The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: sebago  (Read 18615 times)

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sebago
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:00 PM »
We had 6-8 inches when we started, some places less than 3 by the end of the day, at least where we were, it went away fast.  I think the strong current we had under the ice was the worst thing for it.  our holes were still 10" at the top, but 14-16" at the bottom, it was wierd, never seen anything like it.

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:03 PM »
8" is perfectly safe, but the Station can't possibly hold everybody that wants to fish.

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:06 PM »
8" is perfectly safe, but the Station can't possibly hold everybody that wants to fish.

I no that but people don't need to push there luck there are plenty of other places to fish out there where they dont have to cross pressure ridges and soft spots.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:11 PM »
I no that but people don't need to push there luck there are plenty of other places to fish out there where they dont have to cross pressure ridges and soft spots.
I agree, but you are failing to recognize that this tournament is open to all people, not just a few experienced fisherman who know enough to stay away from unsafe areas.  There are families and people who come form all over to fish this tournament.  I think that a lot of these people assume that since its not cancelled it must be safe.  It's cancelled to save a life, and if "you" catching the winning fish is more important than some kids dad's life than so be it.  Canceling is the right move.

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Ya but fisherman "fish at there own risk". It says that right in the derby pamphlet.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:18 PM »
I understand where you are coming from, but (according to you earlier post) you are only 18 years old.  Over time you'll understand why they had to cancel this.  The ice is not safe to hold an event of this size.  You have to keep in mind that it's not about you or what you could do, they have to think about the bigger picture.  Believe me, you'll have MANY more days ahead to fish.  M.G.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Whatever you think was the right decision, I know after today, if it was my decision to make and I kept it open and someone died....  Well lets just say, I would have still had it today and cancelled it after today just like they did.  Again, in a lot of places, the ice is probably good, but in a lot of places it went bad fast.

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Is shouldnt matter thogh fisherman fish at there own risk everyday they knew the consciquences before heading out. But yes it is good they cancelled would hate to see someone get hurt it just sucks. I know tons of people had 5-600 or more dollars invested just to be there and fish in the derby.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Ya but fisherman "fish at there own risk". It says that right in the derby pamphlet.
Everything we do is "at our own risk".  A disclaimer in a pamphlet doesn't make it any safer for the people who don't know any better.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:28 PM »
I agree, it does suck.  they said on the news, they were out making people get off jordans bay cause the ice was breaking up.  what do you do with 4 drunk guys plannin on sleepin in their shack?  times how many shacks full of people with the same plans?  can't make em drive home, shouldnt even make em haul their shacks to shore with wheeler or snowmobile.  that must be a nightmare.

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:35 PM »
The only thing i dont understand is that they don't want fisherman on it but there still having the sled drags tomorrow. But the ice is unsafe. I dont get it.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:36 PM »
The only thing i dont understand is that they don't want fisherman on it but there still having the sled drags tomorrow. But the ice is unsafe. I dont get it.
The course is in a designated area known to be safe.  It doesn't require a thousand people scattered all over the lake.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:38 PM »
. "I know tons of people" had 5-600 or more dollars invested just to be there and fish in the derby.

You keyed on it!....."TONS of people".....The ice is not in condition to hold TONS OF PEOPLE/ Or might not be by tomorrow afternoon......And I don't believe that the tournament chaiman wanted to endange anyone for the sake of a fishing derby......He had no control over the weather / It just didn't want to co-operate......It is what it is: everyone should count their blessings that they @ least had one beautiful day to fish W/ NO CASUALTIES......MO...-LL
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline newenglandbassfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Good news is that we will know who won tommorow maybe. but if if it is that unsafe and people are getting hurt..what else can you do... Maybe a discount for registered people next year?

