Author Topic: Clam Plate wobble, play in shaft  (Read 5172 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Plate wobble, play in shaft
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:58 AM »
Here is a video of my wobble:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XnidUZq2Kan7YOAjMiLNP02vhjAB13JZ/view?usp=sharing

I've never used the plate on ice yet as last winter we didn't have much here in Ohio.  I've got a 6 inch Clam auger and am using the Clam extension too.

Monticatgeek, let me know what you think.  I'm sure it will work, but just wondering everyone's thoughts.

That's not wobble, that's slop.  Should be OK.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:32 AM »
ice scratcher,
Its got the same action:  wobble or slop (however its defined) with or without the extension.  I wonder if I'll be able to drill a hole straight, but I'll give it a whirl hopefully soon....lol

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Might be slightly off topic...or maybe not... 

I just picked up a clam plate a few weeks ago to use as a pan fish set up. I have a 7" Lazer which I could use on the plate but since they have more aggressive blades I was a bit hesitant to do so....so I picked up a 6" Eskimo with flat blades and oddly enough the fit was more snug than the Lazer. The Lazer has a little bit of slop to it, the Eskimo does not. No slop, less aggressive blades, less ice volume...my drill should be happier.
I’ve been running my setup (gen 2 I think, chuck removed) with a M18 drill with a 7” lazer for two seasons now and have had zero problems. It does catch on the bottom of the ice as it breaks through if your not use to using it; but that’s easily fixed by not pushing down on it while drilling, instead I actually gently lift up while drilling. Once you try it you’ll see what I mean, the lazer actually pulls itself through the ice once it gets going.
Mine has a bit of that wobble too, but just like others have said, once you have the auger on the ice, go easy on the trigger as you get started and you won’t notice it. As always, make sure you have good blades.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Exactly on topic.. Because..

The extension used in the video posted by the op, was probably made to fit into a tolerance, which would be to fit the dimensions of the biggest, not necessarily the smallest.. So some instances quite a bit of play can occur when the other expected parts are on the extreme other end of the tolerance..

<°)))>{

Makes sense...this was without an extension. I wasn’t concerned about the slop the lazer had, I was just a bit surprised at how snug the Eskimo was compared to the lazer. Either one will work fine....maybe my lazer is just sloppy to begin with where others are not. Just wanted to put it out there if folks were looking at this thread wondering if an Eskimo would work. You don’t “need” a $90 lazer when a $40 Eskimo will do the trick.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:00 PM »
I havd used my clam plate 3 yrs now even in s dakota 2+ feet of ice. The first year i noticed mine wobbled. I called clam they replaced the shaft worked good for awhile then started wobbling again. I will tell you this  it works ok when you put it on the ice. I come from a machinist back ground. Its very hard to keep something with this set up true specially cutting a 6 inch hole on ice. The only issue you will ever have from wobble is you may break a blade drilling thru a foot of ice or more. So that being said keep xtra set of blades in tackle box. I use a 6 inch strikemaster lazer and a 8 inch strikemaster original on my plate and its prob pushing 1000 holes.

Offline Sophanra

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:16 PM »
I just bought my clam auger plate and it wobbles big time without the extension. I'm afraid to use it that how much it wobbles. So I'm planning on returning it and getting my money back this thing is horrible.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:25 PM »
I just bought my clam auger plate and it wobbles big time without the extension. I'm afraid to use it that how much it wobbles. So I'm planning on returning it and getting my money back this thing is horrible.

It's always an interesting ride with clam.....start out with a solid product, then change it and cut has many corners possible to make them one more dime.........end up with a crappy product.....sad the clam plate is a great product, just the quality control sucks........guess a guy should expect it after the gear box debacle.

Offline Sophanra

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:19 PM »
So i tried to give the benefit of the doubt and gave it a shot on the ice hoping it might be better. Im using a 6" auger and the damn thing wobbles so much i ended up cutting a 8" hole with the 6" auger. This thing is very dangerous. Im getting my money back and sticking to old skool way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.