Author Topic: NEW FLIP OVER WHAT DO YOU LIKE  (Read 3787 times)

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
NEW FLIP OVER WHAT DO YOU LIKE
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Looking to get a new 1 man flip over hut this year.. burned a big hole in mine last year!!!!
Which is why I'm posting this..
What type and model.do you like and why?
I am considering the eskimo inferno at the moment.. looks to be a good model for the money

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: NEW FLIP OVER WHAT DO YOU LIKE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:29 PM »
I did a bunch of research on this subject the last few seasons, probably not enough because I bought 3 of them looking for the right one.

From what I've seen of the Eskimos, owning a hub myself and fishing in (and helping assembly a buddies Sierra thermal), they seem to be a good product, and priced right.

I can give a rundown on the ones I've had:

Frabill Recon - I bought this used, older model, and used the heck out of it. Very lightweight, removable windows, good sled, steel round tubing. Not insulated, which I why I sold it looking for an upgrade. It's also very narrow, was like fishing in a closet, had to use shorter rods due to the close front and low height. Has a couple nice storage pockets on each side. I looked at newer Frabill flip overs, and briefly owned a 2 man Aegis, which had a lot of quality issues. Zero customer service, I gave up on Frabill.

Otter Hideout - Nice material and hardware, square tubing, heavy duty sled. A little on the heavy side, and expensive. Sewn in windows, front door, width is pretty good, lots of room to fish, has a nice big storage pocket and molded in trays on each side of the seat. End of the sled has a goofy shape, allows the fabric frame to have some extra width, but makes it hard to get a handle on the sled to lift it up to load/unload. Sled has just barely enough room to haul out gear. Seat is comfortable but wobbles terribly and adds a lot of extra weight. Mine was so bad I got in touch with Otter and they sent a new seat kit, great customer service, but this one wobbled worse.

Clam Blazer - No frills, no seat but has a bracket for your bucket, very lightweight. Huge sled for a one man, 60"long. Width is decent, sled is not very tall, sewn in windows, front door, aluminum tube frame. Lots of room out front to fish. I have the insulated version, material seems pretty tough, will black out 100% of light if you want it to for sight fishing. Storage pockets on each side, plus a cargo net up above. No back window. I like this shelter because at 40lbs, I can load it with gear and lift it in and out of my SUV without unpacking, I could do this with the Recon as well.

I looked at that Eskimo Inferno, but for me since I walk, sometimes a good distance, I wanted as lightweight as I could get. If weight wasn't an issue I think Id be looking at that Eskimo Wide Inferno, the Clam Scout XL, and if I had the $$ to spend, the Clam Legend.

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:43 PM »
I ALSO HAD A FRABILL RECON AND WAS GOOD AT FIRST,BUT AS I HAD SOME ISSUES IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO ANY ANSWERS FROM THEM AND GAVE UP AND SOLD IT . Ihave to say that I do miss it even if it was an older unit,still looking at other units one man.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Well I just finally ordered my 1 man and I ordered the hideout as I’m looking for the lightest and warmest with the most fishable space oh yea and durable. Those three requirements and the fact that my pro cabin from otter withstood a 60mph tumble off the bed rails of my truck led me there. It’s only like 4 lbs heavier then the frabil sentinel (sentinel) uninsulated and only like 10lbs heavier then the lightest flip on the market. Can’t beat there quality. My 2sense
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:40 PM »
I bought the Wide 1 Inferno last year and really like it when I want to be mobile.  I didn't put the seat system in it as it takes up space and adds weight, just sit on a bucket. No issues with it using it hard last year and heats up easily with a small heater.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I bought the Wide 1 Inferno last year and really like it when I want to be mobile.  I didn't put the seat system in it as it takes up space and adds weight, just sit on a bucket. No issues with it using it hard last year and heats up easily with a small heater.

is that the hybrid flip thing?
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:01 PM »
The hybrid hut is the EVO, the wide one is a one man flip.

Offline Kevtj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Does anyone know where you can go to see the hideout in person?  I asked at Scheels, they said they don't carry them (even thought they sell Otter products).  Cabelas and Fleet Farm also appear to be a no go. 

Chute82

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Thorne Brother carry them, not sure where you are located... otter does have a dealer locator

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/dealers/

Offline Kevtj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Sorry, minor detail.  Eau Claire  WI area.  It seems though that many don't carry that particular model for some reason.  I will be in White Bear Lake soon for a meeting so Thorne Brothers will work fine.  Thanks.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Does anyone know where you can go to see the hideout in person?  I asked at Scheels, they said they don't carry them (even thought they sell Otter products).  Cabelas and Fleet Farm also appear to be a no go.
I think the answer for this question is they sell them out to fast. Last year runnings here in western ny said they had some coming never saw them asked a manager and he told me sold out for the season. Otter this year told me they were completely sold out at time and did not know when they were starting production. This was in early mid sept when I talked to them. Ordered mine at franks great outdoors the day after I was told about them having them in stock and a sale going. They had 14 in stock 8 were already on lay a way by that time. I wanted to sit in one b4 spending 500 on one but couldn’t find it, hope it’s as thought and nice as my pro cabin.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Otter cottage would be my go to if money were no object, that being said I have a shappel fx100 for a one man that only gets used if I have to drag by hand when the ice is too thin for the otter lodge and quad. Best thing to do is find out what your needs really are. I know a lot of guys are fans of one man shacks, I thought I would be but I like having plenty of room to haul my gear.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:43 PM »
That otter hideout is a tad out of my price range.. we dont get enough ice long enough for me to spend that.. but amazon does has 4 in stock at the moment

