The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 13/14 Bait Trapping Thread  (Read 16190 times)

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 13/14 Bait Trapping Thread
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Going to give this bait trapping thing a try this year. As with most things I am lazy and looking for an easy out. If anyone has a low end bait tank and is looking to upgrade let me know. I would be happy to throw a few bucks at something that works. Plan on keeping them in my uninsulated garage.

Thanks for your time.
TK
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #31 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Going to give this bait trapping thing a try this year. As with most things I am lazy and looking for an easy out. If anyone has a low end bait tank and is looking to upgrade let me know. I would be happy to throw a few bucks at something that works. Plan on keeping them in my uninsulated garage.

Thanks for your time.
TK
Do you have a local dump? ussually you can get a old chest freezer there for free , or a blue plastic 55 gallon drum. Than just get a cheap airator at wal mart  and a hang on the side water filter from wal mart and your good to go.  Oh ya a clamp on light for a heat source it will freeze in your garage.. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2013, 01:20 PM »
Do you have a local dump? ussually you can get a old chest freezer there for free , or a blue plastic 55 gallon drum. Than just get a cheap airator at wal mart  and a hang on the side water filter from wal mart and your good to go.  Oh ya a clamp on light for a heat source it will freeze in your garage.. :)

we call this the "north of bangor model" :)

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:56 PM »
thats exactly what i run for a bait tank apj !! been trapping and using it all summer and havent lost a single shiner !! :thumbsup:
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Thanks for your time.
TK
These both works for me

This is 102 quart Cooler

This is 55 gallon plastic barrel that we have drilled holes into and sunk it into the water

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2013, 05:37 AM »
APJ, how do you go abou getting the permits online?

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2013, 05:57 AM »
APJ, how do you go abou getting the permits online?
I just sent a e-mail to my local biologist in Enfield    describing each location approximatley. And he sends the permit right back same day.

So you should just call your closest fish and wildlife office ask for a biologist  get a e-mail and thats it. :)

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 01, 2013, 11:31 AM »
thanks.

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Hey Coach..... I like that barrel idea. I am currently using a big chest freezer in my unheated garage but live right on the shores of a lake and this year I have access to couple barrels. What do you use to cover your barrel? I may try this setup for keeping smelts this year, or switch over to the barrels from freezer once ice forms and not have to bother with aerators and filtering.
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 01, 2013, 02:27 PM »
Coach I like that.  When I go north to camp which is usually at least 3 days at a time.  I have a large Rubbermaid bin that I drilled a number of holes in and keep them right in the lake.  Nothing better than natural habitat, especially for smelts.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:28 PM »
still waiting on dam permits for me, slowest office I have ever seen
you don't need to wait rusty. as long as the local warden knows you applied you're good to go!

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Hey Coach..... I like that barrel idea. I am currently using a big chest freezer in my unheated garage but live right on the shores of a lake and this year I have access to couple barrels. What do you use to cover your barrel? I may try this setup for keeping smelts this year, or switch over to the barrels from freezer once ice forms and not have to bother with aerators and filtering.

We drilled 3/8" holes all around the barrel and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom.  A friend of mine cut a One (1) foot hole in the bottom of his and covered it with wire in hopes of keeping the water as clean as possible.  For the cover we got a piece of 1" Styrofoam and cut that just smaller then the opening in the barrel, then we screwed the Styrofoam to a piece of plywood attached a handle on it so we had a place to grab. We screwed 2x6's to each side of the barrel and they sit right on the ice.  Wait for the ice to freeze and then cut your hole and drop it in. Cover it with snow and then you can hide it in plain sight.   

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:44 PM »
you don't need to wait rusty. as long as the local warden knows you applied you're good to go!

got it the other day...........thanks for the heads up though

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:45 PM »
We drilled 3/8" holes all around the barrel and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom.  A friend of mine cut a One (1) foot hole in the bottom of his and covered it with wire in hopes of keeping the water as clean as possible.  For the cover we got a piece of 1" Styrofoam and cut that just smaller then the opening in the barrel, then we screwed the Styrofoam to a piece of plywood attached a handle on it so we had a place to grab. We screwed 2x6's to each side of the barrel and they sit right on the ice.  Wait for the ice to freeze and then cut your hole and drop it in. Cover it with snow and then you can hide it in plain sight.

I will be trying it out this year...... If all goes well I will transfer the bait in my chest freezer to the barrels, save my back hauling 5 gallon buckets of lake water all winter changing out my bait tank water. Not to mention the cost running equipment.

