The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!  (Read 23197 times)

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!
« on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:12 PM »
If you hear rumors that the Statewide is cancelled, don't believe it unless you see me post it here or on our website.
There's bad ice and good ice. One of the reasons the Statewide was developed was to take advantage of the areas in the State that have good ice.
If you don't feel comfortable going to your usual spot and you don't feel like traveling North, just sit back and relax. You still can win the truck.

Our board will be meeting Tuesday to discuss the ice situation across Maine. There are several weigh stations that may not be open due to the conditions in their area. The discussion to close the derby entirely will be held. In any case, all the prizes will be given out.
Your input is appreciated and I will present it to the board.

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Statewide is on !
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:28 PM »
If you hear rumors that the Statewide is cancelled, don't believe it unless you see me post it here or on our website.
There's bad ice and good ice. One of the reasons the Statewide was developed was to take advantage of the areas in the State that have good ice.
If you don't feel comfortable going to your usual spot and you don't feel like traveling North, just sit back and relax. You still can win the truck.
:clap: :thumbsup:
i ain't scared

Offline bowhuntME

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:44 PM »
SWEEEEET :o

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Nice.  looks like another long weekend for me. 

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Nice.  looks like another long weekend for me. 
       GOOD LUCK Todd
i ain't scared

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Where do you register for the derby,I'll be up in Monson this weekend.
[img]

Offline bowhuntME

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:32 PM »
you can do it online www.icefishingderby.co m

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Ok lets place bets on how many trucks/cars go threw the ice just to win a durby??? I say 8,threw out the state,and 12 wheelers. :-\
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
Re: Statewide is on ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2010, 04:48 PM »
very confident the right decisions will be made by derby officials. good to here we get direct from the top info right here! thanks tom

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I don't like the idea of closing weigh stations in Southern Maine.  There are still safe pickerel bodies of water, and think it would be in bad taste to have to drive an hour or more to turn them in.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I don't like the idea of closing weigh stations in Southern Maine.  There are still safe pickerel bodies of water, and think it would be in bad taste to have to drive an hour or more to turn them in.
I was thinking the same thing.

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:05 PM »
ice conditions are getting worse every day we have not had freezing temps in many days now. one person already died  from the result of a derby do we need to risk any more lives.

laker
lakertaker

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:09 PM »
ice conditions are getting worse every day we have not had freezing temps in many days now. one person already died  from the result of a derby do we need to risk any more lives.

laker

Statistically more people would be injured driving an hour or more to weigh in a fish, then actually catching the fish!

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maximum Fish Extraction Please...
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:37 PM »
there's still plenty of good ice over in this area, hopefully the station at the Acton Trading Post is left open...

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:30 PM »
ice conditions are getting worse every day we have not had freezing temps in many days now. one person already died  from the result of a derby do we need to risk any more lives.

laker

Give me a break steve, this doomsday bull is getting old!  ???
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I am not fishing the derby but the closing of southern maine stations would be a big upset. Still plenty of ice for those of us in our right minds.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:46 PM »
No matter what decision is made, some will not be happy. I think they will have to do what is in the best intrest to the majority of fisherman, glad it's not me making the decision.  :-\

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Why is it any derby organizers responsibility to take fishermen's hands on this and dictate. It isn't like the Sebago Derby where it is limited to one (unsafe) body of water. We are all adults here and we all can make a decision for ourselves. If people would only use some common sense we wouldn't have problems like these.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Why is it any derby organizers responsibility to take fishermen's hands on this and dictate. It isn't like the Sebago Derby where it is limited to one (unsafe) body of water. We are all adults here and we all can make a decision for ourselves. If people would only use some common sense we wouldn't have problems like these.

X2  Let the people decide.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:33 PM »
X2  Let the people decide.
Ok I up the anti 18 trucks/cars and 22 wheelers :o That common sence thing dont fly

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Ok I up the anti 18 trucks/cars and 22 wheelers :o
What are you drinking tonight.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I am still shocked about what went on at Sabago with the trucks parked side by side on the ice. I saw that on the news and I just could not belive it. ???

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:48 PM »
I am still shocked about what went on at Sabago with the trucks parked side by side on the ice. I saw that on the news and I just could not belive it. ???
Gotta live life by this saying. " Here for a good time not a long time!"  AND it will surprise you how much differently everything looks!   ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Plenty of great ice up here and to the north.  It would be a shame to cancel when there is so much great water still safe to fish.  The guys up this way have always had to drive south for the Sebago derby, maybe it's about time you all had to drive up this way if you want to fish the statewide derby. ;D
Big difference between this and Sebago.  Sebago was 3/4 open water to begin with.  Not many of us have any plans to be fishing a lake this weekend that has that much open water on it.  Where I'm headed, it's still going to be below freezing every night between now and then and there is still 2ft of ice. 
If you don't want to fish the derby because you don't feel comfortable on the ice, then please just don't go....your decision.  But don't go whining to Derbyguy that everyone is going to fall through.........scarin g derby officials into cancelling just because of your own decision to stay home.  Doesn't matter if it's cancelled or not, we're still fishing this weekend.  Having the derby however, is why the weekend was planned in the first place. 

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:30 PM »
i'm not saying  there isn't good ice in places but i live on a lake and everyday i'm watching this lake change  and there is still a weak to go.  i would fish the derby but the thousand bucks is not worth driving to east grand. maybe if we could get some cold temps here in southern maine the next 4 days i would fish. I'm not saying cancel the derby. But if a warden went through the ice before a derby starts it should of raised a red flag to someone. No by all means continue the derby, don't go on about common sense because we all know it all, and who needs common sense! if your not sure about the ice stay off it!

lakertaker

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:33 PM »
 Well Tom, thank you for the opportunity to donate to a great cause! We get in every year regardless if we fish or not. This is my first year fishing. I plan on taking the whole family out this weekend. It really does not matter if there is ice or not.  We will have a good time anyway. I am very perplexed on the moneys you have to pay out to lawyers.? We don't need a prize for our donation, and will eat our fish anyway. Thanks!!   ;)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:41 PM »
We had 17 inches on Moose in bridgton yesterday,I don't think anybody has to drive very far to find good ice.Good fish maybe,but not good ice.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:21 AM »
i'm not saying  there isn't good ice in places but i live on a lake and everyday i'm watching this lake change  and there is still a weak to go.  i would fish the derby but the thousand bucks is not worth driving to east grand. maybe if we could get some cold temps here in southern maine the next 4 days i would fish. I'm not saying cancel the derby. But if a warden went through the ice before a derby starts it should of raised a red flag to someone. No by all means continue the derby, don't go on about common sense because we all know it all, and who needs common sense! if your not sure about the ice stay off it!

[/q

common sense tells me....you dont feel like traveling this weekend...so you wouldnt mind if they cancelled...BUT please dont rain on everyones parade....
youre comparing Apples w/Oranges...East Grand is not Sebago...Sebago didnt have safe ice...East Grand does...
the interstate will be full with people heading North for a chance at a $1000

Offline phishslayersbrother

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:40 AM »
Statistically more people would be injured driving an hour or more to weigh in a fish, then actually catching the fish!

Like the man said... Just relax and sit home,you can still win the truck.

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2010, 05:44 AM »
thin or thick............dozen donuts have never fooled mother nature............. :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.