The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Meet & Greet on Sebago ....UPDATED.... ( March 7th at The State Park)  (Read 16441 times)

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
I think some bodies of water have better daytime cusk bites then others . In that area I think Hancock pond has the best daytime cusk bite ??

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cusk will bite in daylight hours. One just needs to fish on Bottom and serve them a good smelly bait. They are more active after sunset. but this time of year they are near their spawning areas. I have caught many cusk during daylight hours over the past years.  They like to feed on bait laying on bottom .
  I should have some bait just about ready  its been dead for 9 weeks
 ;D
in god we trust

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
I think some bodies of water have better daytime cusk bites then others . In that area I think Hancock pond has the best daytime cusk bite ??
Good suggestion. I've done very well with cusk there during the day.
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looks like you had a good day/night
in god we trust

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looks like you had a good day/night
It was right in the middle of the day.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I agree the cusk are plentiful during the day at Hancock,  just not much parking. I guess people could park on the side of the road (as long as everyone parks on the same side) So traffic can get by.

When do you guys want to go, this weekend or next, 14th or 21st???
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
21st sounds good to me.  :tipup:

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Can you walk out or do you need a ride to get to the hotspot?

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can you walk out or do you need a ride to get to the hotspot?

The good thing about this Pond is, there is really no "ONE" hot spot....there are several! 
The last time I went was when we had about 2ft of snow on the ice and some slush.....still managed to walk out a little ways, and caught some!
So to answer your question, I'd say, YES , you can walk out............  That is, unless we get major snowstorms before then ;D

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I know they'll bite during the day, just didn't know about that area.  Trying to find a good spot to hold a cusk gathering.   :-\    I've had a couple shanty members asking. :-\
Thinking just might do it again at the State Park, a Togue/Cusk combo day into the night!  :-\
I know they bite during thew day, one year during the Sebago derby that was all I could catch.

A friend of mine from work live to the left of the state park as you go down on the beach and he told me he is catching some each night between 5-7:00 pm so they are near there

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Let's do this Saturday! It's mah birfday!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sounds like the weather is not going to be very good snow  or rain. Might want to have to Birthday party Sunday instead.

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sounds like the weather is not going to be very good snow  or rain. Might want to have to Birthday party Sunday instead.
Mumma's got a thing on Sunday. I'm going fishing Saturday no matter the weather. Buddy of mine had a shack out there, so the precipitation won't bother me.

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
21st sounds good to me. icant make it this weekend but if you have it good luck to all and save some for me  ;D
in god we trust

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can't do this weekend either  :-\

So it looks like we'll try for the 21st (ice conditions permitting)

State Park or Hancock???    I'm thinking Hancock would have better ice by then (I'll check it out Mon or tues)

UPDATED...... Just saw some pictures on facebook,  the pressure ridge at the State Park has opened up already..8-20ft :(

So BE CAREFUL, to anyone attempting to go out there.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
I can't do this weekend either  :-\

So it looks like we'll try for the 21st (ice conditions permitting)

State Park or Hancock???    I'm thinking Hancock would have better ice by then (I'll check it out Mon or tues)

UPDATED...... Just saw some pictures on facebook,  the pressure ridge at the State Park has opened up already..8-20ft :(

So BE CAREFUL, to anyone attempting to go out there.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Yikes!!  That's going to be dangerous after the 4-8 inches of snow predicted! :o

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That's what happened a few years ago . fresh snow covered it over and a 4 wheeler rode over it and the rear tracks went under the edge took four of jacking and pulling to get it out. Had to put down 20' planks to  work off from. Scary when you can't see where the open water is.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Just a suggestion,

Forget SLOWBAGO, head to Northern Maine and catch some awesome native Togue, Brook Trout, and if on the right fishery Landlocked Salmon.  Best Ice Fishing of the Season is right now in Northern Maine and you cannot go wrong.

EmeraldShiner  ;)2

Offline rhino09

• IceShanty Rookie
is there any fishable water with a 4 wheeler by the state parj or does the pressure ridge take all of it

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some there but you don't need any sort of machine to get to it if y0u can walk a 100 yards.
Sometimes the exercise is good for us.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With the lake rising the Pressure will open a lot more . With the new snow over it . Guess where?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.