The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: lookin for info on trout  (Read 2087 times)

hook line-n-sinker

lookin for info on trout
« on: Sep 29, 2005, 02:11 AM »
hey guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could anyone tell me a good place to go for trout!!! I,m always fishing for pike... would like to give it a shot ..... live in somerset county      thaks tightline ???

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: lookin for info on trout
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2005, 02:14 PM »
where do you live?

hook line-n-sinker

i always fish for pike in belgrades but would like to try for trout through the ice but don,t know were an how to go  thanks tightline ???

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2005, 06:28 AM »
i always have my best luck with brookies in shallow sandy/ gravel bottom. i cant help ya on what pond or lake unless ya want to travel south. i am not farmiliar with your area.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Hook Line 'n Sinker, I've had real good success on Maranacook in Winthrop.  Average 3 or so togue in half day outings, some days a lot more.  Last year was a tougher bite after a great start on early ice. Late ice was OK though.  One of the buddies I took out for the derby in March placed 3rd for togue. Echo lake in Fayette is decent for splake and salmon.  Wyman Lake in Moscow will kick out some very nice splake and salmon.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me for more info.

Jim C.

hook line-n-sinker

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2005, 05:55 PM »
thank you guys for the info.. I,m going to check the map  wyman sounds familer ;D

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2005, 06:17 PM »
wyman is a great place for splake their is a boat ramp that is plowed in the winter it is very deep and drops off quick from shore at the ramp sal and lake trout is a lot slower their but when you get one it is good size. another place up the road from their is big wood do the same as scott said  sandy bottom and in shallow water 2 to 5 feet . the salmon are not that big their but you do get a few their are some big lakers in the lake  the state put a  lot of big ones in last year (20 to 28 inches  ) i hope this helps

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2005, 07:51 PM »
If you every come out to Moranacook feel free to look me up. We are putting a shanty out there this year and being that a buddy of mine has a lake house out there things are getting easier and easier every day. Just write me on here and I will be happy to let you know where to meet up with us and as long as my shanty is there it will be open for use by iceshanty members.
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2005, 09:02 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INVITE

hook line-n-sinker

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2005, 01:29 AM »
jim c were is winthrop !!!!!  we should get together some time and set some flages ;)

hook line-n-sinker

« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2005, 01:34 AM »
linguini  sounds like wymann can be pretty productive!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do you guys run for set ups... like line hooks bait ..depth   exc................ :o

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Hook, Line n' Sinker,  Winthrop is on Rt. 202 about 10 miles west of Augusta.  If you want to set up a trip on hard water, just let me know.  Think January or March.  1/6 was smokin' hot last year....2 flags at once, etc.  But wouldn't you know it......I thought I had a sure thing and invited some other Ice Shantyers out a few weeks later only to got skunked. 

On Wyman, I get my splake either close to bottom in 10-15 feet of water or at about that same distance under the ice over deep water.  Smelt worked well on traps  Once you find the splake, be ready to do some running!

Jim C.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2005, 06:49 PM »
hookn line we use smelt mostly butshinners work also i have even used worms with some luck  most of the time i have hooked on them most of the time in shallow water . 

hook line-n-sinker

« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2005, 02:20 AM »
Jim C sounds good have to keep in mind any day on the ice is god thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Excellent.  I'll keep you in mind.  THe time isn't that far off.   ;D

Jim C sounds good have to keep in mind any day on the ice is god thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.