Author Topic: Ice Fishing in Sask. 2011 / 2012  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Young Catcher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing in Sask. 2011 / 2012
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2012, 01:49 PM »
So nice Burbot,  now Water Wolf ,  at least you have two lakes for ice fishing burbot.
I love burot fishing too.  Thanks for your posting.

Offline Young Catcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2012, 10:26 AM »

Is it good now for burbot on LML ?
Pelican point was a good place last year.
Thanks.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Thanks Yukoner, emt & Young Catcher. :)

Emt a blue colored burbot would be neat to see, especially a big one like you got.
Do you have pict of it?

Glad to provide the picts and stories Yukoner.
Have you made it out yet yourself?

YC I have not been out since my last post Feb. 20th so I am not sure but I would guess the burbot should be spawing now.

I did have luck last year at Pelican Pointe', but that's not the only spot they spawn on LML.
I have only tried one of the other spost other than PP.

I think the tackle shops in Regian would know if you phoned them whats going on with the spawn.

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 20, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Hi all,

Here is my weekend fishing report. :tipup:

Day 1. March 17th. St. Patrick's Days fishing.

On St. Paddy's Day I decided to try my "luck" at a bit of ice fishing for the afternoon, as it's been a while since I have been out.
It was allot cooler afternoon then we had all week but still enjoyable on the ice, with a mostly cloudy sky, and not bad temps.

With all the recent warm weather we had + the unusually mild winter, I was not too eager to try any lakes I don't know that well
so I returned to my usual lake and walked out to my usual spot.
There was some water on the ice in patches with the deepest {about 2" -3"} near the small pressure ridge right at shore.

The ice was still plenty thick,but, it cut with half the effort. The ice is starting to get a bit punk.

I ice fished from 3:00pm - 7:10pm.

In that time I saw 4 pike on camera, I got one of them to bite and had 3 just nibble the bait without getting hooked.

This is the 1 wee guy who bit for me.

It was 1.6 lbs.

P.S - The Spring bird migration is underway in this area, and on my way to the lake, and at the lake, I saw good numbers of Canada geese, both greater and lesser, some snow geese, a few hawks, lot of crows and even a few red wing black birds, spring is on it's way.
I also noticed the lake water was very murky on camera, and I could only see about 2 feet.
I think there must be a few creeks or areas of water seepage into the lake, getting it all stirred up also the snow is also about 98% gone around this area.
I hope we don't get any more snow, but you never know in Sask. ::)

Day 2. March 18th.
I though I would try my usual ice fishing spot again and see what happens.

This day also had not bad temps, but the sky was cloudy all afternoon.

On this day I ice fished from 2:10pm - 6:05pm.

As I got to were I fished the day before I saw that my holes I drilled the day before were still open, I set up in no time.

Through out the afternoon the sky looked like it could storm at any time, and I think the fish must have felt that a bit, as I had a bit more action.

On this afternoon I iced 5 pike, had 3 get off and had 4 nibbles. I also saw 4 fish on camera 2 of them hit, but 1 of them was one of the fish I lost. It's always neat to see them hit right in front of you.

Here is the results.
The big one of the day was 1st one caught this time. :)
Darn camera flash,lol. ::)

It was 26.6" long and 5.3lbs. She really had a gut on her, she looked to be full of eggs.

Here are the rest of them.

This was the little guy of the day, and last one before I packed up.

All in all, I was happy to be back on the ice, and was satisfied with the fish numbers and size for the 2 days. :tipup:
The last little one that looked to be a male and stayed with me, all the rest looked to be female and went back to do their thing this spring.

I hope to get out 1 or 2 more times before the season ends, we will see. :)

W
W

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 26, 2012, 12:02 AM »
Hi guys,

Here is my report for Sunday March 25th. :)

I started fishing from 3:10pm to 6:15pm.

The afternoon was a lot cooler than my last trip out despite the sunny sky with the temp sitting just at the freezing mark and with the strong S wind, it felt quite a bit cooler.

I returned to my usual spot to find the ice had not changed at all from the last time I was out.  With the recent cold spell the melt water on the ice had refrozen and was uneven.  There was a slight skim of water on it making for some very slippery conditions.  Nearly went down twice!!! ::) 

The fish on this day were mildly aggressive and in the end I had 2 nibbles and iced 3 pike.
All the fish were very similar in size and length, and, around the 3.5 - 4 lb range.
They also all had a bit of a gut on them { hopefully eggs} so they all went back.

The results. :tipup:
Pike #1.

Pike #2.

Pike #3.

All the fish hit a set rod and commercially frozen 6" cisco / tullibee.

In the end I was happy with the results this afternoon for the time I had.
I am not sure if this will be the last day for me this regular ice fishing season, but at least I did not end it with a skunk.
I am also happy to have had the season I did and did most of my fishing on one lake and in one area.
This is the best season I have had at this lake and with all the fresh water we have had these last few years the fishing should stay this good or continue to get better.

See you guys on My Fish Finder this open water season or on Ice Shanty next winter. ;)2

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.