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:30 PM »
set my first first trap today

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:02 AM »
My son and I put our first taps out yesterday.... pulled 7-8 dozen in about 4 hours. ..then set back for the night.  Hoping for full traps this morning.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:05 AM »
I will be trying it out this year...... If all goes well I will transfer the bait in my chest freezer to the barrels, save my back hauling 5 gallon buckets of lake water all winter changing out my bait tank water. Not to mention the cost running equipment.

I've been advocating for years that for those fortunate enough to live on a lake or have access to, you can't find a much easier system than the barrel for keeping bait, just freeze it in at first ice and good to go.  I have a 2" piece of styrofoam in my lid that helps with freeze ups and just bank the outside of the barrel with snow.  Can't get photobucket to work right now but the bottom of my barrel is completely cut out and replaced with 1/4" screen sitting on a wooden frame.  If you don't do something like this you will experience a lot of die off in short order.  I keep 25+ doz. all season long in this setup.   In times of prolonged cold or lack of use you will need to chisel the inside a bit at times but chips off easy on the plastic.

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:37 AM »
I've been advocating for years that for those fortunate enough to live on a lake or have access to, you can't find a much easier system than the barrel for keeping bait, just freeze it in at first ice and good to go.  I have a 2" piece of styrofoam in my lid that helps with freeze ups and just bank the outside of the barrel with snow.  Can't get photobucket to work right now but the bottom of my barrel is completely cut out and replaced with 1/4" screen sitting on a wooden frame.  If you don't do something like this you will experience a lot of die off in short order.  I keep 25+ doz. all season long in this setup.   In times of prolonged cold or lack of use you will need to chisel the inside a bit at times but chips off easy on the plastic.

The Lake I live on is dam controlled and water level decreases significantly throughout the winter so I would have hard time sitting it on a wooden frame off the bottom but the idea of making a frame and setting on top of ice is ideal for my location. Would you suggest drilling a lot of holes on sides and bottom or cut the bottom right out altogether and screening it closed???

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 04, 2013, 02:03 PM »

The Lake I live on is dam controlled and water level decreases significantly throughout the winter so I would have hard time sitting it on a wooden frame off the bottom but the idea of making a frame and setting on top of ice is ideal for my location. Would you suggest drilling a lot of holes on sides and bottom or cut the bottom right out altogether and screening it closed???

Not sure how much fluctation we are talking, maybe two barrels fastened end to end to create a "sleeve" if that dramatic of a water level change??? :-\

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Anyone have any idea how one day my trap can have 70-80 shiners, then I reset the trap and throw it in the same spot and get only a dozen or so? I'm using the same bait, same trap, and leaving them for an overnight soak.  It will go up and down like that with each day and seems like this year I can't seem to be consistant with the trapping...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Anyone have any idea how one day my trap can have 70-80 shiners, then I reset the trap and throw it in the same spot and get only a dozen or so? I'm using the same bait, same trap, and leaving them for an overnight soak.  It will go up and down like that with each day and seems like this year I can't seem to be consistant with the trapping...

I've always felt that moon and weather factors effect bait trapping just like they do fishing and hunting, after all, bait trapping is really a form of fishing if you think about it.  I don't know why but my bait traps always seem fullest around a full moon.  I like to pull just before dark also, seems better in general. 

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 07, 2013, 10:59 AM »
That happens all the time just keep at it.. you have trapped the bait out right near your traps  just wait a while and more will find it..  I got 92 shiners yesterday and 14 today so same thing.. :)

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 07, 2013, 11:22 AM »
That happens all the time just keep at it.. you have trapped the bait out right near your traps  just wait a while and more will find it..  I got 92 shiners yesterday and 14 today so same thing.. :)

Early start this year huh

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #53 on: Nov 07, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Anyone ever try or use a clover shaped trap ?   Just finished making one , and going to try tomorrow.
I have made two and they fish great. The only trouble I have is that I made my openings too big in one trap and I've caught 12 inch pickerel in it.
Steve

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 08, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Early start this year huh
Ya I found a awesome honey hole last year late and could not make in there, so this year I started a little early so i could drive right to it. All golden shiners getin 10 dozen every 2 days.. :thumbsup:

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 08, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I may chuck out a trap just to see how the bait is looking this year.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 09, 2013, 04:24 AM »
ive tried two ponds recently that are loaded with bait, you can see huge schools of em everywhere. Any particular reason they aint entering my traps?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #57 on: Nov 09, 2013, 06:11 AM »
ive tried two ponds recently that are loaded with bait, you can see huge schools of em everywhere. Any particular reason they aint entering my traps?
try suspending your traps.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 09, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Ya  I tie a 2 liter soda bottle to it this time of year and just let it float around  and that seems to work pretty good,..

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2013, 11:09 AM »
this cold has me thinking bait real bad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.