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I do like frabils RECRUIT but it Sounds like frabils customer service has gone downhill.. so I'm really leaning towards the INFERNO now more so than before..

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:41 AM »
 My bud has a Eskimo wide 1 and really likes it , tub and fabric seem to be very durable , I have a clam stealth and had a clam one with the thermal quilt fabric , the tubs could be made a little thicker ,I put otter runners on to save from wear  , , quilt is warmer and does not have a inside frosting problem , the stealths fabric is very durable , but does frost up some and doesn’t hold the heat as well as the quilt , I do like the height of the seats so that I sit up , easier on the back
   Well far as all of them the otter hide stands out for quality but pricey , can’t speak for any frabills None of my buds own any

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2019, 12:28 PM »
That otter hideout is a tad out of my price range.. we dont get enough ice long enough for me to spend that.. but amazon does has 4 in stock at the moment
Well if you don’t order the hideout from amazon and order it from otter it’s 275$ less. I was told the price I’m going to wind up paying for mine and with shipping it’s just a little over 500$ total and I get the cover lights and a few other things I don’t remember. So if your like me and want quality and affordability do some shopping.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Well if you don’t order the hideout from amazon and order it from otter it’s 275$ less. I was told the price I’m going to wind up paying for mine and with shipping it’s just a little over 500$ total and I get the cover lights and a few other things I don’t remember. So if your like me and want quality and affordability do some shopping.

I waited until late in the season (late February) and got my Hideout for $380 through Marine General. I think they were trying to clear out all the ice gear before spring. There are deals out there if you are willing to wait and keep checking for sales.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Otters website has them at $499
A $225 savings thanks for pointing that out.. I honestly didnt look at their site.... however... $500 is still out of what I want to spend on a hut. 
Appreciate all the input here for sure!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I do like frabils RECRUIT but it Sounds like frabils customer service has gone downhill.. so I'm really leaning towards the INFERNO now more so than before..

I've never had any issues with Frabill customer service....they've been great when I've dealt with them

I had a Recon for a long time https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293004.0 Didn't post pictures but I widened mine about 2.5" to get some more shoulder room. Only reason I got rid of it was the smoking deal they had on recruits a while back for $200 something shipped. Recruit has a ton of room and is still very light and easy to get around.
Recons are on sale for 155 shipped right now https://icefishingdeals.com/2019/11/01/frabill-recon-100-flipover-1-man-155-shipped/

I've fished out of a Hideout....not for me, cottage would be nice though. If I didn't have my Recruit I'd be fishing out of an Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno or Sierra Thermal

Catchin' Fish

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2019, 07:55 AM »
I've never had any issues with Frabill customer service....they've been great when I've dealt with them

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I had a Recon for a long time https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293004.0 Didn't post pictures but I widened mine about 2.5" to get some more shoulder room. Only reason I got rid of it was the smoking deal they had on recruits a while back for $200 something shipped. Recruit has a ton of room and is still very light and easy to get around.
Recons are on sale for 155 shipped right now https://icefishingdeals.com/2019/11/01/frabill-recon-100-flipover-1-man-155-shipped/

I've fished out of a Hideout....not for me, cottage would be nice though. If I didn't have my Recruit I'd be fishing out of an Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno or Sierra Thermal
I got my recruit last spring  through the best ice deals thread, first thing I did was paint the inside of the tub white as you did, I paid 176 bucks  and I'm thinking about ditching the boat seat and using a folding chair

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Before you commit to a one-person hut verify it will fit all your gear. I bring a lot and need a 2-person.  Also if you man haul your gear, weight will be a huge issue.   Good luck.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2019, 01:50 PM »
When I'm hauling my 1 man hut I make sure I'm not over packing and I get it all in my sled so space isnt an issue

Offline coldwillie11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:40 PM »
Love my otter cottage, removed the bench seat and #25 of steel support and added aluminum angles and a swivel boat seat, saved me #20. Love the thermal and extra space over the smaller 1 man. After many trips thru lots of snow cover last year I just got a pair of skis and going to make a sled to make pulling easier this year.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Love my otter cottage, removed the bench seat and #25 of steel support and added aluminum angles and a swivel boat seat, saved me #20. Love the thermal and extra space over the smaller 1 man. After many trips thru lots of snow cover last year I just got a pair of skis and going to make a sled to make pulling easier this year.