Offline SebagoSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:43 PM »
9.62 won 1st. And last i herd 6.40 2nd. and 5.47 was 3rd. but not positive on the last two.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Good news is that we will know who won tommorow maybe. but if if it is that unsafe and people are getting hurt..what else can you do... Maybe a discount for registered people next year?
You still get your statewide entry out of it and 1 day of Sebago Tourney.  It all goes to good causes. I doubt there gonna go through all the paperwork headache of discounting a ticket next year.  I say eat it! ;)

Offline TheBigGreekk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:47 PM »
No matter what decision was made, somebody would have been unhappy, better to be safe than sorry...G
TheBigGreek

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:49 PM »
No matter what decision was made, somebody would have been unhappy, better to be safe than sorry...G
That is true.  Some happy fisherman and a few unhappy dead people or some unhappy fisherman and no dead people.  No brainer.  :P

Offline Brill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I hate to see what happens with the few hundred shacks that may get left out there during these unsafe conditions-- with forecasted temps in the 40's for the rest of the week :-\?? Not good-- hopefully everyone gets out safe & sound

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:51 PM »
I hate to see what happens with the few hundred shacks that may get left out there during these unsafe conditions-- with forecasted temps in the 40's for the rest of the week :-\?? Not good-- hopefully everyone gets out safe & sound
Structure.  8)

Offline Brill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Structure.  8)

Lol! Something else for me to lose my trolling gear on ;)

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Whatever you think was the right decision, I know after today, if it was my decision to make and I kept it open and someone died....  Well lets just say, I would have still had it today and cancelled it after today just like they did.  Again, in a lot of places, the ice is probably good, but in a lot of places it went bad fast.
         I know we were not going to fish the same area on sunday. The ice was just to sketchy. I was out thursday and it was fine after today i won't go out on that same area !!
    Yes we lost lots of ice out there today . I would have loved to hit the backup spot tommorrow but ohwell    better safe than sorry !   it was probably the worst ice at the end of the day that i have ever seen     park the wheeler and 15 minutes later 4-5 inches of water surrounding it !!! water was seeping up thru 6-7 inches of ice   scary stuff
    I have never seen the current on sebago like we saw today
i ain't scared

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:59 PM »
No derby is not worth someone losing thier life, don't matter where they're from or how much $ was invested. The ice was going fast where we were today.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I dont know about you but im mad about it. Because of a select few people who cant take a few mins and be careful they ruin it for everyone. Pressure ridges change through out the day and always should be checked. Fourwheelers and sleds aren't needed out there anyway this year there simply not enough ice i can walk just as fast as them because they need to keep stopping and checking the ice while i keep motoring along. just my .02

Listen the ice became unsafe EVERYWHERE  we lost a bunch of ice and its not about a select group of people its about doing the right thing for te good of all people involved if you think you were safe out there today  you are sorely mistaken  and need to step back and think about the situation  I'm sure it was a tough decision to make but  it was the right one

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:04 PM »

Listen the ice became unsafe EVERYWHERE  we lost a bunch of ice and its not about a select group of people its about doing the right thing for te good of all people involved if you think you were safe out there today  you are sorely mistaken  and need to step back and think about the situation  I'm sure it was a tough decision to make but  it was the right one

;D should have been done a week ago  ;D ;D
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Smart move to cancel for the safety of all! ;D

Should have gone statewide in the first place. >:(

There's no question that the money goes to a good cause, but it's too bad for those that invested a lot of money and planned this for months. :(
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:09 PM »

Just feel lucky you were part of a great charity in 2010 and let it go !!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #57 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:21 PM »
First of all we were by shaws acres where they are looking for the missing snowmobilist and the wardens said that the derby was canceled by the Derby Official with the the input or something like that.

For everybody whining about a refund. Think you just spent 5 dollars on a derby at sebago and the statewide is twenty five think of it that way and stop your complaining.

The conditions where good early but diminshed very quickly. Where the ice around the rocks were solid this morning had about three feet of open water between them.

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I know Tom and he cares about every single person that participates in this event...  He definately made the right choice to cancel the derby and I'm sure it wasn't entirely him in that decision, from the sounds of the news article he had some pressure from the local authorities...  we all complain about our tax dollars at work, how much do you think it cost today to rescue those that happenend in the drink today...  I realize that a lot of the guys that frequent this site have a good head on their shoulders and know good ice from bad ice, but there are a bunch that fish this event that only make it on the ice for this one event...  I didn't even fish this year but I want to take the time to Thank Tom for his hard work and dedication to this event...  I'm sure he will have a hard time sleeping tonight thinking about the day and everything involved.....  DerbyGuy..You the Man...  Thanks and I look forward to a better go at it next year... ;) :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:23 PM »
 I believe that in the ten year history of this derby, it was cancelled one other time but was cancelled well in advance. Could any one tell me if it was cancelled by derby officials and if not by whose authority? How was the issue of pre-paid tickets handled at that time?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.