Author Topic: Wakefield Recreation Tourney  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wakefield Recreation Tourney
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2020, 03:46 PM »
That always happens with a new introduction for a few years, take any place with bucket bio Crappie. Thennnnn it crashes. The newly introduced predator capitalizes on a resource not utilized to the full extent by others and then they get to good at it. That’s where you’re nice fish come from and then banggggg almost overnight crash! Never again
Sounds true. . My lake is the perfect example of that.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2020, 03:48 PM »
That always happens with a new introduction for a few years, take any place with bucket bio Crappie. Thennnnn it crashes. The newly introduced predator capitalizes on a resource not utilized to the full extent by others and then they get to good at it. That’s where you’re nice fish come from and then banggggg almost overnight crash! Never again

There’s actually been studies done to prove this I just can’t find any of the articles. Although I think it had more to do with the bait species being unable to adapt quickly, it’s certainly true of invsives. I feel the bait fish/forage sources evolve to occupy areas where they don’t get eaten in any body of water. Introduce a new predator and it takes time for the food to react to the new pressure.

Regardless it definitely can have a horrible effect on the local ecosystem as you mentioned. Think about what introducing lakers had done to some prized LLS waters....

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2020, 04:13 PM »
Oh yes, I’m well aware of how those things work and how short of a window we have to capitalize on the situation while it lasts.  That’s why my hardside has been out there two years in a row, it’s feast or famine and right now we are bursting at the seams!

I hear ya, I know where you’re at, couple good Crappie Years there too
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I hear ya, I know where you’re at, couple good Crappie Years there too

That’s right, you gotta get after it while the get’ns good.  That goes for life and fishing!

And about those walleye, I’m in the opinion that they are just like Bigfoot.  Everyone seems to think they exist but in this day and age where EVERYONE has a camera on them they still can’t get a picture!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2020, 04:34 PM »
That’s right, you gotta get after it while the get’ns good.  That goes for life and fishing!

And about those walleye, I’m in the opinion that they are just like Bigfoot.  Everyone seems to think they exist but in this day and age where EVERYONE has a camera on them they still can’t get a picture!

Though I tend to agree, I feel like there would be an ungodly amount of pressure put on them if someone did confirm with a pic.

That and their particular breeding habits kind of make me think they could still be around.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:58 PM »
I hear ya Frank... 2 days into my senior year in high school I lost my patience walked out the door, 2 weeks later I had a GED and a job where I got a real world education, and not even the slightest regret about it. When my buddies were getting out of college they had huge student loans and lived with their parents, I had my own home, money in the bank and a career I enjoy... a big college education is great but it takes a drive to succeed and proper work ethics to get somewhere in this world, without the latter all they have is a pretty piece of paper in a frame. The amount of lazy guys I've thrown out of the shop with their stack of certificates is laughable...

College is overrated but tell that to the computer geeks.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:10 PM »
College is overrated but tell that to the computer geeks.

I'm a software developer and I completely agree.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Though I tend to agree, I feel like there would be an ungodly amount of pressure put on them if someone did confirm with a pic.

That and their particular breeding habits kind of make me think they could still be around.

Not knowing much about their spawning, there were many large fish caught and you'd have thought they would have spawned in that water shed.

Offline waynerob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:13 AM »
 After much consideration and talking to many people other than our commission, we have decided to cancel our derby. To many newbies :'(, inconsistent ice conditions and more warm weather coming. Sorry

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Bummer was hoping it would take place this year. hopefully next year can't say you didn't try good luck.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Not knowing much about their spawning, there were many large fish caught and you'd have thought they would have spawned in that water shed.
Talked to a knowledgeable warden (maybe a biologists?) a handful of years after the last confirmed walleye catch, that I'm aware of in Lovell. Many years ago. They monitored that lake closely after they stocked them. It was determined that natural spawning was not working! That's why they stopped stocking eyes in there.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7Fpndz1efiMAwV1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1581115367/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.aikenslake.com%2fnews%2fa-look-into-the-growth-rates-of-walleye/RK=2/RS=JQImhFBryRz199SXBy6J9SB8j.Q-
"LIFE EXPECTANCY
Typically, your average male walleye will live anywhere between 15-20 years. Female walleyes live significantly longer than males. In fact, if left alone, the average female walleye will live for around 25 years, possibly longer. The oldest recorded walleye was 29 years old, weighed 25 lbs., and was 107 cm (42”) long."
I suppose there could be a rare female left in Lovell, but it would be nearing the end of it's life expectancy.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Good stuff Richard
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:13 PM »
Talked to a knowledgeable warden (maybe a biologists?) a handful of years after the last confirmed walleye catch, that I'm aware of in Lovell. Many years ago. They monitored that lake closely after they stocked them. It was determined that natural spawning was not working! That's why they stopped stocking eyes in there.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7Fpndz1efiMAwV1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1581115367/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.aikenslake.com%2fnews%2fa-look-into-the-growth-rates-of-walleye/RK=2/RS=JQImhFBryRz199SXBy6J9SB8j.Q-
"LIFE EXPECTANCY
Typically, your average male walleye will live anywhere between 15-20 years. Female walleyes live significantly longer than males. In fact, if left alone, the average female walleye will live for around 25 years, possibly longer. The oldest recorded walleye was 29 years old, weighed 25 lbs., and was 107 cm (42”) long."
I suppose there could be a rare female left in Lovell, but it would be nearing the end of it's life expectancy.

I was told they stopped stocking them in there because they were getting them from the feds and the feds said they they weren't native to the lake and refuse to continue the free program. I believe they were introduced into the lake as fingerlings... maybe this story was BS.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:20 PM »

I was told they stopped stocking them in there because they were getting them from the feds and the feds said they they weren't native to the lake and refuse to continue the free program. I believe they were introduced into the lake as fingerlings... maybe this story was BS.
I can't say whether that's true or not. Eyes aren't native anywhere in NH. The CT river eyes are from Lake Champlain. The eyes in NH are self sustaining as far as I know.
The eyes in Lovell seemed to grow fine, they just didn't reproduce at all or enough to maintain any population. There's a lot of factors involved to have suitable conditions and/or water for spawning. Winni and all our big lakes are prime examples with salmon.
Copied this from NHF&G website...
"Life History: Walleye begin moving toward spawning areas in late winter and early spring. In rivers and streams the spawn takes place in flowing water over rocky bottom below dams or impassable falls. In lakes, spawning occurs over rocky shores in depths less than six feet.  Males move into these areas first followed by the females.  Spawning mainly takes place at night and a single female is attended by several smaller males. Fertilized eggs fall into the cracks and crevices and stick to the rocks and debris.
Don't know Lovell intimately, only fished it a handful of times and never targeted eyes. All I'm familiar with over there is sandy bottomed edges. Could be a factor? Could be PH or acid levels? I'm not going to speculate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.