The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!  (Read 23208 times)

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
Re: Statewide is on ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:02 AM »
Tom, It doesnt matter if you cancel the derby or not, people are still going to be stupid and try to get to places that have thin ice.  Your not liable for people that dont have enough brains to fish on safe ice.  I fished on 12 inches of ice at horne pond this weekend.  There is enough ice in southern maine, you might need a 2x10  12 feet long to get on the lake.  There are enough divisions in the state wide that people have plenty of choices on where to fish.  Plus i dont want to travel to mid maine to weight in 10 pickeral. 

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:18 AM »
Yo Derbyguy-

It would not be right to cancel the statewide, there is plenty of good ice north of southern Maine. I am sure that the guys in the county are putting on new leaders and getting all pumped up for this weekend. I feel like this weekend is their tournament. Many of them did not make the drive to Sebago to fish knowing that this weekend would be open for them. We are all adults here ( some may not act it all the time but) many are planning trips up the 95 corridor for this weekend. As a derby organizer I would be a little miffed about these weigh stations that are backing out. They committed to perform the task of this weekend and have been advertised to do so to back out at the last minute is just wrong. Please post all weigh stations that have backed out so we IS members can decide if we will continue our support of their establishment.

So in closing keep the derby on
Post the names of the weigh stations that are closed
Keep your fingers crossed

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Yo Derbyguy-

It would not be right to cancel the statewide, there is plenty of good ice north of southern Maine. I am sure that the guys in the county are putting on new leaders and getting all pumped up for this weekend. I feel like this weekend is their tournament. Many of them did not make the drive to Sebago to fish knowing that this weekend would be open for them. We are all adults here ( some may not act it all the time but) many are planning trips up the 95 corridor for this weekend. As a derby organizer I would be a little miffed about these weigh stations that are backing out. They committed to perform the task of this weekend and have been advertised to do so to back out at the last minute is just wrong. Please post all weigh stations that have backed out so we IS members can decide if we will continue our support of their establishment.

So in closing keep the derby on
Post the names of the weigh stations that are closed
Keep your fingers crossed

These weigh stations are not "backing out". So please don't feel that it's their fault. As the organizer, I am miffed.
I'm miffed that the ice conditions are deteriorating steadily in many areas of the State. I'm miffed that alot of people don't know or check ice conditions when they should. I'm miffed that alot of people feel that we are responsible for where every entrant treads.(One TV person said we are "inviting disaster".) I'm miffed that sensible anglers may have to suffer for it.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:20 AM »
These weigh stations are not "backing out". So please don't feel that it's their fault. As the organizer, I am miffed.
I'm miffed that the ice conditions are deteriorating steadily in many areas of the State. I'm miffed that alot of people don't know or check ice conditions when they should. I'm miffed that alot of people feel that we are responsible for where every entrant treads.(One TV person said we we "inviting disaster".) I'm miffed that sensible anglers may have to suffer for it.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You can't fix STUPID....

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I want to personally thank you Tom for your efforts raising so much money for good causes!!! Because of you Shaw Acres was able to donate $175.00 to IF&W, and $175.00 to Camp Sunshine. Thank you for all your help over the past years,and what ever decision you and the board makes will be the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerly Brian

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:03 AM »
I'm miffed that the ice conditions are deteriorating steadily in many areas of the State. I'm miffed that alot of people don't know or check ice conditions when they should. I'm miffed that alot of people feel that we are responsible for where every entrant treads.(One TV person said we are "inviting disaster".) I'm miffed that sensible anglers may have to suffer for it.

As much as I don't participate in any derby or really care one way or another, I agree with you 100%. There is a HUGE difference between a derby on 1 lake with iffy ice and a statewide derby spread out over 1000s of square miles.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:10 AM »

This has to be one of my #1 peeves with what's wrong with this world today D.G. - NOBODY IS RESPONSIBILE FOR ANYTHING THEMSELVES ANYMORE!!!! :%$#!:  It's all on everyone else. >:(  Unfortunately, events of this nature are not immune either, organizers have to think and react for every dummy out there and make decisions accordingly.....it's sad path we are on gentlemen. >:(

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:49 AM »
If I fall through on Saturday, I am SO blaming gamefisher!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:54 AM »
If the derby happened to be canceled (which it isn't) don't you think these guys are going to go ice fishing anyway. If something happens to them, now who's fault is it? Come on, good ice fisherman don't put themselves in harms way.

Got to love that saying Will! " Here for a good time not a long time!"

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:58 AM »
If I fall through on Saturday, I am SO blaming gamefisher!  ;D ;D ;D

You would. ;D

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:03 AM »
If the derby happened to be canceled (which it isn't) don't you think these guys are going to go ice fishing anyway. If something happens to them, now who's fault is it? Come on, good ice fisherman don't put themselves in harms way.

Got to love that saying Will! " Here for a good time not a long time!"
You fishing with us this weekend?
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:09 AM »
You would. ;D
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Ok, how about Baldacci?  He's a good target! 

