Author Topic: Advice needed on super small jig.  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Rob_G.

• IceShanty Rookie
Advice needed on super small jig.
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 11:56 PM »
I would like to obtain some very small jigs, like size 16 or even smaller.  Best would be in natural colors and red in a design like a fly fishermans trout fly.  Just a tiny head with a tiny tiny bit of feather or hair to dress the hook.  Any ideas?  I do not believe there are any flyfishing shops near me and I hate to order something before I can see it in person to verify the size.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Advice needed on super small jig.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2016, 12:45 AM »
there is a lot of guys out here that tie there own shoot them a private message if any thing or ask if there willing to sell a few? or look at  post like these and make your own thread #33 in this post is a good description on how to make ice jigs...easily and many more like this one on here ...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=62425.0

also try fishusa.com there great  I have also bought stuff from hookhack.com and bmfs.net and cabelas.com but that all up to you...  I think some thing like a 2457 tmc or tiemco with fine lead wire like .010 or .015 for those hook
lead
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Round-Lead-Wire

here is the hooks tmc 2457 model number :
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Tiemco-2457-CaddisScud-Hooks

if you want to tie on some feather or other stuff get a bobbin and some black 8/0 thread for that feathers

they show how to paint the lead wire in the thread linked above they use male polish lol's I  mean nail polish lol's...

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:28 PM »
My goodness a size 16 is tiny.   The smallest I ever use is a 1/80 oz in #8.  I missed so many fish that I went up to #6.  Don't miss many bites with the larger hook.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Have you checked the Fiska 2.5mm? It's tiny.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Have you checked the Fiska 2.5mm? It's tiny.
Frightening thing is that #20 sized hook on 1# line (or lighter) is all you get a bite on at times, and take some very nice fish. Basic start for 'Gills in my area is a 3mm/#16 hook when they aren't in the suicidal dawn/dusk flurry where most anything goes

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:56 AM »
I use 3mm a lot, with one spike. Thats a #16 hook on most brands. Crappies will slip it, hungry gills will swallow it, so be careful on both accounts. Fiska makes a 2.5mm with a #20 hook i believe.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:43 AM »
Look for a Hali Timantti jig

so small it can catch a minnow for you
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:56 PM »
"Go big AND go home" (empty) is what happens if I don't (sometimes) downsize. I start at a #10 and will go down to #16 until I get the bite. If they are sharp , even the little jigs/flies will hold a fish. And no more than 3# test line....fluoro as my main line (jigs) and mono for dropper lines (flies)...works for me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:47 AM »
i've made some jigs on size 18 hooks. just wrapped a couple turns of lead wire around the hook and then painted it with nail polish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.