+1, if looking for a 1 man, get a 2 man, the little extra room is nice, I have the Eskimo Sierra thermal and can't see how two adults would be comfortable in it, but it's perfect when fishing alone.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:54 PM »
Otter cottage would be my go to if money were no object, that being said I have a shappel fx100 for a one man that only gets used if I have to drag by hand when the ice is too thin for the otter lodge and quad. Best thing to do is find out what your needs really are. I know a lot of guys are fans of one man shacks, I thought I would be but I like having plenty of room to haul my gear.

I picked up my Hideout last year at Frank's Great Outdoors as part of their annual Ice Shanty Days event.  The two hour drive was still worth it.

I like the room of the Hideout.  It's heavy, but I'm able to lift one edge of it onto my older, small pickup truck's tailgate and then push it up and in.  Not sure if I'd have an issue getting it started onto a taller, full size pickup as it would be more vertical.  I didn't think that I'd need a Smitty sled, but I ended up using one all the time since I pull the Hideout myself and don't have a snowmobile.  Pulling the tub and walking a mile or two through snow without skis isn't fun, and sliding it onto and off of the Smitty sled is actually very easy when you use your leg to keep the Smitty sled from sliding.  Using bungees on hooks keep the one-man from sliding off the sled.

I added an LED light that I ty-wrapped in permanently, and it has an inline on/off switch.  All that I do is use one of my 18v Milwaukee batteries with my 12v adapter to power the light when I need it.  The only thing that I do NOT like about my hideout is that the flip-over front fabric does not always rest on the ground.  If I have snow to quickly toss on it on the outside, it's fine.  With a stiff wind on clear ice, it can get breezy and I have to weigh down the front, u-shaped poles that should be resting on the ice but can end up a couple of inches above the ice with air blowing inside.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:21 PM »
+1, if looking for a 1 man, get a 2 man, the little extra room is nice, I have the Eskimo Sierra thermal and can't see how two adults would be comfortable in it, but it's perfect when fishing alone.
I have a big eskimo hub when there is more than just me going... when it's just me there is no sense in dragging a ton of stuff and extra weight.. always on foot and havent taken a machine on the ice in years.. however I need to get my machine ready so I can do so
So a 1 man flip is what I'm searching for

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2019, 09:32 PM »
I got my recruit last spring  through the best ice deals thread, first thing I did was paint the inside of the tub white as you did, I paid 176 bucks  and I'm thinking about ditching the boat seat and using a folding chair

What do you guys use to paint the sleds? Is it pretty durable?

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2019, 03:49 AM »
I picked up my Hideout last year at Frank's Great Outdoors as part of their annual Ice Shanty Days event.  The two hour drive was still worth it.

I like the room of the Hideout.  It's heavy, but I'm able to lift one edge of it onto my older, small pickup truck's tailgate and then push it up and in.  Not sure if I'd have an issue getting it started onto a taller, full size pickup as it would be more vertical.  I didn't think that I'd need a Smitty sled, but I ended up using one all the time since I pull the Hideout myself and don't have a snowmobile.  Pulling the tub and walking a mile or two through snow without skis isn't fun, and sliding it onto and off of the Smitty sled is actually very easy when you use your leg to keep the Smitty sled from sliding.  Using bungees on hooks keep the one-man from sliding off the sled.

I added an LED light that I ty-wrapped in permanently, and it has an inline on/off switch.  All that I do is use one of my 18v Milwaukee batteries with my 12v adapter to power the light when I need it.  The only thing that I do NOT like about my hideout is that the flip-over front fabric does not always rest on the ground.  If I have snow to quickly toss on it on the outside, it's fine.  With a stiff wind on clear ice, it can get breezy and I have to weigh down the front, u-shaped poles that should be resting on the ice but can end up a couple of inches above the ice with air blowing inside.
The more you use the shack the better it will get. Your poles are off the ice in the front because of the tent needing to heat up and stretch a little bit. Same thing happened to me when I put my cabin together. They told me I didn’t let the canvas hang and stretch long enough, my response being oh, I should of let it hang and stretch b4 putting together wish that was in the instructions. So my hideout is gonna hang for a week b4 putting together.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I have a Wide 1 as well and love it. The insulated tent is so much better than non insulated.  I’ve read of people having issues with the expanding poles freezing but I’ve used mine for a year and a half with zero issues. The extra room is great as well
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:27 AM »
The more you use the shack the better it will get. Your poles are off the ice in the front because of the tent needing to heat up and stretch a little bit. Same thing happened to me when I put my cabin together. They told me I didn’t let the canvas hang and stretch long enough, my response being oh, I should of let it hang and stretch b4 putting together wish that was in the instructions. So my hideout is gonna hang for a week b4 putting together.
Well I guess the hang and warm up fact is something that the manufacturers want to keep secret. I have had the same issue with all of the clams I have ever owned. Something to keep in mind for the next one. Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.