The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This Mornings Controversy On Ice  (Read 19816 times)

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This Mornings Controversy On Ice
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:31 PM »
So Landlocked and I decide to head over to Great East and brave the 15 inches of snow that had fallen in pursuit of some lakers and bows. We go to his go to spot and and the road is already plowed out and we meander onto the ice. We drill two holes and get a couple traps in. While scott is drilling the fourth hole i can hear some guy yelling from his house about 75 yards in the woods and while he is setting up his trap this guy comes out onto his dock and just looks at us. I say hey hows it going and he says alright. I then get the feeling that he is a little pissy and I with a cheery voice say wow snowy morning. He ignores me and proceeds to ask scott if he would mind not running the dam auger because he does not want to listen to it. The guys is walking right over to scott and at this point im going over to scott and this guy because idk what is gonna go down. He asks me if i could move my trap away from his house and go further up the lake I say umm yeah i do mind i like that spot and i have already drilled the hole and set the trap. I tell him that I will not drill any more holes in front of his house...he was still pursistant that i not have my trap in front of his house because he liked to look at the lake ??? and i continue to say that I will not drill anymore holes on that shoreline. He was all pissy and we basically told him that we were nice compared to other people who mite hoot and holler and show up at 6:30 in the morning and drill holes (we drilled at 7:15). He finally goes back up to his house and his wife yells that we are f****** a** h**** and that they are going to call the cops. I drill another hole where he told me I should be fishing and I hear his wife yelling at us again. Needless to say the cops never came and we caught no fish! Was pretty close to calling the warden about harassment, but i would rather their time go into something more worthwile...like finding stollen shacks :-\ Another thing worth a note is that the house was 75 yards in the woods behind pines and you could barely see it from the water. What is wrong with people????

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: This Mornings Controversy On Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:34 PM »
next time politely tell them to please call the police, because harassment of a hunter or fisher lawfully engaged in their pursuit is against the law

being polite is fine, i would try the kill 'em with kindness route, too....but no way in hell i am altering my fishing in this situation....more holes would have been drilled

some people think they bought the house, they own everything around it

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:34 PM »
give them the fickle finger of fate!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Hard to figure some people out. He does own the whole lake including the ice and snow.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:36 PM »
That's too bad man, I hate it when stuff like that happens. I agree you handled it better than most would for sure :tipup:

Its when I'm working on a guys summer house on the ocean and the complains about all the loud lobster boats at dawn. Those boats and the people using (there) waterfront were there long before them.
Anthony

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:37 PM »
i hate ppl like that you handled it real well tho i deffinatly would have ran my mouth lol

catch pike like its my job

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Sounds like you're a man with a great deal of self control. Good for you. Some people, eh? sheesh!
Scott Wright

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:38 PM »
I would have called the police/warden for them!! ;D

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:40 PM »
After that i would have drilled so many holes i would have to get more gas.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Ya it's too bad that people have to be that way. I would have told him that he owns up to the lake and no more so he has no right in getting mad. They get mad at you because he didn't want the hear the augers. What about the neighbors having to hear the guy and his wife yelling and swearing at you.

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:42 PM »
We felt like saying we will be back in the morning with snowmobiles and straight pipe augers, but really anything ya say like that just enrages the situation. Scott said thats the price you pay for living on a lake. ...listen to the loons in the summer then listen to my auger in the winter  ;D

Offline TheCommander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:43 PM »
After that i would have drilled so many holes i would have to get more gas.

I second that!! maybe I will fish their next sunday morn.

Offline polartippah

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "TroyTMG" on MYFishFinder.com
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I would have drilled holes until I ran out of gas. ;D.  They don't sound like they are originally from around here.  Must be from some place that doesn't have water or ice.

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:46 PM »
If it wasnt so far for me i would be there. power auger and my piped mxz800

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:46 PM »
I second that!! maybe I will fish their next sunday morn.

