The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: State Derby Is It Time To Re-Think It  (Read 16163 times)

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: State Derby Is It Time To Re-Think It
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I believe they used to have crappie and perch in the statewide. They probably put an end to that because of the likelyhood of people showing up with fish counts in the hundreds. Not really a problem for the fisheries but a real pita to weigh in.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Good luck getting bass included, those guys are organized and protect their fish. Never going to happen. Which brings me to say, not all the decisions on permitting are made with a strict eye on what is biologically the best course. One of the most telling statements I ever heard come out of Augusta was they spend more time and effort managing fisherman than fish.

you no iceshanty is kinda a club and yes the bass clubs work hard for that that's why its great fishing here CATCH AND REALESE

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:08 PM »
...most people do not keep a limit of pickerel when they go fishing like they do when they go trout fishing. you cant honestly think that never killing any fish is good for the fish. it's called management and its what we hire biologist for in the first place...the stae issues permits for derbies and help make guidelines for those derbies when they do so.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across the way that it did. I understand very much that overpopulation of certain species can be detrimental to others species and fisheries as well as the over populated species. The moosehead togue issue might be a good example of that. I probably misunderstood your statement as saying that pickerel don't matter and should be whacked and stacked. My apologies if that's the case.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:09 PM »
I thought a Bass was just a fat pickerel. :o
Steve

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Another aspect that is a problem is that it is way to easy to cheat currently. I heard Jackson wasn't even looking at the fish or snipping the tails, didn't want the fish in his store or some such. Guys could have been freezing them the whole season and turn them in. How you going to tell them apart.

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • So easy, a cave man could do it
« Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Let's kill all non Natives.......Tougue, Bass, Crappie, Pike,Salmon...Lets become A Yella perch state

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Let's kill all non Natives.......Tougue, Bass, Crappie, Pike,Salmon...Lets become A Yella perch state

you forgot coyotes.

Offline Aucoin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:13 PM »
What good would a limit do for the state wide when there is little to no enforcement?  I can gaurentee you that limits by law were drastically surpassed this past weekend.  I am on the water every weekend be it ice or not and over the past ten years have been checked twice.  Without enforcement what can we do?  Given my guilty conscience and nack to only keep whats within the limit/within "take only what you need," many have their own ignorant fishery management.  Every year we loose funding for wardens hence putting out fishey in danger and our license money to waste.  Sorry to vent, but where did the virtue go?

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:15 PM »
you forgot coyotes.
oops  coyotes and Flatlanders too!

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:16 PM »
I was checked this weekend by both wardens and border patrol.

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:17 PM »
hope you had you Green card?

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #41 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Hey what are you doing in that shack??  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:18 PM »
buddah looks Canadian...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Hopefully no body cavity checks on the ice. Nothing worst than cold knuckles.
Steve

Offline Frozen__Nutts

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:20 PM »
buddah looks Canadian...  ;D ;D ;D
we should invade Canada too ;D

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Hey what are you doing in that shack??  :roflmao: :roflmao:

"Mind if I look in that bucket?"....................No sir,go right ahead...... :sick: :roflmao:

Offline hoghunta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:22 PM »
"Mind if I look in that bucket?"....................No sir,go right ahead...... :sick: :roflmao:
:woot: :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
huntin the next hog!

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Hopefully no body cavity checks on the ice. Nothing worst than cold knuckles.
:pinch:

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #48 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Steve, TMI  ;D ;D ;D

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #49 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Good thing I wern't there. You got a warrant? You got 60 mins. to get one.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Good thing I wern't there. You got a warrant? You got 60 mins. to get one.  ;D ;D ;D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #51 on: Mar 10, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Does anyone really think that this isnt regulated by the state of maine.  Who on this site thinks that the state does a terrible job with the regulations on deer and moose hunting.  I think they do a great job.  Laws are placed for a reason.  Maine has some of the biggest deer and moose in new england.  Just because its a statewide derby and it looks like fish have been slaughtered, that doesnt mean that the fish are gone and the populations will never grow back.  The state wide derby fish counts are controlled by the maine inland fisheries and wildlife.  If they see that things are out of hand, believe me they will contact Tom and let him know he needs to change the rules. 

