Author Topic: artificial reefs for jigging  (Read 2642 times)

Offline under-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
artificial reefs for jigging
« on: Sep 19, 2008, 11:56 PM »
hey guys,
i was wondering if anyone had made some of there own artificial reefs?
i was thinking of making some out of PVC pipe or 2x4's.  i was going to trow some out where im going to put my shanty this year.
i dont know if i should nail some 2x4's in an X shape or make some squares or somthing.
or does anyone else have an idea on how to make them? or does anyone have any reason why this would not work?
lemme hear your opinions and ideas please.
thank you
Mitch

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: artificial reefs for jigging
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2008, 01:14 AM »
Under-Ice,
  There are artificial weeds you can purchase for icefishing ( drill hole(s) suspend remove after fishing . I have never tried them so can not say how well they work.
     Before making and placing (submerging) any permanent reef checkyour state regulations as to the legality of doing such a thing.

Steve

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I have seen what are called cribs.  They take for pallets and screw nail or whatever together in a box shape and then drop them in but that is done on the ice.  Now you could drop a few pieces of pvc like the bill dance ball in and maybe they would work.
<br />

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2008, 07:27 PM »
ive only used them one time and they didnt have n e effect for us...idk it was kind of a hit and miss kind of lake but idk ive heard other ppl say they love to use them cuz they work soo good so i dont know what to think of them...

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2008, 07:36 PM »
im pretty sure permanent pvc structure would fall under the littering laws and would be illegal in any state unless its your own land. 

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2008, 07:40 PM »
ive heard of people tying three or four discarded natural christmas trees together and tying it off to a large rock as an anchor.  still check your regs i doubt the dnr would let just anyone toss in structure.

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2008, 07:47 PM »
one of the lakes i fish at in my hometown is a man made lake which was made when they built the gavins point dam here in south dakota they let ppl throw their xmas trees on the lake in certain places so when the ice melts it makes structure but they havent been doing it for a few years so they must have enough structure but theres always atleast 1 or 2 every year right at the end of the year before the ice goes out i dont think it hurts n e thing with trees those are the best spots to fish at as long as u dont get snagged....then here in the town that im going to school at which is the same town as stumper theres a spot thats 20 feet deep and has big huge tire piles/random tires all over in the little area and we caught sooooooo many bluegills and crappie there...but yeah check with the local regulations...building structure for fish isnt always a bad thing...

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2008, 08:12 PM »
its always a good thing as long as you use the right material.  having the edge of knowing where the fish are is always nice too.

Offline under-ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2008, 10:39 PM »
its always a good thing as long as you use the right material.  having the edge of knowing where the fish are is always nice too.

so do you think i should make some from 2x4's or PVC piping?
and what is a bill dance ball?

thanks for the replys guys
Mitch

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2008, 05:36 PM »
call your local dnr office and ask what they would do.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2008, 02:34 PM »
2x4s and Christmas trees rot and will eventually become part of the bottom . They also float so your going to need to anchor them with plenty of concrete or one windy day you will find them on the shore . Dont ask how i know that one :embarassed:

Id go with the PVC , it lasts forever and there easy to boat out and throw in .They dont have any buoyancy either so it dont take much weight to keep them in one spot .

heres a link or make your own

http://www.porcupinefishattractor.com/fishing_tips.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.