The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Long Lake Ice Fishing Derby Jan 26 & 27  (Read 10906 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Long lake Ice Fishing Derby - 26,27 January 2013
« Reply #120 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:47 AM »
I know those guys that had an issue with the 7lb salmon, they wouldn't just create a story like that. They didn't even have a salmon in the running.
I witnessed my own "issue". I fished next to a guy who was fishing ALONE. He shows up at weigh in with son and daughter (youth) and they all have fish to enter.  :nono: So I say to him, "you didn't have any kids with you out there". He tells me they were fishing somewhere else.  :unsure: He expects me to believe his 2 young children were not fishing with their dad in his shack but with someone else (wind chill was -25*). To bump a child out of the derby with a fish an adult caught really got me thinking about some peoples ethics.
I heard an official mention something about a conscious at one point, he was totally correct. Imagine years down the road looking at Jr's trophy on the shelf knowing that he didn't honestly win it. Knowing that you bumped a child out of the running for your own greed. Knowing what unethical practices you've displayed in front of your child.
It becomes frustrating for those of us who play by the rules, and I agree that derby officials can't control what others do. And I'm certain similar "issues" happen at most derbies.

I think you really answered your own question NoMe.  We do derbies just because its convenient and a fun family thing too do.  I never get to worked up over outcomes because we know ANYTHING is possible and use just that mindset.  I tell my kids we can't control what others do but we can control what we do and leave it at that avoiding all the related stress. @)

Can some one please tell me how the heck you keep a salmon looking fresh for 3 weeks (if factual) ???  Seems impossible. :-\

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:27 AM »
I think you really answered your own question NoMe.  We do derbies just because its convenient and a fun family thing too do.  I never get to worked up over outcomes because we know ANYTHING is possible and use just that mindset.  I tell my kids we can't control what others do but we can control what we do and leave it at that avoiding all the related stress. @)

Can some one please tell me how the heck you keep a salmon looking fresh for 3 weeks (if factual) ???  Seems impossible. :-\

I've heard of people keeping fish alive for a couple days just to win / enter into a derby. But 3 weeks is quite a stretch to keep a salmon alive unless you have access to a hatchery, Cabela's aquarium, or LLBean's aquarium....ect :whistle:

Offline TyThib

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Long Lake Ice Fishing Derby Jan 26 & 27
« Reply #122 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Which 7 lber are you talking about NoMe? Whats the story with it?

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 AM »

We can't control what others do but only what we do... and next year I may not enter the derby. I'm certainly not gonna stoop to their level.

They freeze the fish whole, then, once frozen solid, freeze it in water. Then thaw it under running water a day before the derby. The secret is out. This area really depends on tourism and if a 4 lb salmon wins the derby, people won't want to come fishing for a week. Big salmon like the ones entered are favorable for local business owners.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:32 AM »
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:35 AM »

Congrats on the 3rd place salmon Tyler.  @)

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:35 AM »
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I would have been out there on Long had you not "forgotten" to pick me up!! ;D  ;D

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:45 AM »
I would have been out there on Long had you not "forgotten" to pick me up!! ;D  ;D

I was waitiing for you ???
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Ty, you probably pulled up the biggest salmon of the weekend.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:54 AM »
We can't control what others do but only what we do... and next year I may not enter the derby. I'm certainly not gonna stoop to their level.

They freeze the fish whole, then, once frozen solid, freeze it in water. Then thaw it under running water a day before the derby. The secret is out. This area really depends on tourism and if a 4 lb salmon wins the derby, people won't want to come fishing for a week. Big salmon like the ones entered are favorable for local business owners.

I just can't belief someone associated with a weigh in committee can't tell a three week old fish from one caught 3 hours earlier, the eyes the scales etc. but maybe they don't want to if what you say is correct...  :-\ 

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I just can't belief someone associated with a weigh in committee can't tell a three week old fish from one caught 3 hours earlier, the eyes the scales etc. but maybe they don't want to if what you say is correct...  :-\

If the one that was winning after Saturday was frozen from a few weeks ago I wouldn't have picked up on it. Looked fresh from what I saw, but I didn't study it too much, just a quick look then back inside for other things
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #131 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:04 AM »
congrats to the winners
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline stagatha

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 AM »
I weighed and checked the fish at the derby!!

It had fresh blood on it
It was not frozen solid
The eyes were not completely clouded, It was caught at 6:30am and turned in around 10am
The 2 cabins next to the angler came in later and looked at the fish on display and stated they were next door when the fish was caught and saw it
The Game wardens - a group of 3 - stated they had seen the fish at the cabin that morning
The angler thanked us after the derby and was there for closing ceremonies, he was not looking over his shoulder.
If you know of a cheater - turn them in!! - if you do not your just as guilty as they are.
 ??? ??? ??? ???

I am simply stating the facts we have. If you have other factual information, Please present it or SHUT UP!!

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:58 AM »
I weighed and checked the fish at the derby!!

It had fresh blood on it
It was not frozen solid
The eyes were not completely clouded, It was caught at 6:30am and turned in around 10am
The 2 cabins next to the angler came in later and looked at the fish on display and stated they were next door when the fish was caught and saw it
The Game wardens - a group of 3 - stated they had seen the fish at the cabin that morning
The angler thanked us after the derby and was there for closing ceremonies, he was not looking over his shoulder.
If you know of a cheater - turn them in!! - if you do not your just as guilty as they are.
 ??? ??? ??? ???

I am simply stating the facts we have. If you have other factual information, Please present it or SHUT UP!!

Well put!

Always poor "loosers"  out there...   Congrats to all the winners  and not the "whiners"   

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Those were some very respectable size fish that placed.

Since Jacksmelt has got on the board two years in a row I think he has erned the title "TOGUE KING;D
i dont know about that. thanks for the compliment tho.! more right place right time. i also missed 1st. place in '10 by .02ounce! should have stuck a smelt down his throat like my ol' man suggested! lol!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:28 PM »
GOOD LUCK TO ALL
DO NOT FORGET TO STOP BY THE M&S TACKLE TRAILER TO SIGN UP FOR THE FREE DRAWING FOR ALL ICE SHANTY MEMBERS ONLY!!!
LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING ALL OF YOU
STAY SAFE
SMELTMAN
  sorry steve. i missed this post. didnt stay long. was too crowded  for me!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #136 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:06 PM »
congratulations to all the winners  and the rest of us that braved that nasty weather    Only saw on salmon yesterday   my 8 yo got it to the hole and snapped the line  looked pretty big   he was dissapointed as we all would be  but he was the only one to get a bite! And that made him feel special
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Congrats Steve & Ty! Ty, now you just have to place EVERY year like you're the salmon Bossie. (Thats pretty impressive Steve) 

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I caught this on Saturday afternoon during the derby, and this is what it looked like 10 minutes after catching it.....does it still look fresh enough to submit if it was worthy?

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Nice trout!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #140 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Nice salmon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum