The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: FRozen snowmobile battery  (Read 3345 times)

Offline scottly0

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicken Little
FRozen snowmobile battery
« on: Dec 11, 2005, 02:10 PM »
I went to camp and tried to start my Indy 500 EFI.  I could tell immediately the battery was dead so I removed it.  My instinct told me it was a bad idea to try to recharge it while frozen which the web has confirmed for me.  My question is if I thaw it out and top off some of the electolyte and trickle charge the battery will it be any good.  I'm inclined to go get a new one and keep this one as a so called spare it will hold a charge. I'm not plugging anything in until I get some good advice from my brother ice fisherman.  Grr! >:( 

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
Re: FRozen snowmobile battery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Not a battery expert but batteries should not freeze up Scott.  Batteries should be charged or trickle charged if not used for a long time like storage.  Lead Acid batteries can bad as you have learned.  Good thing is Wal-Mart has these fairly inexpensively.  Bad thing... who likes to spend money on batteries?  All you can do is what you stated in your post, charge the battery and see if it holds a charge.  If there is a lot of crud on the bottom of the battery, the internal plates may be shorted together and the battery pretty much useless.  I'm sure there are others here that deal with batteries more than me...just my two cents.  Good luck buddy.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I got a battery for my arctic cat 580EFI for like $20. It sux buying new ones but it is worth it to know that it is good.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:14 AM »
When in doubt go new, but it shouldn't have froze. Just think, the battery sits outside all winter (at least at my house) and works fine. Some one add water at some time?

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:48 AM »
A battery with no charge will freeze.                        Ron
Bobberstop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.