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Derby or no derby, I'll be fishing with a good bunch of guys this weekend and I am PUMPED for it!!  :thumbsup:

The difference between the statewide and derby on Sebago is that if you wanted to fish that derby you had to fish on Sebago which we were all aware had some areas of sketchy ice (or none at all in places).  Anytime you head out on the ice ANYWHERE, there is risk involved and everyone should be responsible for their own decisions.  As others have said, this weekend you have the whole State of Maine to pick from to find safe, fishable ice (whether you're fishing for the derby or not).  Have at it!  Anyone with half a brain wouldn't risk their lives on bad ice because they might win a $50 KTP gift card...   

I bet they aren't going to close up Sugarloaf because a few snowboarders went where they shouldn't have and had to spend a cold night on the backside of the mountain...

Offline Swamp Donkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I hope Dags will be still weighing fish this weekend.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Here's a few points to consider, Tom:

People can always find plenty of excuses to not want to do something.
Seems like the people who want the Derby canceled the most are non- ice fishermen, reporters, polititians, ect..
Still lots of safe ice across the state.
Finally, people need to know the ice conditions on the water they are fishing.
Don't be swayed by the emotion factor, be swayed by the facts.
Good luck with your decision.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Derby or no derby, I'll be fishing with a good bunch of guys this weekend and I am PUMPED for it!!  :thumbsup:

The difference between the statewide and derby on Sebago is that if you wanted to fish that derby you had to fish on Sebago which we were all aware had some areas of sketchy ice (or none at all in places).  Anytime you head out on the ice ANYWHERE, there is risk involved and everyone should be responsible for their own decisions.  As others have said, this weekend you have the whole State of Maine to pick from to find safe, fishable ice (whether you're fishing for the derby or not).  Have at it!  Anyone with half a brain wouldn't risk their lives on bad ice because they might win a $50 KTP gift card...   

I bet they aren't going to close up Sugarloaf because a few snowboarders went where they shouldn't have and had to spend a cold night on the backside of the mountain...

Well said..... :clap: :clap:

QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:46 AM »
look on the brightside people....unless we change locations...we'll only have to drill holes ONCE this weekend  :clap:

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:54 AM »
If the derby happened to be canceled (which it isn't) don't you think these guys are going to go ice fishing anyway. If something happens to them, now who's fault is it?

Ford motor co...............that's how I got to the lake.

Polaris............... ........that's how I got on the lake.

Sorrel boots................. .that's what weighed me down so I couldn't swim good.

Whoever I was fishing with.................. ......because they didn't save me.

But there's no way it's my fault!  ;D

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #48 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:00 AM »

Sorrel boots................. .that's what weighed me down so I couldn't swim good.

You forgot the Valero station that helped you fill up your truck to get to the ice, and the people that owned the land that you illegally parked on for not putting up a sign that the ice wasnt safe.
 ;D ;D

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:15 AM »
If it was a Ford, they could just drive back out!  ;)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:46 AM »

You know that would be funnier if I didn't think that the derby organizers have to think about these types of things.  I bet some dumbazz somewhere falls through the ice and then passes the blame on to the Rotary Club.  Knowing how stupid a majority of people are these days and the lack of personal responsibility, I bet they'd win in court.

Sad.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #51 on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:41 PM »
You fishing with us this weekend?

Of course!

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:10 PM »

Derbyguy I don't understand how any moron could pin this on you. Again the statewide is a lot different of a situation than the Sebago derby. Think of all the things that we do in our day to day lives that could be considered "inviting disaster" if we didn't do them responsibly and yes, use common sense. By that logic we should ban just about everything that we do. We should close all roads to automobile traffic because some people can't operate their cars safely.We should go back to using slingshots to hunt because some people don't know how to handle a firearm safely. The list just goes on and on. I just can't fathom putting the blame on one person for another person's decisions.

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:28 PM »
So when is this meeting happening today with the powers that be?? I'm looking for and official word one way or the other.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Starts @ 4:30

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:37 PM »
You know that would be funnier if I didn't think that the derby organizers have to think about these types of things.  I bet some dumbazz somewhere falls through the ice and then passes the blame on to the Rotary Club.  Knowing how stupid a majority of people are these days and the lack of personal responsibility, I bet they'd win in court.

Sad.

So when is this meeting happening today with the powers that be?? I'm looking for and official word one way or the other.

Don't anybody be surprised if thing gets completely cancelled just for the reasons Jay mentioned. >:( :(

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #56 on: Mar 02, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Don't anybody be surprised if thing gets completely cancelled just for the reasons Jay mentioned. >:( :(
I hope not.... but I will still head north and fish with Great company anyways which is 99% of a great trip!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Mar 02, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I hope not.... but I will still head north and fish with Great company anyways which is 99% of a great trip!!!

Me too Mark.....hoping the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY argument wins out!  This is such a different situation as many have already pointed out. :tipup:

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2010, 02:12 PM »

Sad.

It's funny how many things that were considered wrong is right now and what was right is now wrong.
Steve

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #59 on: Mar 02, 2010, 03:35 PM »
It's funny how many things that were considered wrong is right now and what was right is now wrong.
Whoa - that's pretty deep thinking right there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.