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Does anyone really think that this isnt regulated by the state of maine.  Who on this site thinks that the state does a terrible job with the regulations on deer and moose hunting.  I think they do a great job.  Laws are placed for a reason.  Maine has some of the biggest deer and moose in new england.  Just because its a statewide derby and it looks like fish have been slaughtered, that doesnt mean that the fish are gone and the populations will never grow back.  The state wide derby fish counts are controlled by the maine inland fisheries and wildlife.  If they see that things are out of hand, believe me they will contact Tom and let him know he needs to change the rules. 

I guess I view it this way. Just because someone has a title given to them by a state does that automatically make them and their view points the right ones? Ever try to stick yourself into the process to get things changed? I have tried before and its like the good ole boys club. Just because the state sanctions something doesn't mean its right. I'm not saying they don't get things right, I just mean its not that clear cut.

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:50 AM »
 I can see that some of you sports don't have the stomic for this type of harvest! You guys from sebatus, have enough food to open a resterant! It is totaly up to you in keeping the water clean, now that the property values raise and the keep out sighns go up.......
  :-\
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline TommyT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I believe they used to have crappie and perch in the statewide. They probably put an end to that because of the likelyhood of people showing up with fish counts in the hundreds. Not really a problem for the fisheries but a real pita to weigh in.
You would certainly get plenty of entries for the prizes.  Especially if you weighed them in at the Jack Traps store...
"Perch? Alright how many you got?"
"ummmm, 250..."
"OK got it, get 'em out of here."

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I can see that some of you sports don't have the stomic for this type of harvest! You guys from sebatus, have enough food to open a resterant! It is totaly up to you in keeping the water clean, now that the property values raise and the keep out sighns go up.......
  :-\

I don't think its a matter of not having the stomach for it. I think from my point of view its not understanding it on that particular pond.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #56 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:18 AM »
I don't think its a matter of not having the stomach for it. I think from my point of view its not understanding it on that particular pond.
Would you be less ticked off if it happened on any other pond besides your "home waters"??
I really don't think that derby put a dent in the population on Sabattus, just my .02.
The trash on the other hand is a different story, there is no excuse for it....

Offline No Time To_Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Would you be less ticked off if it happened on any other pond besides your "home waters"??
I really don't think that derby put a dent in the population on Sabattus, just my .02.
The trash on the other hand is a different story, there is no excuse for it....

For starters, its not my home pond. Try not to jump to conclusions. This was the first time I had fished it. What I meant was Sabattus is an established Pike fishery. Thats not going to change anytime soon. Please explain to me the value in removing such a potentially high number of fish both large and small? I get that if it was overcrowed with small fish it could be beneficial to remove the smaller size classes and allow some larger fish to grow. Sabattus has proved to have quite a few larger fish. My point was, in a placee where they are relativly new and you really stand a chance of making their establishment possible it makes all kinds of sense.

Offline grubdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:29 AM »
I dont understand what the point is on any lake, pike are here to stay and i think we need to manage them better. I enjoy fishing for all types of fish,  but the funnest fish that i've ever caught would have to be a pike. It was just a little disturbing on sunday going to a wheigh station and watching guys lining up with trash bags full of pike. it just doesn't seem like good management, everyone i have talked to says its been a slow year for big pike, well i wonder why were over fishing pike just like we did with all the other game fish throughout the years.  how exciting is it going to be in a couple years when the pike that win all these derbies is an 8 pounder. i think there needs to be some kind of regulations with derbies like this.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:39 AM »
I gotta go with Mark on this one - last weekend in the overall scheme of things will actually HELP that fishery for the long haul, IMO.  Sorry JimP., I know you have a different belief and I offer no scientific data to support my opinion.

Regarding the trash, people are slobs in life, no reason to believe it doesn't spill over into ice fishing.  It is sickening.  My suggestion to people like livinbass, JimP., Natureboy, and others who have to live there would be to involve your lake association and not tackle the issue as individuals.  Lake associations are very powerful these days and for good reason.  Have the assoc. suggest to the statewide derby officials that something needs to be done to address this if the derby format stays the same.  As a matter of good will, I wouldn't be surprised if THEY may be willing to organize a clean up crew Sat. and Sun. nights of the derby just to keep the good will.  It is a valuable fundraiser for them, they will want to be pro-active.  Just my .02 cents. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.