The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Is smelt dipping dead in the lower peninsula?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
Is smelt dipping dead in the lower peninsula?
« on: Apr 06, 2017, 09:54 AM »
G'morning. So does anybody waste their time going smelt dipping in the lower mitten anymore? We have bailed on the lower & been going to the U.P. the last couple years. If so where do you try?  And what do wait for before you go, a date, water temp change??????

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is smelt dipping dead in the lower peninsula?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2017, 05:25 PM »
good luck on antone telling you about their secret spot!!
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Wasn't asking for that, wouldn't expect it anyway. We are pounding Menominee & smelt though.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28 AM »
None of the Crew I used to Smelt Drink with does it anymore.  Maybe the east side but I am pretty sure the west side is fairly extinct.  I see them in the bellys of Trout and Salmon from time to time but not very often.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2017, 06:32 AM »
Seen a few get caught on the east side lower peninsula around detroit your only aloud two gallons a person..  seen  a lot more  smelt come out of lake huron ice fishing.. then in the river.. cause they can sit on top of smelt in winter amd pick away at them.. when ever there is ice the smelt slow down when there is no ice the smelt come in thick in the lower peninsula .. so keep that in mind just encase we get a good freeze down in the south east michigan ..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08:15 AM »
I bought a bunch of nice smelt dipping nets for cheap at garage sales years ago.always wanted to try it but it does not sound worth it anymore.my favorite Michigan outdoors episode was when fred trost was in that little creek in the daytime netting bucket fulls in one scoop.my smelt nets are now home decor.lol.can only keep 2 gallons of smelt anyways these days.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2017, 07:11 AM »
I bought a bunch of nice smelt dipping nets for cheap at garage sales years ago.always wanted to try it but it does not sound worth it anymore.my favorite Michigan outdoors episode was when fred trost was in that little creek in the daytime netting bucket fulls in one scoop.my smelt nets are now home decor.lol.can only keep 2 gallons of smelt anyways these days.

Ha...yeah that video is awesome.  2 gallons is plenty for me, that's a lot of smelt to clean. 
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.