The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Eagle Food !!!!!  (Read 31807 times)

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eagle Food !!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I think using the pike to feed the Gulls makes more sense then having pike feed on the trout all day.  Nice pics!

Second that but i throw every fish i catch back as long it's not invasive, and smaller then my biggest of that species of salmon or trout.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:06 PM »

way to go sportsman!!!!!!!!!!! kill every one u can get ur hands on!!!!!!!!!!!! love it.... keep  the pics coming

Nice !!!!!!!    ::)

Offline shybeaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I still have yet to see a trout in the belly of a pike with all these kill shotts and being gutted out huh  ???

How many pike have you cut into????

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:09 PM »

I dont need to i see enouph on here  ;)Ive made nuggets for my wife and inlaws i dont eat fish. :sick: just like to catch and release thats why i bass fish in the summer  ;)

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Great looking pike! I bet that deep, deep down inside you actually enjoyed catching them on a tip up. I mean come on, you get to the trap and the spool is spinning faster than you've ever seen before. Then the fight, and the runs those fish make at the hole..................
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:17 PM »
no body eats pike because most of them come from lakes that used to be filled with trash androscoggin, sabattus, etc. hey it was one of our own that put them here  theres no one to blame but ourselves. there someone out there that knows who did this mayhem of stocking this invasive species. Probably because they couldn't catch game fish.  anyway  i believe if you catch it you do what you want with it.  if you want to let them go than thats fine, if you want them to be eagle bait then so be it.  Maybe we should start censoring before we post. Like beware if you like pike you shouldn't read this post  Graphic Content Beware!!! than none of you would be offended.  People need to stop whining and worry about themselves. No one is perfect i'm sure one of you guys saying its not ethical have done something unethical before. Let the guy fish. its not like there arn't enough pike to go around there only invading every lake in southern maine.
lakertaker

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:18 PM »
I guess people just like to argue about this issue - The perverbial line in the sand has been drawn, sides have been decided and I'm guessing nobody will be switching alliances.  Until the State of Maine changes it's laws there is nothing unethical about leaving pike on the ice for the eagles enjoyment.  Do I like it?  No, actually I don't...But, I hate seeing pike gaining inroads into every Maine waterway due to bucket bios/natural causes even more.   I've never fished for or caught a pike, but if caught it will most certainly end up on the ice. If that makes me a bad sportsman, then I'll learn to live with it.  
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline nightrider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Great looking pike! I bet that deep, deep down inside you actually enjoyed catching them on a tip up. I mean come on, you get to the trap and the spool is spinning faster than you've ever seen before. Then the fight, and the runs those fish make at the hole..................
NOT !! you get a flag and don't even realize you have a fish till you start to spool your line and then you get excited for the eagles. and believe me they can tell when I arrive they fly overhead just waiting.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:22 PM »
no body eats pike because most of them come from lakes that used to be filled with trash androscoggin, sabattus, etc. hey it was one of our own that put them here  theres no one to blame but ourselves. there someone out there that knows who did this mayhem of stocking this invasive species. Probably because they couldn't catch game fish.  anyway  i believe if you catch it you do what you want with it.  if you want to let them go than thats fine, if you want them to be eagle bait then so be it.  Maybe we should start censoring before we post. Like beware if you like pike you shouldn't read this post  Graphic Content Beware!!! than none of you would be offended.  People need to stop whining and worry about themselves. No one is perfect i'm sure one of you guys saying its not ethical have done something unethical before. Let the guy fish. its not like there arn't enough pike to go around there only invading every lake in southern maine.
People eat the white perch out of sabattus so why not the pike there was one thread the guy jigged up 27 he said what do you think he did with them  ???

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:22 PM »
People eat the white perch out of sabattus so why not the pike there was one thread the guy jigged up 27 he said what do you think he did with them  ???

They make some good coyote bait  ;)
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:23 PM »
honestly, i've caught pike to 14lbs through the ice, and up to 5lbs on the fly

on the fly they are awesome on the take, but not much else after that

all the pike over 5lbs i've landed through the ice came straight out, little fuss, no fight

then again, i'd argue that the best fighting fresh water fish i've seen are carp....

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:24 PM »
I've eaten one pike and a bunch of white perch out of Sabattus, and THEY BOTH WERE DELICIOUS............. ...................... ......... instead of leaving em on the ice, you should actually give em a try, you probably will be surprised.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:24 PM »
NOT !! you get a flag and don't even realize you have a fish till you start to spool your line and then you get excited for the eagles. and believe me they can tell when I arrive they fly overhead just waiting.

Im sure your a legend !

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:25 PM »
[/quote}

ok, enough playing around - serious answer is big fish eat small fish, so the accumulated badness from their environment is far, far greater than small fish....the big fish get all the bad stuff from all the little ones they eat

smaller fish are always 'safer' to eat

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:25 PM »
you have never cought a monster pike then they will spool you in no time and ive seen my share of monsters  8)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:26 PM »
honestly, i've caught pike to 14lbs through the ice, and up to 5lbs on the fly

on the fly they are awesome on the take, but not much else after that

all the pike over 5lbs i've landed through the ice came straight out, little fuss, no fight

then again, i'd argue that the best fighting fresh water fish i've seen are carp....
Little fuss, no fight. You must be joking??
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Like i said  ;D

Offline nightrider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Only in the Eagles eye!!!! :clap:
Im sure your a legend !

