Author Topic: Hexagon Shelters  (Read 995 times)

Offline LilZombieGirl65

• IceShanty Rookie
Hexagon Shelters
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I am looking to purchase a 6-sided (hexagon) pop up shelter. I am interested in only the insulated models. I have looked at Eskimo, Clam and Otter but don't see a ton of differences. Reviews tend to be about the same. What is your preference and why? What problems have you encountered or what makes the brand you use stand out?

Offline Arlberg20

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hexagon Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:07 AM »
i have the otter resort  this will be my third year  no problems   lots of room  easy to heat

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Hexagon Shelters
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:04 AM »
thanks for joining us!

otter brand is known for being the top brand to buy because of it's quality, but at the same time the heaviest. because of the weight many of us that pull by hand onto the ice tend to shy away from the brand and choose lighter weight brands. so check weight, if it matters to you. unless you wait for thick enough ice to drive on weight might not matter as much.

some tips if your new to hub shelters:
i use four sided hubs and know you want to place ice anchors into the wind and have them placed as far away from the hub as practical. for me i set them about 6 feet away and i used motorcycle straps and i only use eskimo ice anchors because they are the sharpest and easiest to get into the ice.

place the door so when open it doesn't fill the hut up with cold wind. this is also helpful because the anchors and straps should be on the other side of the shelter and be less of a trip hazard.

i like to use the ice hole shaving kicked up to the windward side(s) of the inside of the shelter to stop drafts and light.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.