Author Topic: Going lite what's your best advise on doing so??  (Read 4214 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Going lite what's your best advise on doing so??
« on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:29 PM »
I have tried every thing to fit my flasher in to every thing for travel  from buckets to glide lite sleds from strike master. To one man shanties from frabil.. to bad I can pick and say this is the perfect item to use from ice travel by foot.. I bring this up cause..  I recently injured my back must be why iam thinking about it .. trying to pull the gear I used to is going to be insane for me to do.. a 60 pound hub shanty two heaters a 15 lb tank etc is going to be insane by foot.  TrYing to minimize gear thinking I will use my frabill recon one man for ice fishing from now on??  still trying to pack light is problem  the sled it's self weights 37 pounds about 50 pounds with seat I use a bass boat style seat .. on metal frame with auger, spud ,flasher ,tip ups , rods,tackle and batteries along with the green propane cylinders for the heater I got your looking at around 150 pounds for every thing adding a longer rope is next srep but is their any better suggestions for going lite like a bucket and flasher and jigs? Some rods and s sear cushion etc.. looking for any new ideas on going ultra lite that you can give by the way will be run and gun perch fishing..

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Going lite what's your best advise on doing so??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:06 PM »
The lightest way to go that I've found is a trapper's basket with the flasher, jig boxes, tip ups, bait, and carrying an auger.  The thing that sucks about this idea is if you're carrying a power auger, makes for tired arms sooner than later.  If you're using a hand cranker it's not too bad.  One other thing that might help you out a lot is to make a Smitty Sled and put your sled on that.  The skis have far less surface area which causes a lot less resistance than dragging your sled especially as the snow gets deeper.  One thing that I've done that helps the drag is to use a deer drag, it's straps that go on like a vest and buckle together.  With that you can lean forward and you end up pulling with your legs more than your arms and back.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:19 PM »
If you pick your day just right...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sB8Pps5xvno

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:33 PM »
If you pick your day just right...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sB8Pps5xvno

<°)))>{

Yup the old fishing sail was out in front of erie metro park on a night the ice was popping and cracking glare ice we had to sit in shanty so it would not blow away.. 

any how there's not much snow cause of the wind on Erie ever notice that?? Most of it gets blown to Canada and new york.. as lake effect snow.. lol's  that was out in front of the Fermi towers fishing for walleye lol's one year we walked out to find a chunk broke off and was moving away from shore light wind west you could see it slowly spreading the gape between the two ice.. that's when I turned around and headed for shore took a few cause I had to talk my brother in to heading for shore if I recall he wanted to stay and fish..  but I knew better.. that was my older brother.. next day we found out 45 ice fishermen were trapped on probably same ice float we were on day before.. that was in the 80's when cell phones were non existence..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:37 PM »
The lightest way to go that I've found is a trapper's basket with the flasher, jig boxes, tip ups, bait, and carrying an auger.  The thing that sucks about this idea is if you're carrying a power auger, makes for tired arms sooner than later.  If you're using a hand cranker it's not too bad.  One other thing that might help you out a lot is to make a Smitty Sled and put your sled on that.  The skis have far less surface area which causes a lot less resistance than dragging your sled especially as the snow gets deeper.  One thing that I've done that helps the drag is to use a deer drag, it's straps that go on like a vest and buckle together.  With that you can lean forward and you end up pulling with your legs more than your arms and back.

I am looking in to a bucket back pack but will see what this thread digs up.. hopefully will come up with some kinda of contraption no one has seen before to get the job done.. lol's

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2017, 03:38 AM »
The Clam Ice Sled Tow Harness worked great for me last year.  It distributes the weight of the sled across your entire back from your waist to shoulders and leaves your hands free.  I need new hips and it really helped me.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2017, 08:09 AM »
bring only what you need for that days fishing,ive got rheumatoid and psoaratic arthritis everywhere.i was shocked on how much lighter my gear got when I left the kitchen sink and gear I never used at home.if its going to be somewhat warm leave the heater/fuel home.if I'm not fishing pike that day tipups and 8 inch auger stay home.bring a good selection of jigs and 2 jig poles but not 3 or 4 boxes and 6 combos.lol.i pull my fx100,flasher,auger and some jigs/bait.my setup is so much lighter than when I was younger.if I bring my hub I still just bring gear that im going to use that day only.and that clam sled tow harness is a good idea too.or a deer drag harness.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:25 PM »
what about attaching a pair of downhill skis to your shanty. it will glide over anything with ease. it would work well if you have a trailer to carry it in. even when i'm not taking my snowmobile or 4 wheeler i like to put my shanty on a trailer, just for ease of taking it in and out so i don't have to lift it in and out of my truck.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:52 PM »
150lbs!?!??? Do you want a sled thats lighter to lift into and out of the vehicle or feels lighter to pull? A longer rope with a smitty or even hyfax makes a wold of difference in how heavy it feels to pull on the ice. Pulling in snow is always going to be terrible if you have a bad back. I'm 99% sure my fully loaded 1 man is much less than 150lbs