Anyone who wants to fish there just let me know...I will draw maps  ;)

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:47 PM »
the cops never showed up to harass you cause they were busy giving us a speech  about parking on "private property" and "tresspassing" to get onto the lake this morning, funny considering I never saw a no tresspassing sign, and had no problem parking there last year.  I bet the person that gave you trouble was an out of stater transplant just like the one that called on us
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:50 PM »
spencer....maybe flagg and i will have to come down and help you out.  normally we have to drill at least 100 holes before we can find the spot we want to jig...
bummer about the guy being a jerk.  there is one for every seat

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I would have fired up my auger when he came up and just kept yelling "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the revving motor, then idling it down and when he'd start to speak again rev it way the hell up yelling "WHAT?"  Reapeat as necessary, timing is everything.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:53 PM »
I'd just call a warden, that's nothing less than harassment and you don't have to put up with it. 

There is a guy like that on Madawaska Lake that likes to harass ice fishermen, I was told by a warden to call them up, they would love to cite him for harassing someone lawfully fishing.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:54 PM »
the cops never showed up to harass you cause they were busy giving us a speech  about parking on "private property" and "tresspassing" to get onto the lake this morning, funny considering I never saw a no tresspassing sign, and had no problem parking there last year.  I bet the person that gave you trouble was an out of stater transplant just like the one that called on us

Did there end up being a sign you didn't see?I ask because you see a lot of lakes on the survey maps that say public access is through "permissive trespass" and I take that to mean un-posted private property.It's always good to ask if there's someone around,but a lot of times there isn't.

Offline jiggnfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that Spencer. If you fish and hunt enough you'll inevitably have a few of those experiences over the years. Luckily, they are usually few and far between...

Just waiting for sundown...

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:55 PM »
mmmm, might be a road trip in the near future   ;D nothin says good mornin like 10 ice augers drillin holes at 5:30 in the morning   ;D
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:55 PM »
spencer....maybe flagg and i will have to come down and help you out.  normally we have to drill at least 100 holes before we can find the spot we want to jig...
bummer about the guy being a jerk.  there is one for every seat
Just let me know, I'm in! I love dealing with people like this.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:56 PM »
mmmm, might be a road trip in the near future   ;D nothin says good mornin like 10 ice augers drillin holes at 5:30 in the morning   ;D
;)

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:56 PM »
He finally goes back up to his house and his wife yells that we are f****** a** h**** and that they are going to call the cops. I drill another hole where he told me I should be fishing and I hear his wife yelling at us again. Needless to say the cops never came and we caught no fish! Was pretty close to calling the warden about harassment, but i would rather their time go into something more worthwile...like finding stolen shacks :-\ Another thing worth a note is that the house was 75 yards in the woods behind pines and you could barely see it from the water. What is wrong with people????

should have whipped out the ole cell phone on that comment and dialed um right up for her. They have probably drove a few people away, besides it putting a bad taste on the rest of your day. Id rather see the wardens give them an arse chewwing atleast, than pinching gramps for not attending his jig rod.

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Well I could not have said it any better than Luv2huntandfish,This person that we ran into is lucky he ran into us.I would like to post the exact spot on here so that this man will have plenty of company in the near future.But I won't do that to him.This is the first time I have ever ran into someone so unreasonable.He did complain that he didn't like snowmobiles driving by his place too.I would like to get twenty or thirty people to pepper the cove full of holes close to shore at about 5:00am,for the rest of this ice fishing season  :P :P :P.sorry he pissed me off.I fish to have a good time,that guy should try it ::).LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Just let me know, I'm in! I love dealing with people like this.  ;D ;D ;D

No not you  ;) I would love to go back there with some people...those people dont know what kind of beast they have created.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:01 PM »
I wonder if a resident on a lake could make you wait till a certain time to use a power auger due to a noise ordinance?

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Anyone who wants to fish there just let me know...I will draw maps  ;)
I'll just meet you there. ;)

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I would have fired up my auger when he came up and just kept yelling "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over the revving motor, then idling it down and when he'd start to speak again rev it way the hell up yelling "WHAT?"  Reapeat as necessary, timing is everything.

Hahaha that is a great idea!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.