Author Topic: anyone using the New propane jiffy ice auger?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
anyone using the New propane jiffy ice auger?
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I saw it advertised in the ice fishing cabelas catalog.  It looked sweet.  No more gas issues.  Seems like it should start every time. 
Anyone have one yet with a review?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Re: anyone using the New propane jiffy ice auger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I don't have one, but I would like to someday. 

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Here is a youtube vid of one in use,  looks like it needs more torque
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC558vqHkX4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePxriAChZjU&NR=1

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live In A Van Down By The River..........
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:22 PM »
I have had one for a month now.  I had it out in -15 degrees all weekend last week.  The 8" auger sat outside overnight to see how it would handle it...  Never took more than 3 pulls to start it(most of the time it is one pull or 2).  Very happy with this--we have about 18" of ice right now and it cuts through like butter.

Many guys that want to talk crap about this auger (38 pounds, how well will propane do in cold temps, its 4 stroke....)  I haven't heard anyone that has one say they had problems or wish they didn't buy it.  Trust me, if I didn't like it--I would be telling you guys.

I'm using it for a big fishing weekend in a few days (starts Thur morning and finish Sunday afternoon!!!  I hope you guys catch a ton of fish--because I am going to.

A dry line will never catch a fish.

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:31 PM »
I got to run one this past weekend they are sweet,,, may have to sell the ice gator

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I have not seen one yet.  I think the propane would be nice with no gas fumes.  38# for an auger seems awfully heavy??  The lighter augers out there are 23-25#.  More apt to punch holes to find fish with a lighter auger.  My two cents only.  Technology in the future should help bring the weight down.

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:27 PM »
I have one and love it. There has been a pretty lengthy post on this already. But just to answer the weight question...yeah it is heavy. I weigh about 180 or so at 6' tall. By no means in "great shape" though. I just punched 12 holes solo after work and lugged it around in a 25-40 yard radius. Is it a work out?   yeah.  Possible? for sure. It is tiring, but I dint work out or anything either. It's actually a nice workout for me.

We drive out on the ice this time of year, but even when i pulled it in a sled, it wasn't that big of a deal.

No issues at all so far. Still on my 1st 1# tank and I have to have darn near 65 holes in 12-18inches of ice at this point.

I would reccommend it to anyone. I love it. I just started though and never owned a gas Auger either, but i didn't want to have to deal with anything. It's sweet.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline muskyjoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:03 AM »
I absolutely love mine. Heavy but starts on first or second pull every time and no fumes, or mixing of oil and gas.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:24 AM »
If it is 38 lbs. I don't want to even look at it!  Way to heavy for me.  My Nils is a lot more manageable for me and I only have to put gas in it once in a while.  I can drill a lot of holes on one tank, so that is not a problem for me.  Weight is a number one consderation for me.
Mike

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:46 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys,  It sounds pretty nice, maybe by next year they will bring the weight down and make a light weight one!  Ill hold off for now and stick to the old jiffy.
buckshot464

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.