Author Topic: Still some ice at Merritt  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still some ice at Merritt
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:55 PM »
  Some folks are still fishing from the Beeds Landing boat ramp area at Merritt. Recent chilly temperatures have helped firm up the ice for the time being. Reports of around 4" out from the ramp with a bit more ice towards the middle came to us. Other areas of the lake I have no reports on but would consider them unsafe until proven otherwise.

The ice at Beeds would fall into the category of late ice so due caution is advised. Spud bars, ice picks, throwable cushion and rope, etc. should go with you on the ice. There has been a crappie bite early and late in the day. If you have not yet moth balled the ice gear then consider heading to Merritt.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
Re: Still some ice at Merritt
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your reports this winter and keeping us all abreast of the conditions.  I regret that I was not able to get away to come that way more, but maybe during the time that the H2O becomes the liquid state, I will be able to get away.  It looks like the forecast calls for two warm days starting tomorrow but turning cold for several days after that.  Hopefully the warm days don't do too much deteriation.  It is hard for ice to rebuild unless we have a sustained cold snap. Anyway, thanks again and Happy Trails to everyone !  D. Hutt

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Those fishing from Beeds Landing on Boardman Creek at Merritt reported around 4 inches of ice next to the bank at the ramp. Out over the channel in 25-35 FOW there were 9-10 inches of hard ice.  Those fishing reported catching crappies to 14" and a few large catfish.  The crappies were often suspended 15 feet down over 30 FOW.  We should have fishable ice in Boardman creek for the foreseeable future.

Other arms of the lake will see improving ice given the forecast.  4" was reported in the Powderhorn arm with some bass and pike action on tip-ups.  No  recentreports from the Snake arm.  Use especial caution on the Snake, Powderhorn , and main lake areas.  We are in late ice conditions so all precautions should be excercised for a safe and fun trip to the lake.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:24 AM »
It sounds like things have improved quite a bit ice wise up here. Consistently cold temps without snow since the weekend can only make things better and the 10 day forecast has most lows in the teens to single digits. The late ice bite at Merritt is coming around nicely. Don't put away your ice tackle yet.

I don't have any direct reports from the refuge. I called the office line (402 376-1889) and got a fishing report dated Feb. 20th. At that time the lakes must have been in the process of refreezing. Ice depths were reported at 0"-3" with patches of open water. I'm sure conditions have improved in the last 6 days but I can't say how much. Anyone been on the refuge over the weekend?

I've heard the bite can be tough after a refreeze due to waters mixing. If the refuge is fishing tough give Merritt a try.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Will be seeing you tomorrow, I need some real ice therapy.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Thanks for stopping by!  How was the fishing?

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:58 AM »
As I suspected, cold temps have firmed up some ice on other parts of the lake.  Travel in other areas, including upper reaches of the Snake arm (near & west of Lord Flats) require great caution.  Some of these areas only recently skimmed over!

Some very nice crappies are being taken.

Offline medic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Fished up there Thursday and there was 6-7 inches and it was making ice quick.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Thanks for the ice report.  How was fishing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.