The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!  (Read 23198 times)

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Statewide is on ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #60 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:14 PM »
Derbyguy I don't understand how any moron could pin this on you. Again the statewide is a lot different of a situation than the Sebago derby. Think of all the things that we do in our day to day lives that could be considered "inviting disaster" if we didn't do them responsibly and yes, use common sense. By that logic we should ban just about everything that we do. We should close all roads to automobile traffic because some people can't operate their cars safely.We should go back to using slingshots to hunt because some people don't know how to handle a firearm safely. The list just goes on and on. I just can't fathom putting the blame on one person for another person's decisions.
exactly, there are plenty of lakes with safe ice, I bet more people will experience trouble driving to the lake to fish then they will on the ice if they keep their wits about them
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:16 PM »
hmmmm there might be a way to get me a boat or a truck after all   hmmmmm  but any way....

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:26 PM »
exactly, there are plenty of lakes with safe ice, I bet more people will experience trouble driving to the lake to fish then they will on the ice if they keep their wits about them

I always have more trouble getting home then getting there  ;)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #63 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:44 PM »
 VFW, March 2010:
 America's deadliest occupation:
 Commercial Fishing as a "Special Brotherhood".........

I can still remember the big sardine man in Kittery.
 Team Maine, home of the bravehearted. We have a licence to fish on the water. We teach our kids to do the same. I have not heard of any loosing their life being safe. There is not one derby that can tell a fisherman to git off the ice. Ice out fishing is also fun and dangerous, and people will keep doing it. I'm sure someone will try to make laws now for our own good.  Just think of the brave that deal with these elements just so we can bye a dozen shiners or smelts for a buck while others complain about to much war on tv.

enough said!  Who has the bait??  :'( >:(
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline HighlandLK

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:12 PM »
If it was a Ford, they could just drive back out!  ;)
As long as there was a Dodge on the other end pulling it.  ;D ;D

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #67 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:15 PM »

Posted: 6:30 PM
Updated: 7:00 PM
Statewide ice fishing derby canceled

By Deirdre Fleming [email protected]
Staff Writer

The Sebago DerbyFest statewide derby has been canceled, director Tom Noonan said Tuesday.

The board of directors of the 10th Maine Chevrolet Derby decided Tuesday there was not sufficient ice statewide to hold the derby.

The first part of DerbyFest, the ice fishing derby on Sebago Lake, was held on Feb. 20 but canceled after seven people fell through the ice.

However, on Tuesday only six of 25 fish weigh stations across Maine reported having 2 feet of ice or more.

“There are areas that have very good ice. That made us reluctant to cancel the whole thing. But we felt it wasn’t fair to the fishermen in York County who had no intention of driving three to four hours to fish,” Noonan said.

It is only the second time in the 10-year history of the state’s biggest ice fishing derby that it has been canceled.

The $20,000 in prizes and the Chevrolet truck yet to be won will be raffled off on March 9, Noonan said. Those interested in contributing to the charities that the derby supports can still buy $20 tickets for the raffle.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #68 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:17 PM »
YOU HAVE got to be kidding me >:(

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:17 PM »
and I just bought a ticket  >:(

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:22 PM »
"There are areas that have very good ice. That made us reluctant to cancel the whole thing. But we felt it wasn’t fair to the fishermen in York County who had no intention of driving three to four hours to fish,” Noonan said

cmon man? what kind of comment is this? do you not like $ from other counties?
this is the most ridiculous statement one could make....
explain this one to me...please  :cookoo:

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Wow is all i can say
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline bowhuntME

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:23 PM »
I understand this is a good cause and all and it's only $20 but they should offer refunds this is BS.  Is the sebego lake derby fair for the people that live in Greenville????

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:27 PM »
YOU HAVE got to be kidding me >:(
X2 this sucks

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:29 PM »
why dont we just post the sebago thread here and lock the board cause all the content will be the same  :whistle: If you are serious about fishing and not fishing for the money you will still go fishing. ....let the b!tching begin!

Offline Swamp Donkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:31 PM »
First year doing either derby, can't say I'm very impressed. I live in southern Maine and I know about 7-10 Ponds that are full of Pickeral and have still 14" plus ice within a half our drive of Mechanic Falls.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:31 PM »
Bummed its cancelled, but I couldn't go out this weekend, so now I have a chance at winning something in addition to the truck.  Does suck for a lot of you guys up north esp.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Makes my decision a whole lot easier I guess, was going to head north but i guess i will stay south and fish where there isn't any ice

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #78 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:33 PM »
why dont we just post the sebago thread here and lock the board cause all the content will be the same  :whistle: If you are serious about fishing and not fishing for the money you will still go fishing. ....let the b!tching begin!
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: you are so correct

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Ford motor co...............that's how I got to the lake.

Polaris............... ........that's how I got on the lake.

Sorrel boots................. .that's what weighed me down so I couldn't swim good.

Whoever I was fishing with.................. ......because they didn't save me.

But there's no way it's my fault!  ;D

Windham Rotary................ ...because I'm to stupid to make sure the ice is safe

Unfortunately, this is probably exactly why they cancelled.

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:36 PM »
still going to fish,, even though the derby is cancelled just dont agree with them canceling the event,,

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:42 PM »
still going to fish,, even though the derby is cancelled just dont agree with them canceling the event,,
All this will do is change where I am fishing this weekend.

Offline Mearzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:46 PM »
 :o :'(WoW! :o Hook-Line & Sinker!!!  They reeled us in! :tipup: :icefish: :%$#!: :nono:

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #83 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I live in Cranston, R.I. that's a 6 hour drive  I was was and still am going fishing up there .I believe there is a derby on  Wassokeag and another on Hebron in Monson  . Guy's that want to fish a big derby  will drive a long way.
[img]

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #84 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Anyone know if the Great East Lake derby is still on for Sunday?  It is in York County, and you know there is no safe ice there  ;D

Offline crzy granny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:15 PM »
we are still planning a trip out with the family. may have to drive a few extra miles north,but a nice sunny day of icefishin',
 ahhhhhhh        the way life should be.    Be safe all.

crzy granny ;)

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:25 PM »
However, on Tuesday only six of 25 fish weigh stations across Maine reported having 2 feet of ice or more.

Two feet? We are ice fishing not having a carnival on the ice.......

That is ridiculous.

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:28 PM »
     Yes the Statewide is cancelled. Anyone who bought a ticket to the Statewide only can be refunded if the request is made before the drawings on Tuesday. All prizes ($40,000+) will be given to derby entrants through drawings. If you withdraw, you will not be eligible for the prizes.
      This was a difficult decision to make. We had 19 of 25 weigh stations reporting that they had dangerous ice conditions in their area. The weather forecasts also were not that promising. I can tell you that all of your posts to this thread were mentioned at the meeting.
       Those of us who have put several hundreds of hours into this had to make a tough decision. You can now decide whether you fish or not, where you will go or not, whether you stay in or not.
       Those that enter still have a $20 shot at a truck, ATV and other prizes. Plus you will have the knowledge that every cent you spent will go to the hungry in Maine and other local charities.

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #88 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:35 PM »
tom i'm not in yet, i was waiting to hear the call frankly. can i still buy a ticket now anyway and be entered for the prizes. thought i'd put it out there. ;D

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:36 PM »
OK, I have a question Tom, as it may not be clear in your post.
All the $$$ that would have been won in the fish catagories will still be given away in raffle form?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.