or a pike or whatever.  There are kids and adults who would like to catch that fish again sometime, but you just kill it cause it's not your favorite species.  Bogus and selfish.  People near me kill every smallmouth they catch.  Then complain when they don't have any flags.

i totally agree mike. people that do that are no better then the bucket biologist in my opinion. maybe to some people trout are precious so they don't ever kill any unless they take them home. did those people ever stop to think that maybe people think the same about pike? for the people bashing the pike who believe that pike have no place in maine waters, i say brown trout have no place in maine waters, they are not even native to this country.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:38 AM »
i dont fish for them but they are in alot of lakes i fish that USED TO BE good trout fishing and by the way look at the water shed for sabbatus its not just the 1 lake that is affected and yes i kill every pike i catch  eagles love them! where do you think all these pike came from ? they didnt just appear  the can swim in brooks and streams you know! im just tired of hearing about pike in all the waters i fish for trout and salmon and then people complain they arent catching as many fish i wonder why  these are probably the same idiots that put them there in the first place    >:( also you couldnt pay me enough to eat anything out of sabbattus :P :P

Well, I certainly don't recall saying that I agree with people illegally stocking fish - I also am not a complete idiot and realize that they travel to other bodies of water through rivers/brooks/streams.  The fact that they're there aside, my issue is with people catching and killing every pike they catch - to each their own - I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what to do but I don't believe that is right. 

I'm done.

Julie

Offline natureboy79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:39 AM »
If you dont like pike,stay off sabbattus-period. why go to just kill fish. Had camp on lake for 40 years with great fishing and I hope I can share that experience with my children in another 10-15 years. Bass can greatly effect managed trout ponds too, so should we start taking every bass too? There are stocking programs in place for your cold water fish,not the case for bass,pike,perch etc.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:45 AM »
If you dont like pike,stay off sabbattus-period. why go to just kill fish. Had camp on lake for 40 years with great fishing and I hope I can share that experience with my children in another 10-15 years. Bass can greatly effect managed trout ponds too, so should we start taking every bass too? There are stocking programs in place for your cold water fish,not the case for bass,pike,perch etc.
how was the fishing 40 years ago b4 the pike

Offline natureboy79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Im only 29,pictures of my grandfather with some nice bass back then. It hasnt hurt the bass fishing,we still do very good with the bass.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Well, I certainly don't recall saying that I agree with people illegally stocking fish - I also am not a complete idiot and realize that they travel to other bodies of water through rivers/brooks/streams.  The fact that they're there aside, my issue is with people catching and killing every pike they catch - to each their own - I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what to do but I don't believe that is right. 

I'm done.

Julie
never said you were an idot  but if you had a lake you fished that used to be good trout fishing and now you cant catch any you would probably feel the same way  well have to see what happens to sebago and lake auburn  its just sad :'( my comments wernt directed towards you and i apologise if i offended you :) im just frustrated with this pike situation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.