Author Topic: Augers (Yes another thread)  (Read 6653 times)

gman51

Re: Augers (Yes another thread)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:40 AM »
witnessed 2 ions stuck in the ice trying to re-open holes. talked to the guy,s and they swear that they will never do it again. this was in fairly thick ice maybe 15-16" maybe 4-5" should be OK.other than that they seem to work fine from what i seen. but to comment on the thread above that their as good as any other auger i would have to disagree.not enough torque when they do get stuck.

Offline lip-ripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2015, 10:49 AM »
with the ion you cant push down on the auger when re drilling holes the weight of the auger it self is almost to much. i just hold it up a little bit and it works perfect! my buddy had a jiffy and it got stuck and broke his wrist. another guy i know got a strike master stuck bent the bit. getting the auger stuck is not the augers fault. its operator error.
8 walleye over 10 pounds since 2014
1 pike over 25 pounds since 2014

Offline 5nines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2015, 04:58 PM »
Ion  best thing since wood heat
I kept my old gas auger but haven't even thought about using it
I drill and redrill from inside the shack all season, never a problem

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:00 PM »
My old Jiffy runs like a tank, Bought is second had and have no idea how old it is.  I hate to think of a day when i dies.

Anyone that wants to know when their Jiffy was built, just send an e-mail to [email protected] with the Jiffy serial number. You should receive a reply within a couple days.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:56 PM »
I'm the same way on this topic.  Need a new auger, but torn between a 4 stroke gas Jiffy and the Jiffy propane auger.  So many conflicting posts..... Got to get one bought this week, so any additional info is appreciated.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2015, 12:55 AM »
I have the Homda Lite and have nothing bad to say about it. Starts super easy, pulls over very easy, no problems whatsoever. And it's very light

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Also recommend the 4-stroke strike master. Bought the first year it came out. Couple glitches fixed by them. Good service. Wish I had a 10 in.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:34 AM »
So there we have it folks. Once again. Every auger made has been recommended. Good luck! Lol. I had to.....

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:59 PM »
 haha yep if i was you i'd get either a gas, propane or electric.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Or one of each, then you could tell us which is better! ;D. I'm leaning towards the ION for my next auger, but a 2nd battery would be a must! Just my 5 cents! :P

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:05 AM »
Figured I would get a few opinions lol. Good to read regardless. I won't be going the electric route just due to the fact i would have to get a different 10" flight and I drill a pile of holes.

Despite my jiffy being a workhorse and the propane intriguing me, I'm most likely going to get a strikemaster in the new year. Weather it's the 4 stroke or the lazer pro is yet to be determined. Dont have the budget for a Tanaka. Maybe I'll just get whichever has the best sale lol

Offline mxbulldog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:21 AM »
To add in to the opinions, I have had a Normark for 3 years now.  Drilled many holes with no issues at all.  It's not the fastest auger but it starts really good and is very light.  I have the 10" but the 8" would probably be more suited to the power of the auger.  It is a Husqvarna engine and Mora flighting and I have no complaints other than blades were tough to find but Wholesale in Saskatoon ordered a bunch in when I requested a set, they got 10 of them in.

Offline CHRIS4WALLEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Alot of the problems comes down to whether someone knows how to start one. Some people are clueless when it comes to using a choke etc lol

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Alot of the problems comes down to whether someone knows how to start one. Some people are clueless when it comes to using a choke etc lol

X2!!!!!!
Jig on!

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:11 AM »
buying the ion electric auger today anyone knows who has the best price

Offline Greatwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:54 AM »
The fishin hole has the 8" on sale for $549.99 right now. Everywhere else Canadian Tire, Cabelas, Wholesale Sports are all $699.99. Canadian tire was just on sale a few days ago for 25% off.  If you aren't in Saskatoon maybe one of these places will do a price match. Used a buddies 10" Ion auger the other day it was ok but ice was only 10-12" thick. Might not be so good at 36" of ice. Good luck.

Offline P1ckl3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:06 AM »
buying the ion electric auger today anyone knows who has the best price

Keep your battery warm if they get too cold they don't drill nearly as well but will still do 10 or so holes cold. Same issue with the propane style.
If thats all you need for holes great but if you punch more go with gas.
Be a god and walk on water

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:12 AM »
thanks greatwest just ordered one from fishing hole pick up on Monday .I usally only drill 4or6 holes and I have 2 jiffy model 30 in 8and 10 inch just getting to old to pull when they wont start..

Offline Walleyes at heart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Hey guys just looking for some input on Augers. I have been reading around the site with a lot of useful information from our neighbours down south but wondering what everyone closer to home is running and your opinions. I have an older Jiffy Lightning two stroke its a 9" blade (don't make them anymore). It has been good to me but looking for an upgrade.

I am thinking about getting either a propane or a 4 stroke so I don't have to monkey around with mixing gas or buying Aspen fuel ect. My concerns with the propane is how it handles the cold around here and if anyone has had any issues. I like there Jiffy Pro 40 propane and thats what I currently have my eye on. The 4 stroke I am looking at is a strike master and its a real toss up for me. Having a 9" auger I am leaning more toward a 10"  as  I don't want to downsize. That being said I like to drill a lot of holes and its not uncommon for me to drill 25 to 50 holes a day and upwards so lugging around something too heavy might become tiresome.

Any input is appreciated I realized theres probably 100 previous posts on the subject just trying to get some 2015 info on these augers and from guys a little closer to home dealing with the weather we in Saskatchewan consider "cold".

I just spent some days in -25 with the wind blowing , I have the jiffy propane in a 10 inch STX , on my drive to the lake , I sit the bottle on the floor down near the heat , when I get to the lake I screw it on and I leave the auger outside on the ice all day ,
It has never missed a pull yet  , clean burning , starts 9'out of 10'times on the first pull , and this sucker can cut a big hole fast

I did think about buying the ion , just thought I would also need to have a back up battery and at $200 pop , kinda scared me away
I'v seen guys use them and in honest , I really like them , sometimes I second guess myself on if I should of went with the green machine ,  then I drill a hole with the big jiffy and I know I made the right choice for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.