The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: may be the state record  (Read 16392 times)

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
Re: may be the state record
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Great Catch!

But this fish doesn't look anything like a brook trout.  My bet is either splake or retired brood stock laker put in this fall.
Can't wait for the official results.

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Wicked nice Maine State record Brook Trout,wow that has a nice ring to it.I would go buy a lottery ticket after catching that beauty.Once in a lifetime fish,my congrats to the skillful fishermen.I really am jealous.LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Wow! :o    What a Fish!  :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline king pine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:00 AM »
Thank you for showing a picture of the trophy Brook Trout.  This story will be told over and over. 

King Pine     :~)

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:41 AM »
awesome fish! Congrats to your buddie. That thing must have had a hard time fitting through the hole? We want more of the story! tip-up, jigging, bait?
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:11 AM »
yeah def a good thing he didnt have his card handy hahaha...but for thing...that thing better be on its way to a taxidermist...no matter how long it takes to pay it off...

Offline badbaxter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:59 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
That is one of the largest Salvelinus Fontinalis I have seen in quite a while >  Nice going! Congrats :o

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Makes you wonder when the fish was stocked. It has no adipose fin in the back definatly has been clipped.

Offline huck-huckis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:18 AM »
did it swallow a football.nice fish.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I think it's a freakin' alien! :o :o  That thing is obscene, obese, and AMAZING! I don't think an amatuer would have landed it. Well done! :clap:
I fish.                                                         

Offline loonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Tell him congrats on the fish!

Offline crossfire8snopro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:53 AM »
what pond/lake did he catch it on

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:55 AM »
what pond/lake did he catch it on
read the posts you skipped over and your question's will be answered

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:06 AM »
I have fished for Brookies all over NY state. Never in my life would I dream of catching a fish like that. Let alone through the ice. I bet it was really tasty. Brookies are such nice eating. I hope it tests out for you.

Offline cootstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy, fishy...
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:57 AM »
BY JESUS! :o  THAT THEYUH FISH IS A LOOKUH!

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I hope it is the new state record.  If it is, then maybe finally it'll be enough to get some of these southern Maine lakes to be managed better.  Alot of these lakes have great potential and yet they are all to often managed primarily for a put and take fishery.  I have a 1950's fishery report saying that in order to truly get the most potential out of Mousam Lake, a fishway should be installed at the outlet as the river below would be an excellent area for natural reproduction of the lakes cold water species.  The fishway was never installed.  The lake obviously has the potential to grow some big fish, lets give them a chance to help sustain themselves as well as manage the lake more for trophy fish and less for put and take.

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Couldn't agree more toguefisha, the lake next door is even worse, it just blows my mind they can only put 200 dink browns in square a year.  Some say well the more you put in in time they will get smaller, but I don't see why they don't put more bigger browns in there, or why not put some big rainbows in the place, I think they would thrive in there as well.  With all the bait that's in those two lakes it's crazy.  Granted they do put a lot of fish in Mousam every year already.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline Long Point Slammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I know Wyoming's record brookie is over 10 #'s, but that is one heck of a fish!!  Congrats!!!!!
'If you fish it, they will come.....'

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Couldn't agree more toguefisha, the lake next door is even worse, it just blows my mind they can only put 200 dink browns in square a year.  Some say well the more you put in in time they will get smaller, but I don't see why they don't put more bigger browns in there, or why not put some big rainbows in the place, I think they would thrive in there as well.  With all the bait that's in those two lakes it's crazy.  Granted they do put a lot of fish in Mousam every year already.

Yeah man I know what you mean.  I think also one of the biggest issues is that people all to often keep the smaller fish before they reach their full potential.  For lakes like Square where they seem to be conservative on stocking in order to keep the average size larger, why not put more restrictive length and bag limits so that those fish can grow up and reach their potential.  There are plenty of ponds that you can go and get a couple trout for the pan.  Give more protection to the smaller fish in waters where there is great potential for them to grow big.

Another area where I think the state is missing out on and over the long haul could save alot of money is tributary stream restoration.  It wouldn't take much work in alot of these lakes to put fishways at the outlets and do some restoration/improvement work on there tributaries to allow alot more natural reproduction.  While expensive in the short term- it would save alot in the long term by making certain lakes less dependant on stockings. 

It's really to bad that the state manages it's money so poorly and siphones away so much money from IFW.  They are so short staffed and underbudgeted. 

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Righteo, a possible Maine state record fish comes out of a southern Maine lake and this "proves" that southern Maine Lakes, including the one that the record comes out of, are all managed incorrectly?????

That makes a whole lotta sense.

I'll tell you what... I'll take a whole heapin' helpin' of that crappy 9 pound brookie management in the pond down the street from me.

whatever dudes...

Offline MEhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I guess my issue so much isn't with mousam as it is with square.  Don't want to take away from what this thread is meant to be though.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Offline MadDad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:33 PM »
BEAUTIFUL fish,congrats. hope he plans on getting it mounted. $15 per inch, plus plaque,and nameplate = aprox $425  money well spent. Again awesome fish.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Righteo, a possible Maine state record fish comes out of a southern Maine lake and this "proves" that southern Maine Lakes, including the one that the record comes out of, are all managed incorrectly?????

How about reading my post again and then try responding to something I actually said.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:59 PM »

That makes a whole lotta sense.

I'll tell you what... I'll take a whole heapin' helpin' of that crappy 9 pound brookie management in the pond down the street from me.

whatever dudes...

/
not only do i agree with what toguefisha said...but ever hear of some slipping through the cracks?...if you live down the street, then you know how big of a lake it is...and how deep it is...that gives alot of room for all them tons of fish to roam...not to mention the outlets...

Offline nateobs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:39 PM »
awesome fish.......that first pic doesn't do it as much justice as the 2nd one (in the baitshop)

Offline curtisd1207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:03 PM »
looks a lot like a big splake, especially because of its football shape

Offline Bubbamac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Congrats on a true trophy!  I fish the lake alot during the warmer months and have seen more brookies the last couple years.  They seem to be doing well in there. 

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Congratulations, thats a fish of a lifetime. I am interested in hearing more of the story as well.
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nalegtx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDCORE!!!...
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:33 PM »
thats on heffa!!!! :o
" Can't get there from here...no......"

Offline IceFisha84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Amazing fish, record or not thats awesome. Makes the whole day even if its the only flag you get

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.