Author Topic: killing fish  (Read 6090 times)

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
killing fish
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Whats the point of keeping a large fish when you can easily taken a length and girth, snap a few pics, return it to the water to breed, and then have a synthetic mount that will last longer than the angler?

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: killing fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:04 PM »
that makes absolutley no sense.  Anyways, I was refering to trophy fish FYI

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:21 PM »
honestly for fish like muskies i will never keep one unless it is a record. if i have to get it mounted i will take all the measurements and about 100 pics and will release it, unless of corse it got harmed and i dont believe it will live, then i will take it

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:25 PM »
thats classy.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Many huge trophy fish are past their breeding prime. I let them go though. Don't want to be the one to end their long life.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008, 05:13 PM »
This may sound unclassy and i am not trying to piss anyone off.....But if i break the record, i am gonna keep it....maybe i am greedy,but i want the record....
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Jer

« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Some people are Neanderthals...*coughhartleadmcough achoo*.

Does that Geico commercial ring a bell to anyone?

"It's so easy a caveman can do it".

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2008, 10:01 AM »
i only keep the eater sizes the rest get to live for someone else to enjoy i have a trophy photo album not a trophy wall

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2008, 02:54 PM »
i have to admit i have kept one breeder my 44 incher ... but everyother time i toss anything bnack over 6 lbs i only keep 3 to 6 lbrs otherwise its too small or too big to keep and i always told myslef i would toss a big one back and get a replica but when you have a 44 incher on the ice you mind suddenly does bad things ... but now ... i do wish i got a replica

Jer

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2008, 03:47 PM »
That's what we are here for.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2008, 08:06 PM »
someone posted this site on another thread, very impressive work
http://www.laxreproductions.com/index.shtml

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:51 AM »
So this for is for people with mental health issues bacuse I got fishing only to kill fish lol

It is about ethics, ethics my friend  ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:39 AM »
It's also about selective harvest.  Keeping large fish that take a long time to grow only hurts the population... like Lake Trout and Pike. Taking fish that reproduce quickly helps the population...like Perch and Bluegill.  Sure they can be overfished too, but if you keep only what you can use for a meal or two then you're not going to damage the population.  What I don't like to see is people catching (and keeping) a lot of fish at one time.  I've seen guys keep 50 Perch in an outing, and while that's legal I think that's being greedy.  Keep enough of them to eat and release the rest.  Come back and catch them another day.

I don't remember who said it but it always stuck with me.  "Never give a fish away."  If you give a fish away, that means you have too many yourself.  Keep what you need and release the rest.  Just my thoughts.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline fishingmom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:35 AM »

I don't remember who said it but it always stuck with me.  "Never give a fish away."  If you give a fish away, that means you have too many yourself.  Keep what you need and release the rest.  Just my thoughts.
That's not entirely true.  I've caught and kept one jack and gave it to my neighbour because they love jack and don't fish and I can always go catch another.

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:38 AM »
so true fishingmom, I have a number of times given fish to the elderly that cant fish anymore or to someone else who is not able to get out and fish................ always remember "pay it forward"
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:45 AM »
That's what we are here for.
Hi there Jer,  Did you make it down to Diefenbaker, last weekend, and how did you make out. F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:56 AM »
It is about ethics, ethics my friend  ;)

How about it being about the law??? You criticize someone for keeping a LEGAL fish??? How about you being criticized for keeping any fish?? Does that make sense?? WEll PETA criticizes the catch and rel;ease angler, the catch and release angler criticizes the catch and keep, and now you catch and keep anglers have somehow developed the moral high ground to criticize someone else for keeping a LEGAL fish!!

Many trophy fish are not viable breaders anymore, but eat for lunch the ones that are. So maybe a trophy hunter is doing a service!! Ifthe law had a cut off per se a slot limit, then cool with me. But if it is legal to keep a specified length fish, and yu do, you are NO LESS of a MAN, person, sportsperson etc....

But thou who cuts down, criticizes and calls others unethical is less of a man, and while feeling he is morally better than everyone else, is actually acting like a PETA fanatic on a different level.

If you do not appreciate those that keep trophies, then lobby for slot limits. Till then, accept the fact that the catch and Keep guys are no lesser of a man than you. They are following the law!!

Offline Mitch_Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:19 PM »
Hi there Jer,  Did you make it down to Diefenbaker, last weekend, and how did you make out. F.B.

He got skunked. But we're trying again tomorrow, we'll give you guys updates

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:49 PM »
How about it being about the law??? You criticize someone for keeping a LEGAL fish??? How about you being criticized for keeping any fish?? Does that make sense?? WEll PETA criticizes the catch and rel;ease angler, the catch and release angler criticizes the catch and keep, and now you catch and keep anglers have somehow developed the moral high ground to criticize someone else for keeping a LEGAL fish!!

Many trophy fish are not viable breaders anymore, but eat for lunch the ones that are. So maybe a trophy hunter is doing a service!! Ifthe law had a cut off per se a slot limit, then cool with me. But if it is legal to keep a specified length fish, and yu do, you are NO LESS of a MAN, person, sportsperson etc....

But thou who cuts down, criticizes and calls others unethical is less of a man, and while feeling he is morally better than everyone else, is actually acting like a PETA fanatic on a different level.

If you do not appreciate those that keep trophies, then lobby for slot limits. Till then, accept the fact that the catch and Keep guys are no lesser of a man than you. They are following the law!!

are you a politician or what your are sure dishing out the bull crap like you are one  ;D  ;D  ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:51 PM »

But if it is legal to keep a specified length fish, and yu do, you are NO LESS of a MAN, person, sportsperson etc....

Ahhhh...yes you are.  Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical.  But I don't want to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man. So, go for it.  Keep all the fish that you want because it's legal.  Just stay off of my waters.