If you want an easier load/unload on the vehicle end what about trying some ramps or even ramps+winch

Catchin' Fish

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2017, 02:20 PM »
150lbs!?!??? Do you want a sled thats lighter to lift into and out of the vehicle or feels lighter to pull? A longer rope with a smitty or even hyfax makes a wold of difference in how heavy it feels to pull on the ice. Pulling in snow is always going to be terrible if you have a bad back. I'm 99% sure my fully loaded 1 man is much less than 150lbs

If you want an easier load/unload on the vehicle end what about trying some ramps or even ramps+winch

I can get to 150 lbs in the blink of an eye.  This is actually what MY stuff weighs within a pound or so.  This is not counting my Jaw Jackers, spud bar or my camera or any extra chairs or gear, etc.  This is ME packing light.   :whistle:

Polar Bird 3T & Floor -         43 #
Otter Pro Medium Sled -      32
Marcum LX7 -                      14
K-Drill/Plate/Drill -                 9
Portable Buddy/Propane -  14  (two full 1 lb. bottles of propane)
Fishing Chair -                    10
Water/Minnows/Bait -        10
Rods/Reels/TipUps/Misc -   10       
Food/Water/Beer ;D            8  (and I'm not leaving the beer at home!) :woot:
                                        -----
                                         150#
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2017, 04:24 PM »

When it's nice out I have a med jet sled with a rack that holds 3 buckets , 1 for graph , 1 for bait bucket, tackle bag sits in the front  , 4 rod holders on back , auger fits on top of the buckets , pulls easy
  When I walk out with my one man shack I use a smitty

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2017, 04:51 PM »
bring only what you need for that days fishing,ive got rheumatoid and psoaratic arthritis everywhere.i was shocked on how much lighter my gear got when I left the kitchen sink and gear I never used at home.if its going to be somewhat warm leave the heater/fuel home.if I'm not fishing pike that day tipups and 8 inch auger stay home.bring a good selection of jigs and 2 jig poles but not 3 or 4 boxes and 6 combos.lol.i pull my fx100,flasher,auger and some jigs/bait.my setup is so much lighter than when I was younger.if I bring my hub I still just bring gear that im going to use that day only.and that clam sled tow harness is a good idea too.or a deer drag harness.

That's exactly my problem I bring the kitchen sink like a boy scout be prepared for the worst.. I bring heaters chairs and gear for friends etc it about time they carry it out and back lol's I think I need some thing different to carry my gear out..  I have used buckets for years till I got the flasher/fish finder that's when I needed bigger sleds etc .. it's nice having the flasher but it takes up a ton of room if you ask me plus batteries to keep you going all day... 

to bad there nothing out there like the strike master glide lite like more versions of it?? closes thing I could come up with was a lantren box for ice fishing..

that  is making  think of new designs  but it tuff with out being able to blow mold items..  etc.. welding and wood working not a problem but metal and wood weights a ton.. thinking a emt tubing smidty type sled. That I am able to sit on and fish from.. rgfixit had a good idea for a a sled he made I want to try it hopefully its light to lift when I am done.. will get a picture of rgfixits sled in a few..show you what I am talking about??

I want to be able to straddle it  for a seat and fish from it and have the flasher and heater mounted to front like a lantren box.. was thinking about the padded trunks from frabill and adding emt/skis to it and a lantren box or some thing similar.. to keep my fingers warm wile fishing..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2017, 04:58 PM »
I was the same way. bring gear and stuff that my buds might need but I realized no one did it for me.. so everybody pulls/brings their own stuff now.no more hauling extra gear that I dont use.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2017, 05:04 PM »
I was the same way. bring gear and stuff that my buds might need but I realized no one did it for me.. so everybody pulls/brings their own stuff now.no more hauling extra gear that I dont use.

That's whats happening from now on..

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2017, 10:07 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293004.0

When its really cold i drag that recon 1/8 mile to and from my pond with a 150' elevation gain. Ill have to weigh it tomorrow

Catchin' Fish

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2017, 11:01 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293004.0

When its really cold i drag that recon 1/8 mile to and from my pond with a 150' elevation gain. Ill have to weigh it tomorrow

The recon I have with seat and frame weights about 75 to 80 pounds fully loaded that's why I prefer dragging that...  over dragging my double hub shanty in my large soroc sports sled that weights over 150 pounds with two big buddy heaters and a 15 pound propane tank or two chairs etc and ya I have dragged that about 1/8 mile in deep snow up hill none the less..  you are right it is not bad to drag thd recon  just more worried it is going to be tougher with a bad disk in my back.. any how just looking at what light alternative people have would be nice seeing a few versions of the glide lite sleds.. but no one makes any thing similar..

