Author Topic: Can I use a broken pole?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
Can I use a broken pole?
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:14 PM »
I bought a Frabill Panfish Popper combo about 3 weeks back (ultra light). The other day when I pulled the pole out, the tip had snapped above the 2nd eyelit, so I lost the very tip and spring bobber. I cut it down and filed it down so that the end of the pole is now the 2nd eyelit.

I obviously know it can be used, but am i losing anything? Sensitivity? The only issue I could see is that a small jig could be reeled up through the end eyelit (formerly the 2nd eyelit from the tip) but thats an easy issue to avoid.

Has anyone still used their pole after breaking?

I bought another pole and switched reels, but now just have this pole laying around. It seems to be just fine, although it's not as whippy and doesnt seem like it has the same flex.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Can I use a broken pole?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:17 PM »
you can attach anew spring bobber to the tip for cheap and wont miss a beat :o

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:40 PM »
i actually bought broken rods from st. croix last year. i run a spring bobber on all of my rods so i dont even notice

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:44 PM »
If they still catch fish....then its a win win. My brother broke the tip off his and its still works...just looks Getto

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Good deal. I mean i knew i could use it, but wasn't sure if it would greatly affect anything and wouldn't be worth even trying. The old spring bobber I had fit into the last eyelit snuggly. Now it's too small to fit in this bigger eyelit, so i'll either glue it in, or just get a snap on type spring bobber.

This ice fishing stuff sort of turns people into handymen! I can honeslty say when something i had broke or didnt work for what i wanted, I would go buy something new or just trash it. But coming onto the Shanty here sort of inspires me to build and modify a lot of items that break or don't quite work for the purpose intended.

Thanks for the help.

Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Same thing happened to me with a Frabill Bro Series UL rod a while back.  Still was able to detect the light biters.

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Next time don't break any more of the rod tip off.  Just go buy a replacement eyelit and glue it onto the broken tip.  That way you don't lose nearly as much action on the rod.  I just did that for 2 of my broken rods.  3 eyelits and the glue cost $2.99.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:03 PM »
You can never have enough spare equipment,in the bucket in garage.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:07 PM »
When this happend to me, I went to Wally World and bought a 'tip repair kit' you get a couple sizes of tips and some hot glue. Remove the second eye if you wish and install the tip that fits. I usually remove the tip on some of my rods and replace the tip [kit] from a fly rod. It makes it easier to watch the line for light bits. As far as the sensitivity you lost from the original rod, there are many types of spring bobbers that can be added.  :icefish:

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I repair my ice rods all the time. over lap the broken parts about 1/4 -3/8" wrap them with thread tightly and coat them with epoxy. It works pretty well. Depending on where it breaks you don't lose too much.   

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:29 PM »
You don't need no stinkin rod.
Back in the day all we had was a piece of string and a bent nail.

Offline seansean1444

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:59 PM »
just use very small zip ties and zip tie a spring bobber to the end. not good as new but close

Offline JOHN044

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:35 PM »
My favorite rod used every time I go is broken the exact same...Obviously not as sensitive but I like it.  I use it and jig with it all the time.  It can be repaired for less than 2 bucks but no way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.