The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: sebago  (Read 18613 times)

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
Re: sebago
« Reply #60 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I believe that in the ten year history of this derby, it was cancelled one other time but was cancelled well in advance. Could any one tell me if it was cancelled by derby officials and if not by whose authority? How was the issue of pre-paid tickets handled at that time?

I believe it was derby officials and they opened it up to the statewide............ that is how we have a statewide derby also.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:27 PM »
I was told  by the Game warden that was part of the rescue  by Shaw acres that Tom called it ?  ???

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:28 PM »
First of all we were by shaws acres where they are looking for the missing snowmobilist and the wardens said that the derby was canceled by the Derby Official with the the input or something like that.

For everybody whining about a refund. Think you just spent 5 dollars on a derby at sebago and the statewide is twenty five think of it that way and stop your complaining.

The conditions where good early but diminshed very quickly. Where the ice around the rocks were solid this morning had about three feet of open water between them.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:29 PM »
I was told  by the Game warden that was part of the rescue  by Shaw acres that Tom called it ?  ???

I herd the Fire Department and cumberland county sheriffs called it?

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:30 PM »
I herd the Fire Department and cumberland county sheriffs called it?

That is not what the warden told me, icemaniac, and a couple of other shanty members. This came from the region sargeant also.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:32 PM »
;D should have been done a week ago  ;D ;D

But it was called today ...................... ...................... ..so we got to get out and meet some new people some of which are lurkers  but good people non the less  and lived to tell about it so  we all are winners as far as im concerned  ;D ;D

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #66 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:33 PM »
From WMTW website:

Police ordered everyone off the ice of Jordan Bay on Sebago Lake Saturday because the ice was breaking up.

According to Major Gregg Sanborn, Deputy Chief Game Warden, the ice on Sebago Lake was extremely unsafe. "Do not go out on the ice because it's too dangerous," Major Sanborn stated. "The organizers of the derbyfest and the ice fishermen who worked so hard to put on this fund-raiser for local charities made the right decision to stop this event."

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #67 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:33 PM »
It makes no never mind who cancled it, they made the right call! The chance at a new boat or what ever the first prize was ain't worth one persons life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Is shouldnt matter thogh fisherman fish at there own risk everyday they knew the consciquences before heading out. But yes it is good they cancelled would hate to see someone get hurt it just sucks. I know tons of people had 5-600 or more dollars invested just to be there and fish in the derby.
[/quote
you still have alot to learn. A fish, a truck, a boat none of it is worth a persons life let alone the liability of all the people on the ice. They did the right thing.

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #69 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:41 PM »
I know Tom and he cares about every single person that participates in this event...  He definately made the right choice to cancel the derby and I'm sure it wasn't entirely him in that decision, from the sounds of the news article he had some pressure from the local authorities...  we all complain about our tax dollars at work, how much do you think it cost today to rescue those that happenend in the drink today...  I realize that a lot of the guys that frequent this site have a good head on their shoulders and know good ice from bad ice, but there are a bunch that fish this event that only make it on the ice for this one event...  I didn't even fish this year but I want to take the time to Thank Tom for his hard work and dedication to this event...  I'm sure he will have a hard time sleeping tonight thinking about the day and everything involved.....  DerbyGuy..You the Man...  Thanks and I look forward to a better go at it next year... ;) :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:

I heard the fire dept canceled the derby not them.  :o
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #70 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I heard i was canceled by global warming! ;D ;D ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:44 PM »
and lived to tell about it

Let's not forget that someone is still missing...

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #72 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:45 PM »
[quote au ;Dthor=Snopro link=topic=146621.msg1436495#msg1436495 date=1266716624]
I heard i was canceled by global warming! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Ya  ;D  ;D  is this gore
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #73 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:05 PM »
  For all the hard work campaigning for funding and organizing such a large event and doing so for the past ten years he is to be commended for having the experience and knowledge to put it all together. My gut feeling was that he took responsiblity in a very difficult situation to call it off. The channel 6 news report that I watched at 6pm made it sound as if the Standish Fire Department had some kind of input into the decision but their reporting was unclear about this point in my opinion. Unfortunate way for the derby to have to end but most importantly everyone got off the lake safely to fish another day! :)

