Author Topic: Heated Gear - Whatcha Using?  (Read 6393 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Heated Gear - Whatcha Using?
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Anybody running heated/battery gear? I'm a big Milwaukee guy and have been using their Jacket, hoodie and vest with the M12 battery. Love it so far. Just ordered a pair of their gaunlet gloves wich used their Red Lithium rechargeable batteries and am curios how they'll work on the ATV.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Heated Gear - Whatcha Using?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2019, 09:59 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of ads for heated insoles,  heated vests and heated gloves. I'm just wondering how people who have them feel about them. My hands always get cold. I wear a nice pair of leather mittens and just throw a hand warmer packet inside. But if really be interested in the heated gloves to keep my fingers warm.
jbird68

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2019, 05:40 AM »
Last two years my hands have been getting really painful in the cold. bought a pair of battery powered gloves. Think like $40.00 not very bulky. use them for quick warm ups. use mittens with a warmer pack going out and back.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Last two years my hands have been getting really painful in the cold. bought a pair of battery powered gloves. Think like $40.00 not very bulky. use them for quick warm ups. use mittens with a warmer pack going out and back.
Keep it safe! JDL
how are the gloves as far as putting back on when your hands are wet/damp after taking a fish off or rebaiting a shiner?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2019, 07:56 AM »
I have ridden motorcycles for over 25 years with heated gear. What Milwaukee missed the boat on is the most important feature of any heated clothing. It needs to have heat around the neck. The neck, with it's caryatid arteries is where the highest volume of blood comes the closest to the surface of the skin. When you heat that blood efficiently, your hands will be warmer, your feet will be warmer, it's really amazing. When I first made the jump to heated gear I got a vest, pants and gloves. The vest had incredible heating in the neck. I found that I did not need the gloves or pants at all. I can keep wearing my summer gear and gloves way later into the season which is huge.

The other thing is that to be really efficient, you need the heated gear to fit quite tight, tighter than I'd ever want recreational clothing to be. But for ice fishing I would thin heated gloves make a lot of sense.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I'm thinking of picking up one of those small rechargeable hand warmers. A few guys said they just went to menards and picked up a lithium one and has worked excellent.  Quick google search seems to be a lot of one off models out there.  I've worn a hunting muff before with the zippo hand warmer than burn fluid inside but a battery one seems much simpler.   No more buying disposable handwarmers only to throw them away hours later. 

Battery powered gloves or insoles that are actually reliable interest me for my wife and relatives.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2019, 03:32 AM »
how are the gloves as far as putting back on when your hands are wet/damp after taking a fish off or rebaiting a shiner?
Not bad, but I got them big and usually have a towel hooked to my suit. So with a little damp they go on ok.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Anyone using heated socks? Any recommendations? Heard when they first came out they were burning people. I'm sure they have improved

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:11 AM »
I'm thinking of picking up one of those small rechargeable hand warmers. A few guys said they just went to menards and picked up a lithium one and has worked excellent.  Quick google search seems to be a lot of one off models out there.  I've worn a hunting muff before with the zippo hand warmer than burn fluid inside but a battery one seems much simpler.   No more buying disposable handwarmers only to throw them away hours later. 

Battery powered gloves or insoles that are actually reliable interest me for my wife and relatives.

I got one last year but after ice season was over. Used it duck hunting this year and it was awesome. I highly recommend them and much cheaper to "fill" than the lighter fluid version
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:05 AM »
Just got an ORORO heated vest... will give it a try this season. It does heat up nicely!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Just picked up some battery powered insoles on sale at Amazon for about $55. Hopefully they work as well as the have warmer.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Just popped for a nice pair of heated gloves to try. I have Raynaud's syndrome in my right hand and even the best gloves with heat packs won't keep  circulation in my fingers. It's really painful.

Hopefully these will help me get some ice time in this year.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2019, 06:40 AM »
Lenz socks...

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:22 AM »
I have a snap on heated jacket.

Works well. Wish the battery was larger size but it can be on high for a few hrs. It gets pretty toasty and the hand warmers work real well too.

Ive used it once this season only because it hasnt been cold enough for me to wear it

I can see me using it when I'm hole hopping and standing outside my hub
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:14 PM »
Sharing my experience.

During the Black Friday sales, I bought some ActionHeat 5v heated clothing: Vest, baselayer pants, socks and hand muff.

They already come with 5v Lithium Ion batteries and can use standard 5v power banks that you can buy for cheap at Amazon. Cable connections are standard USB.

I love the vest on low setting.  I don’t really need the baselayer pants because my legs don’t really get cold inside my Stryker Climate bibs. Socks were good and warm but when I got my feet inside new Baffin Impacts, don’t need ‘em anymore.

I think the best purchase was the battery powered hand muff. I usually keep my hands free of gloves coz I’m constantly handling tackle, gear, etc.  so now I can shove my cold hands into the hand muff and voilà… instant warm hands.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.