Author Topic: Minnows/Brands  (Read 6308 times)

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
Minnows/Brands
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Could be a dumb question but does anyone have a preference on minnow brands, size, salted or unsalted? I usually just pick up any tub of regular, unsalted Minnows of whatever brand. But as of late have noticed one brand of Minnows is firmer and stays on the hook better then the other (could be a mental thing I just decided on day :P).

I also noticed I tend to go for the smaller Minnows in my regular tub or just rip the heads off or rip the bigger Minnows in half. Anyways was just curious if people stick to a certain brand or if possibly I just got a couple of bad tubs that had thawed and been refrozen by the shop.

Offline HoggON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat it or beat it!
Re: Minnows/Brands
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:19 PM »
As far as brands go I'm not sure but one thing I am sure about is bait is everything.  I take my sweet time when choosing my bait, if one places bait doesn't look good I will drive across town just to get good looking bait. 
A buddy and myself fished side by side last weekend, him with some dandy salty's and myself with regular minnows and our walleye counts were pretty well equal.  Although he out pounded me with a behemoth eye! 
Take care of the fishery and the fishery will take care of you.

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:26 PM »
I like Big-Zee.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:30 PM »
I'm not too concerned on brands but like to have a selection of bait to choose from. Usually have regular minnows, salted minnows, smelts, herring and other baits on hand

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I like the candle lake shiners as far as minnows go.

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I'm not too concerned on brands but like to have a selection of bait to choose from. Usually have regular minnows, salted minnows, smelts, herring and other baits on hand

x2

Offline Uzo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:15 PM »
I like Salted minnows and the smaller ones. There is a store in Regina that sells the salts just by adding his own salt on top which I don't like....it's not the proper way and I find they r way more mushy.

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:01 AM »
I know that when I salmon fish with herring we would salt them because it touffens the skin and is more likely to survive a hit and miss.  I salt my minnows because they stay together better and i know it stands a better chance of staying on my hook when something is playing with it or I miss a hit.  I did how ever notice that the amount of salt needed for minnow is a lot less than the herring i am used to on the BC coast and i deffenly turned my first tub or two into minnow jerky.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 AM »
Big Zee all the way

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:32 AM »
salted minnows never totally freeze, main reason i use them primarily.  the freeze/thaw of regular minnows turns em to mush and it's no fun hacking out a chunk of minnow from a frozen tub when there's walleye below you stealing bait.  some days they only want unsalted though, so like BB said i like to have an assortment.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:08 AM »
I had a tub of salted minnows a couple of years ago. They lasted me an entire fishing season. They were the best minnows I ever used. I probably caught a fish for every two minnows in the tub. They were indestructible. I have a had time finding them in Saskatoon though.

Offline t-tot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:53 AM »
I try to use the ones in the square yellow tub only.

Offline Mallow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Where in regina can I get minnows.  I want them to be thawed for Saturdays fishing trip

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:02 AM »
You should be able to find minnow at both Great Northern Rod and Reel and at Pokeys Tackle shop. 
Wholesale sports has dyed minnows in unfrozen bags along with other bait fish. I am not sure how they would work or how they are preserved.
You might even have some luck at superstore. I have seen frozen minnows in there before but not that often. Superstore usually has lots of smelt and other big pike baits.

It might be good to give the stores a call before going, just encase they are out at the moment.

Have any of you tried those pickled herring strips or chunks you can buy in jars at most grocery stores?
They look like they might work, but I just wondering as I have never tried them myself. :-\

WW

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:45 AM »
Wholesale Sports

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:29 AM »
Have any of you tried those pickled herring strips or chunks you can buy in jars at most grocery stores?
They look like they might work, but I just wondering as I have never tried them myself. :-\
WW

as a proud scandanavian it would be blasphemy to use something as tasty as pickled herring for bait!  ;D

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Buying bait from major supermarkets scares me a little because the bait most likely came from out of province (or should I say "food" ;)).  The angling guide mentions purchasing bait from within the province because of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) originating in Ontario.  Just saying... not that I always have this in mind but I usually buy Candle Lake shiners.  I have never tried salted or preserved minnows although a friend swears by salted because they can be reused more than natural minnows.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:14 AM »
About time someone backed me up on the candle lake shiners.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Candle lake shiners and Big Zees are about the only two brands I wont buy, not sure why but they just havent done well for me.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Candle Lake Shiners have done really well for me in the SSR.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Crazy how different things work for people I swear by them. Find they have a little thicker skin and seem to stay on better. I usually cut them in half or thirds and like to use the tail end. Hook through 2 trebles so it sits like a swimming fish would towards the end of the tale.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:38 AM »
The ones in the square yellow tub used to be my favorite but I cant ever seem to find them here anymore.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:44 AM »
We're they salted layne?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Unsalted but they may have come salted as well, its been a couple years since Ive seen them locally.

Offline churks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2013, 03:02 PM »
I like the preserved ones that are in the bag they stay good for a real long time and they stay on the hook. I
fish and hunt till it kills me or i kill it

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:26 PM »
I remember the ones in the yellow tub, those used to be my main purchase. Right now I have both salted and unsalted Northern lights as well Campbells Catch small Minnows.

Offline Kinasao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:45 PM »
I you want to salt your own minnows, mix sea salt and borax 50/50 in a separate container. Take a tub of minnows, thaw them out and separate them into two containers. Add the salt/borax mixture to your minnows and you can then refreeze them and use a tub as required.You can use the same tub of minnows several days in summer or winter depending on the bite. In the summer I just store the minnows in the fridge rather than refreeze them if I am fishing several days in a row. The mixture will draw water from the minnows and I drain this off each day. The minnows will stay firm and don't get soft and mushy. Borax is simply washing soda and it is available in the laundry area of the grocery store. One name brand is "Arm and Hammer".

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Good info / tip  Kinasao, I will try that some time. :)

WW

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Layne, were the ones in the yellow square tub northern light minnows? If so, they now come in round containers. Only asking cause I remember getting them in the square containers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.