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:05 PM »
If anyone complaining about them cancelling it wins the truck, I think we should be able to throw water balloons at you with Flatty at the banquet!!   ;D ;D ;D ::)

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:08 PM »
You guys suppose the current is related to the work on White's bridge? I figure they might have the dam more open than usual to adjust the water level for work being done? Just a theory, anyone have any other reasons for the current? haven't really gotten any rain lately... I really think the current negatively effected the bite. (and for sure the ice conditions)

PS
you guys can badmouth global warming because you dislike Al Gore all you want, but if you check the ice levels on Sebago over the last few hundred years I think you'll see a trend of later and less ice. I know that wind plays a very dominant role in whether Sebago freezes, but it has to be cold enough to form enough ice to resist the wind when it comes. Climate change is an issue that transcends politics, don't debate it with me, debate it with the professional scientists who dedicate their careers to studying climate (people who know what they're talking about).
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:11 PM »
The current was running away from whites bridge, towards the station.  My guess was maybe the sun and warm air temps were warming the top layer of the open water, but not the water under the ice and that was causing it to move?  You also hear about the lake 'turning over' in the spring, when the ice goes out quick-maybe thats happening early this year??  Either way, I think the current was worse for the ice than the warm temps or the wind.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Yeah, I definitely agree that the current was the biggest player in the ice conditions. People love to get excited about warm weather melting the ice... I don't buy that unless the warm temps combine with other factors, like the current. ice deterioration 90% current 10% Temps and other factors..

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:17 PM »
We lost a lot of ice, but there was no slush or water on top, except what was coming up through cracks

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:20 PM »
How much ice was on the lake at the end of the day?

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:21 PM »
How much ice was on the lake at the end of the day?

About 10" at the station.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:22 PM »
5-6" near squaw island

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:22 PM »
When we pulled our traps, the farthest ones (none of mine were out there) had about 3 inches, my farthest one had 6 and my closest to shore ones had 16.  but the open water was probably a 1/4 mile closer than when we got there in the am and the ice was cracking up into big floating chunks.  you would step over a crack you didnt see, and the ice would drop 1/2 inch under your forward foot

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:24 PM »
There was one crack in 6-7 inches of ice that would open up to 3 inches, then close down to 1/2 inch.  when it was open to 3- I dropped in the jig line and 'trolled' about 100 feet.  it was through the ice, so I assume still legal, but was the first time I have ever 'trolled' while ice fishing!

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:25 PM »
There was one crack in 6-7 inches of ice that would open up to 3 inches, then close down to 1/2 inch.  when it was open to 3- I dropped in the jig line and 'trolled' about 100 feet.  it was through the ice, so I assume still legal, but was the first time I have ever 'trolled' while ice fishing!

I tried that out by Indian Island last weekend didnt work tho :(

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:27 PM »
When we pulled our traps, the farthest ones (none of mine were out there) had about 3 inches, my farthest one had 6 and my closest to shore ones had 16.  but the open water was probably a 1/4 mile closer than when we got there in the am and the ice was cracking up into big floating chunks.  you would step over a crack you didnt see, and the ice would drop 1/2 inch under your forward foot

Doesn't sound like fun to me

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:32 PM »
You guys suppose the current is related to the work on White's bridge? I figure they might have the dam more open than usual to adjust the water level for work being done? Just a theory, anyone have any other reasons for the current? haven't really gotten any rain lately... I really think the current negatively effected the bite. (and for sure the ice conditions)

PS
you guys can badmouth global warming because you dislike Al Gore all you want, but if you check the ice levels on Sebago over the last few hundred years I think you'll see a trend of later and less ice. I know that wind plays a very dominant role in whether Sebago freezes, but it has to be cold enough to form enough ice to resist the wind when it comes. Climate change is an issue that transcends politics, don't debate it with me, debate it with the professional scientists who dedicate their careers to studying climate (people who know what they're talking about).

warming and cooling trends is more like it  ;) even the found of the weather channel says its a farse.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:34 PM »
:cookoo:

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #88 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Was it windy out there today, that would explain the current.  8)
How they biten

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Was it windy out there today, that would explain the current.  8)

Sure was dude. Warm wind at that. Water under the ice was 34 f at sun-up then got to 37 f by noon, back to 34 at sundown. Floating sheets of ice bowing to the wind.
 Have you heard from Will and the boys?   :-\
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.