Chuck

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2008, 02:14 PM »
Ahhhh...yes you are.  Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical.  But I don't want to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man. So, go for it.  Keep all the fish that you want because it's legal.  Just stay off of my waters.

Well put. 

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2008, 03:03 PM »

Considering yourself better than those that keep a big fish is quite arrogant and egotistical. Those fellas on here with a catch and keep trophy in your own words are less of a man than you???? Wow, quite full of yourself eh?? So is it you and a handfull of fellas that have determined what is ethical for everyone???? Maybe what is ethical for you is anal for another and vica versa??? Well at least you have shown your true colors of eliticism for all to see.

Wow, calling other fishermen less of a man for keeping a trophy......a sad State of affairs for you indeed.

For those of you that do keep trophies, and I am generally not one, I will not pass judgement on you, nor consider you less of a man. I suspect most "Sportsmen" on here would not either. Kudos to each of you for your own up-bringings, beliefs and "personal" code of ethics!!!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2008, 04:51 PM »
We have already had this debate on the thread "stronger regs", I updated it so it should be right below-
  But as for the topic- personally i think people that keep fish that are trophy's, or even top breeders, are krazy. Fish can be fished out, and the rumor that trophy fish are not breeder is absolutely absurd.  If you go to any hatchery, or net capture for eggs- the best eggs are from big fish of ALL SPECIES.  Rainbows to walleyes.  Now for some people a 12lb pike is a trophy- others its 25lbs.  So what people classify trophy fish is all from upbringing and what they know.  But for our Sask waters- we need those big fish to keep our populations sustainable.  No one is saying that you are a low life for keeping a trophy fish, but continually keeping trophy fish, for the dinner table none the less, is getting our fishery no where but downhill.  This also goes for little rats- why keep five 10 inch walleye?  Better off to buy some highliner.  The only good thing about people that continually keep trophy fish are that they usually don't catch alot of them, or fish for that matter.  These types of threads should be more about educating than bashing.
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:31 PM »
We have already had this debate on the thread "stronger regs", I updated it so it should be right below-
  But as for the topic- personally i think people that keep fish that are trophy's, or even top breeders, are krazy. Fish can be fished out, and the rumor that trophy fish are not breeder is absolutely absurd.  If you go to any hatchery, or net capture for eggs- the best eggs are from big fish of ALL SPECIES.  Rainbows to walleyes.  Now for some people a 12lb pike is a trophy- others its 25lbs.  So what people classify trophy fish is all from upbringing and what they know.  But for our Sask waters- we need those big fish to keep our populations sustainable.  No one is saying that you are a low life for keeping a trophy fish, but continually keeping trophy fish, for the dinner table none the less, is getting our fishery no where but downhill.  This also goes for little rats- why keep five 10 inch walleye?  Better off to buy some highliner.  The only good thing about people that continually keep trophy fish are that they usually don't catch alot of them, or fish for that matter.  These types of threads should be more about educating than bashing.

You have very good input here. Guess you touched on my point as well. WTP is calling anyone, not the person that keeps lots of tropheies, but anyone that keeps a trophy lesser of a man, stating they have poorer ethics. But ethics are different for everyone dependent upon what is classed as a trophy in your area, what is the cultural beliefs for the specific species, how bad you need the fish for the table for your family to survive etc... Bashing others, and deciding that you as an individual are better than others, and able to decide what another persons ethics should be is not what this site is about.  :tipup:

Jer

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Hey flyboy, yeah I did go, but like Mitch said, I got skunked. Seen a huge sucker, some walleye, some trout, pike, and other fish that I could not identify. I bought an Aqua-Vu Quad Pod today so hopefully I will be able to catch something this weekend. Going Saturday and Sunday.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Hey flyboy, yeah I did go, but like Mitch said, I got skunked. Seen a huge sucker, some walleye, some trout, pike, and other fish that I could not identify. I bought an Aqua-Vu Quad Pod today so hopefully I will be able to catch something this weekend. Going Saturday and Sunday.

Good luck with that top of the line Aqua View Quad!!! Nice rig!! Youh have to now take heart medicine with ya, cause when you start seeing all those fish under you, your heart will be racing constantly. Nice piece of equipment!!!

Jer

« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Lol got skunked again today. The quad pod didn't help me much, but I seen a million fish down the holes.

Offline Mitch_Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2008, 05:47 PM »
yea no fish, we did manage to consume a few soda pops though ;)

Jer

« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:57 PM »
And a few road pops.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:37 AM »
Considering yourself better than those that keep a big fish is quite arrogant and egotistical. Those fellas on here with a catch and keep trophy in your own words are less of a man than you???? Wow, quite full of yourself eh?? So is it you and a handfull of fellas that have determined what is ethical for everyone???? Maybe what is ethical for you is anal for another and vica versa??? Well at least you have shown your true colors of eliticism for all to see.

Wow, calling other fishermen less of a man for keeping a trophy......a sad State of affairs for you indeed.

For those of you that do keep trophies, and I am generally not one, I will not pass judgement on you, nor consider you less of a man. I suspect most "Sportsmen" on here would not either. Kudos to each of you for your own up-bringings, beliefs and "personal" code of ethics!!!

I'm not saying that I'm better than you.  I'm saying that a person who keeps a legal limit of fish regardless whether trophy sized or not, and does it over and over isn't an ethical person...legal, yes, ethical no!   I keep a fish or two every now and then to eat, I like fish.  But, most of my fish are released to fight again...and I never keep a trophy, ever!  I carry a camera, take a picture of it and release it.  I consider any person who practices catch and release a better person than someone who does not.  They've evolved beyond the "killing" mode and actually care enough about their quarry to take care of the resource.  Enough on this topic.

Chuck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.