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:31 PM »
yeah.....i've had togue half the size that were a lot tougher, honestly

the best pike ever was one in 2' of water, below the ice.....dropped the shiner, as i lifted it off the bottom, it came slashing at the bait again, and missed

my buddy, a newbie, spent 10 minutes, line in hand, laying on the ice, before he hooked it...it kept slashing at the bait, missing, coming back.....that was cool

but honestly, the little ones go nuts, kind of like a wild brookie.....they know something isn't right, they thrash around without a real plan (a big brown, a river smallie, a largemouth in the salad....they have a plan).....the big ones have pulled hard simply because they were big and didn't like what was going on, but....

every time i catch them on the fly in the spring, i always swear after landing the first one that i am going to clip the point of the hook off, because it is all about the take....after that, it's just kind of a PITA, they come in easy and then thrash at the boat

the take, though.....that's worth the effort sometimes

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Nice Pics!  But this thread has turned to shizit.

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Thank goodness because i was beginning to think i was hallucinating all these years ;D
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:38 PM »
this one is modest, for sure, but my biggest to date

just under 14lbs on jim's scale (is he still open?)

from the time i set the hook until it was flopping on the ice was maybe 7 seconds.....and all the other ones over 5lbs (maybe 20-30 fish i've caught or seen caught....i don't target them but a few times a winter and once or twice after ice out) were similar

maybe i just get the lazy ones

and i joke around on the pike threads, i've probably put as many back in the water at sabattus as i've killed, but i am serious about the lack of fight i've seen

the take can be epic.....i've had large pike flies just destroyed, and two hooks broken....but after that, nothing to write home about

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:41 PM »
this one is modest, for sure, but my biggest to date

just under 14lbs on jim's scale (is he still open?)

from the time i set the hook until it was flopping on the ice was maybe 7 seconds.....and all the other ones over 5lbs (maybe 20-30 fish i've caught or seen caught....i don't target them but a few times a winter and once or twice after ice out) were similar

maybe i just get the lazy ones

and i joke around on the pike threads, i've probably put as many back in the water at sabattus as i've killed, but i am serious about the lack of fight i've seen

the take can be epic.....i've had large pike flies just destroyed, and two hooks broken....but after that, nothing to write home about

(Image removed from quote.)
Thats not to bad of a fish but when they get to 17 pounds up hang on

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #53 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Disgusting.....makes me want to puke....you people that kill every pike you catch just for the fun of it because it is an "invasive species"  are the reason sportsmen get a bad name....and don't give me the "he's doing his duty" crap....that just shows how unintelligent you really are.  Do you want to kill all the turkey's off too?!?  The pike are here to stay and I love it!!!!!!  Death to all the trout.  I have never caught any trout that put up a fight even close to that of a small 5 lb pike.  That's right trout fisherman.....small is 5 lbs in pike land.  You should try it.  

If I post the same pictures but with trout in it how will I be recieved?

Offline nightrider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Catch the trout and feed them, we will respond!!!

Offline shybeaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Disgusting.....makes me want to puke....you people that kill every pike you catch just for the fun of it because it is an "invasive species"  are the reason sportsmen get a bad name....and don't give me the "he's doing his duty" crap....that just shows how unintelligent you really are.  Do you want to kill all the turkey's off too?!?  The pike are here to stay and I love it!!!!!!  Death to all the trout.  I have never caught any trout that put up a fight even close to that of a small 5 lb pike.  That's right trout fisherman.....small is 5 lbs in pike land.  You should try it.  

Go for it!!!  Good luck!

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:46 PM »

YA actually I want to kill all the turkeys, and then maybe the deer population will be half way decent again. And Are you serious about death to all trout? Obviously you arnt a serious fisherman or else you would know that trout and salmon are Maine's past time. Those fish have been fished in Maine waters for century's, and it's a dieing shame when a trout lake has pike introduced to it. Woodab17, you sound like a god d@$n highlander to me. Move out west and catch all the pike you want.
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:48 PM »
YA actually I want to kill all the turkeys, and then maybe the deer population will be half way decent again. And Are you serious about death to all trout? Obviously you arnt a serious fisherman or else you would know that trout and salmon are Maine's past time. Those fish have been fished in Maine waters for century's, and it's a dieing shame when a trout lake has pike introduced to it. Woodab17, you sound like a god d@$n highlander to me. Move out west and catch all the pike you want.

No Thanks.....there are plenty of big pike here in New England for me to catch.  I guess as an outdoorsman I don't see the difference between killing a nice pike for no reason and killing a nice trout for no reason.  I wouldn't kill either unless it was going to be eaten.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Well 2 wrongs dont make a right  ;)I wouildnt crap on what anyone fishes for

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:50 PM »

Didn't see any pics???  ???  I'm sure you were being sarcastic, but "death to trout" is ok, but "death to pike" isn't?  Have you ever caught a 5lb trout to compare to a similar sized pike?  I certainly haven't, so can't comment one way or the other, and would guess you haven't either.  As I stated in my previous post, the sides have been decided and alliances probably won't be changing.   Rather then inciting the board with outrageous posts, perhaps you would like to add something tangible...
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.