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2017, 07:37 AM »

Yep always bring stuff for others....and I have a problem not bringing everything I own out ...so I can feel your pain . A Smitty sled does wonders ...on your Recon you could remove the chair and figure out a lighter seating option ...a longer rope and harness will help . The only other idea would be to get a large jet sled ...and use that on days when a shelter isn't needed ...jet sled tends to glide so much better then any other sleds over most conditions. I have a Striker Ice Transporter bag ...has back straps..holds 5 rods ...4 large pockets for utility boxes..and large center pouch storage area for electronic ..extra gear...lunch.. that may be and option to get some weight out of your sled.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2017, 07:44 PM »

I lightened up 2 seasons ago . I plan the night before for exactly what type of fishing I'm gonna do the next day.
I bought a rover 1.0 , k-drill (no plate) small Buddy heater (full)
1 bugg luggage box , snacks , bait & lx-7 .
I keep some extras in the truck , but this helped me a lot as
I was towing 150 plus & that won't work anymore . I did purchase a bigger jet sled & mounted new
Frabill box seat to it for really calm days . Good luck

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2017, 12:02 AM »
I did purchase a bigger jet sled & mounted new
Frabill box seat to it for really calm days . Good luck

Thinking same thing..  just trying to debate weather I want to use my olive deer drag sled for it?? or go and by a deeper small jet sled decesions decisions.. the deer drag sled track is smaller as in easier to pull .. but the sides are shallow so thier pluses and minuses to all...  also thinking of ripping out my padded boat seat and using the frabil padded  trunk..  swap that between the sled and shanty and let every one else bring their own stuff.. I got to figure how big it is .. hopefully will fit?? Will see..

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2017, 05:11 AM »
Holy smokes, what kinda flasher do you have??? Ok, first off, get rid of the 15 lb'er. A little buddy with a 1# cylinder will do just fine and is about 13 lbs lighter and takes up way less space. Does your sled have a seat? Is the boat seat heavy? If so, figure out a replacement. Some of those seats are pretty light so I don't know if it's important. Take your own gear out, every man for himself. It's nice to bring a small cooker and maybe some sausages for some buddies and a six pack if slushies are a favorite.  Down size the tackle box if you have to, I use a small tackle bag and I end up bringing more than I'll use in several years of fishing.

Pretty much, if it's big, get a smaller one. If you don't use it, don't bring it. And most of all, build a smitty.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Thinking same thing..  just trying to debate weather I want to use my olive deer drag sled for it?? or go and by a deeper small jet sled decesions decisions.. the deer drag sled track is smaller as in easier to pull .. but the sides are shallow so thier pluses and minuses to all...  also thinking of ripping out my padded boat seat and using the frabil padded  trunk..  swap that between the sled and shanty and let every one else bring their own stuff.. I got to figure how big it is .. hopefully will fit?? Will see..
I went with the wider & shorter jet sled so when I'm towing it my auger stays put in it .
The other plus I can fit it into the bed of my truck with my shanty also or fit it into back of wife's SUV . I added upright  rod storage to back of tote

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2017, 09:32 PM »
. I added upright  rod storage to back of tote

Thanks for that tid bit of info! was wondering if my rods would fit the trunk guess not. That trunk look ls like what I want that and  Or a jet sled.. any how thanks for all the input every one!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2017, 08:25 AM »

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by the deer drag.  The deer drag I'm talking about is a harness that you wear, it's made out of webbing, it buckles on your chest and waist, and costs between $10 and $20 depending on where you get it.  Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Dual-Harness-Blaze-Orange/dp/B000LC2K2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505568061&sr=8-4&keywords=deer+drag+harness

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2017, 10:13 AM »
The best thing I ever did was sell my Jiffy gas powered auger and bought a Nils hand auger.
Much lighter no gas no lugging around that heavy auger.

smitty :tipup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2017, 10:17 AM »
I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by the deer drag.  The deer drag I'm talking about is a harness that you wear, it's made out of webbing, it buckles on your chest and waist, and costs between $10 and $20 depending on where you get it.  Here's a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Dual-Harness-Blaze-Orange/dp/B000LC2K2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505568061&sr=8-4&keywords=deer+drag+harness

I just used/adapted a spare tree stand harness .. cut off what doesn't apply  ...must of had two or three laying around other then my preferred Summit harness.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2017, 05:48 PM »

Oh I know about that harness I am glad you broght it up.. I got to get another..  I got a olive deer drag sled  I think is to shallow for hauling gear but has a narrow track on it that make for easier dragging threw snow.. thanks for the input that is another item I got to try..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2017, 05:50 PM »
The best thing I ever did was sell my Jiffy gas powered auger and bought a Nils hand auger.
Much lighter no gas no lugging around that heavy auger.

smitty :tipup:

Already have a nils it is the 6 man shanty that kills ya and the heaters for it..

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:50 AM »
The first thing I would do is ditch the gas auger for a drill setup w/out clam plate. My jiffy is 30#  vs my ridgid setup of 10#. If funds allow get a lithium battery for the flasher. That's another 5-7#. I don't know if having a flip over is a deal breaker but and Eskimo 3 and Rapala sled is 23# & 6# vs  50#.  If  a flip is necessary  ditch the chair  and use a bucket or a small folding chair. Good luck lightening the load

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.