Author Topic: Bibs and Parka  (Read 2634 times)

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
Bibs and Parka
« on: Dec 11, 2022, 09:23 AM »
I have a nearly new Carhart Artic coat and bibs but think the floatation feature might be nice. Would either the floatation  bibs or coat alone keep someone afloat? Someone mentioned a life jacket but that would be bulky. Any other ideas?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Bibs and Parka
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Bibs first ...as you will always wear the bibs ...most folks just wear a good hoodie for the top outer layer most days ...the parka get use on windy/brutal days .

hard to beat this ..100g insulation ...but if you tend to get cold or fish in a really cold area going to 150g of insulation is a good idea

https://icerunnerhouses.com/float-suit/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:18 AM »
That looks like a great price on this clothing. Is there a test or industry standard to verify the buoyancy of this type of clothing?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2022, 10:23 AM »
That looks like a great price on this clothing. Is there a test or industry standard to verify the buoyancy of this type of clothing?

Not that I am aware of ..YouTube has a lot of product and user videos on most of the makes and model ..sizing seems to be pretty standard for all manufacturers  ...if you can find a retailer local that the best way to know your size/fit ...on line is the best place to buy for a deal the most part .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2022, 06:46 PM »
X2 on getting bibs first. Mine are Rise by Clam. I have no complaints.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2022, 07:31 PM »
I have a nearly new Carhart Artic coat and bibs but think the floatation feature might be nice. Would either the floatation  bibs or coat alone keep someone afloat? Someone mentioned a life jacket but that would be bulky. Any other ideas?

My guess it would be better than nothing but if you break through in water over your head you are going under and then will come to the surface.  Whatever skin is exposed is going to shock your body and begin hypothermia.  If the nonflotation items you are wearing begin to absorb water they get heavier.  None of the float suits are coast guard rated as a life jacket and state that plainly but say the suit as a system will keep you buoyant for up to two hours.   The suits are highly water resistant which is part of the reason they buy you some time.  Even a life preserver is not going to be a cure all for falling in since in about 10 minutes or so you probably will not be able to help yourself.  Also think about where you wear a life jacket, the point is to keep your head above water and bibs are mostly on your bottom half.

Bibs alone would be better than nothing and a complete suit helps but even all that is not going to lift you out of the water.  I wear a Striker coat and bibs when I fish alone and especially at places I haven't been before because the wife feels better about it.  I've never been cold in it and usually have to vent when I exert a lot of effort.  The best thing is not to chance falling in.  The next best thing is to have someone pull you out before you lose the ability to help yourself.  Even when your out if your wet your going to be in hypothermia and need to be warmed quickly. Either way I hope you stay on the right side of the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.