Author Topic: How to secure the reel?  (Read 26900 times)

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How to secure the reel?
« Reply #90 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Holy Smokes!  If you try using the castration bands, I recommend paying the extra little bit for the tool to put them on.  I used my fingers last night and after the first band I had two fingers caught between the cork and the band.  I've never felt my fingers get so cold that fast and then screaming hot 15 minutes later.  Needless to say, they were tingling a bit.  I am going to purchase the $12 tool this afternoon so I don't end up with nerve damage.

Thats why the kit from Cold Snap is so nice, it comes with the bands and the tool to install them on your rod.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Yes, I just didn't want to wait or pay for shipping.  A funnel like this would work better than what I had.

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Cold Snap has free shiping on all of their products.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I used a funnel that I cut to size.  It wasn't too easy but it worked.

Me too - I didn't think it was that bad, but I had one with a much longer neck like the one pictured.

Actually had a worse time cutting off the cheap plastic reel locks and not damaging the cork handle on a Frabil rod.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Been using 33+ for years. Very high grade electrical tape that stays plyable and doesn't get brittle like cheap electrical tape. Simple and cost effective.
Paul

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:36 PM »
The funnel sounds like a good idea.  I used a needle nose pliers, rolled the band up over the closed plier onto the handles.  Then force a 35 mm film canister, open end facing away from the pliers,  inside the band.  The pole will now fit inside the canister, just roll the band off the canister onto the pole.  It's not too bad.  jperch

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #96 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I like to use zip ties with electrical tape over that. but thats just me.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Shrink as much as possible then apply electrical tape tightly

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #98 on: Dec 25, 2011, 01:52 PM »
I follow the pattern they use with zip ties when you buy the jig pole and reel in the stores. The ones I have though have somewhat of a reel as a base to start.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Apr 14, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I use this tape, its just about like the frabill tape, it is actually thicker and you get 10 feet for about 4 bucks. Fleet Farm has it in the electrical isle.

(Image removed from quote.)

I no longer use this or frabill tape due to the amount of stretch this stuff has. On several occasions I hooked into walleye that were 3 to 5 pounds and the reel would just about come off during the battle and on one walleye it did come off. I had wrapped the reel feet on both sides of the reel a minimum of 4 times and stretched it good as well. The reels seemed like they were tight on the rod handles until the battle was on.

I am back to 3m super 33 black electrical tape.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

surflizard

« Reply #100 on: Apr 15, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I have not spotted any cork denting on my jig rods from the Cold Snap reel wraps, they keep the reel from moving at all, even fighting big Lake trout, nothing against anyone who uses tape, but I can't stand the idea of covering a Custom Made cork handle with any kind of tape, I'll stick with the Cold Snap Reel Wraps !! :thumbsup:

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Apr 15, 2012, 12:13 PM »
I'll have to give the cold snaps a try, I agree with you not wanting to cover up the customs.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2012, 06:34 PM »

if it is just a cork handle what are you covering up with a couple wraps of electrical tape ,if has a reel seat it doesn't need anything just a question all my reels are cork , even Jason Mitchell uses tape, was on line looking at stuff and noticed that right off , but to each their own, and or what makes you comfy 

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2012, 07:49 PM »

if it is just a cork handle what are you covering up with a couple wraps of electrical tape ,if has a reel seat it doesn't need anything just a question all my reels are cork , even Jason Mitchell uses tape, was on line looking at stuff and noticed that right off , but to each their own, and or what makes you comfy

Man, how much did them cork reels cost ya filet? Were they special order, limited edition or something? Can ya post a photo of 'em, I can't say as I've ever seen a cork reel before. ;D  ;D ;D  Sorry, I just couldn't resist, eh.

As to the thread topic, plain old electrical tape here. Reasonably priced, readily available, works great and there's probably a dozen rolls floating around here between the tool boxes, gadget drawers, glove boxes, etc.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2012, 07:32 PM »
I have not spotted any cork denting on my jig rods from the Cold Snap reel wraps, they keep the reel from moving at all, even fighting big Lake trout, nothing against anyone who uses tape, but I can't stand the idea of covering a Custom Made cork handle with any kind of tape, I'll stick with the Cold Snap Reel Wraps !! :thumbsup:
Agree 100%.  Cold Snaps are perfect for the custom rods.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2012, 07:59 AM »
I'll stick with my O-rings, they aren't near as bulky as the CSRwraps and are a heck of alot cheaper,the reel wraps would be alot cheaper if a person went to a vet supply place and just bought castration bands, 100 of them for maybe a couple bucks.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jun 08, 2012, 12:38 PM »

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jun 15, 2012, 09:56 PM »
After reading the tips here, I went to our local Farm & Fleet store and bought a package of 100 rubber castration bands for a couple bucks. Those suckers are tough to flex, so I altered a plastic funnel I had laying around so that the butt of the rod barely slid inside the narrow end of the funnel. Just popped the band onto the narrow funnel end and then reversed direction so that the band could jump onto the butt of the rod. Four of those on the reel tabs anchored them very tightly to the butt.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jun 16, 2012, 09:32 AM »
That's fine, but I would rather spend another dollar or two and support a company that is involved with ice fishing, not "oysters"  After all, he is the guy that came up with the idea for using them this way. And I'm sure it won't be long and most of the rods we buy will come with these already on them. I spoke with the owner of Cold Snap last year at a local ice show, and he said that they are going to have several different colors for this next ice season. Our sport is starting to get consumed by big buisiness (thanks Rapapla) and I think it is important to support the small guys. After all, they are the ones with all the good ideas.

I'll get off my soap box now. lol 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Jul 01, 2012, 03:02 PM »
That's fine, but I would rather spend another dollar or two and support a company that is involved with ice fishing, not "oysters"  After all, he is the guy that came up with the idea for using them this way. And I'm sure it won't be long and most of the rods we buy will come with these already on them. I spoke with the owner of Cold Snap last year at a local ice show, and he said that they are going to have several different colors for this next ice season. Our sport is starting to get consumed by big buisiness (thanks Rapapla) and I think it is important to support the small guys. After all, they are the ones with all the good ideas.

I'll get off my soap box now. lol
Agreed. Basically the previous poster mirrored Cold Snaps product Reel Wraps, which is fine. No more than what CS's product cost, I picked up some extra pkg's and gave them to my brother-in-law. The extra couple of bucks wasn't worth a trip to Co-op to copy their idea, and I'd rather support folks, and a company which attends Ice Fishing Shows, supports ice fishing contests and are all around good guys. Plus I bought a Cold Snap Auger Cover! Try getting that at Co-op!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.