The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Targeting Crappies  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Rogger2006

• IceShanty Rookie
Targeting Crappies
« on: Dec 02, 2022, 11:32 AM »
Ice fished in Maine my whole life, but I've never targeted Crappies. Since Maine IF&W isnt a fan of them (not sure why) it's difficult to find any info on them including what lakes to find them in. Any info you guys are willing to share about how to target them (what to look for contour wise, and what lakes to try) would be much appreciated. Seeing Joe Holland slammin them has got me fired up to try and find them with the ol' Livescope this season!
`````````````````'/\
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                 Thanks, Roger
                                 \/

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: Targeting Crappies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2022, 05:42 PM »
I target them in 30ft of water or less. Any deeper, they get barotrauma if you plan on releasing. I try to find bodies of water that are shallower than 30 ft. They are in the deep holes in the winter. Usually suspend 5-10 ft.  Jig head with plastic or bait is my go to. I also have a YT channel with a bunch of crappie content, if you wanted to check it out. 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Im not from your state but have fished specks my entire life.i start out right at a weedline early in the season but mid winter i fish them suspended over deep water.late i go back to the original weedline that i started at.and i almost always fish them at night by the glow of a coleman lantern.the good morning and daytime bite seems like its in stained water.daytime bite is a jig with spikes,night time my presentation is a micro treble/splitshot rig tipped with a emerald shiner.

Offline Rogger2006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2022, 08:17 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. And my son and I love your YouTube channel Precision Angling.
`````````````````'/\
                                 \/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Not from your area ...but cant beat pink and white combinations in general for jigs/spoons/plastics ...and tip downs are really hard to beat and will give you a heads up in which direction the school is moving . Fishing at night can be a blast with glow baits . A green light works well especially on the mid season basin bite.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2022, 10:09 AM »
To begin be prepared to drill and move. You can,t do like the trap guys. For me that means travel light and keep moving. Having transpotation as in a wheeler or sled is a great help. Start with your Auger selection. You do not need a 10 inch hole. You do not need bait. Light line like 3 ib test. Small jig assortment and small plastic bait.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Rogger2006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2022, 10:25 AM »
Ya I’ve heard that when you find a school you can catch a few out of it but then they move on, and you have to try and get on them again. Thanks for the info.
`````````````````'/\
                                 \/

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2022, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. And my son and I love your YouTube channel Precision Angling.
Good luck. Glad you enjoy the channel!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2022, 04:15 PM »
  Hard to give real advice on where to target this species.  Everyone has given great advice.  For me it varies from according to different bodies of water.  One place I fish they hang around a big weed bed in the 15 foot depth range.  They might be on the bottom or they might be suspended. Depends on how they feel that day.

Another place I fish they hang around a place with sparse weeds in the 8 foot depth range near the bottom.

I have a place where they seem to be moving around a lot anywhere from 6 feet deep to 20 feet deep but always suspeneded in the middle of the water column because there is such a heavy yellow perch population that stays on the bottom.

Most important though, always take Bee's advice. Drill, drill, drill, and move, move, move. Travel light and use a flasher, doesn't have to be one of the most expensive ones either. One of the cheaper Vexilar or Marcum or Hummingbird will all work great. Tungsten jigs with small plastic bait is all you need.

Good luck.

Offline Rogger2006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Thats a ton of good info Franklin. Im hoping to get after them once we can walk on water! Ill keep you guys posted on how our season goes targeting them! Maybe we will see you out there. tight Lines!
`````````````````'/\
                                 \/

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2022, 12:58 PM »
Fish the shallows/flats at first ice ..live weeds and weed edges ...fish high ...so to be seen from a distance ...then follow them to the basin(s) mid winter ...then late ice its back to the shallows . If you know where they are known to spawn draw a line from spawning areas to the basin and back .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rogger2006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:28 AM »
I was thinking of buying some 4lb test Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon for targeting Crappies and pan fish. Ive been told that 6-8lb test is too heavy for finicky Crappies which is my standard leader material. Do you guys think that setup will be good? I plan to use a tungsten jig head with small plastics or similar small baits.
`````````````````'/\
                                 \/

Offline Rogger2006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:44 AM »
Fish the shallows/flats at first ice ..live weeds and weed edges ...fish high ...so to be seen from a distance ...then follow them to the basin(s) mid winter ...then late ice its back to the shallows . If you know where they are known to spawn draw a line from spawning areas to the basin and back .

Thanks for the awesome season long advice! There are a few weed lines on a few ponds that I know and will start there early this season.
`````````````````'/\
                                 \/

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:25 AM »
I was thinking of buying some 4lb test Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon for targeting Crappies and pan fish. Ive been told that 6-8lb test is too heavy for finicky Crappies which is my standard leader material. Do you guys think that setup will be good? I plan to use a tungsten jig head with small plastics or similar small baits.

Yes scaling down your line to 4# or even 3# will increase your hook rate percentage..mono is fine ...also the less hardware the better ...meaning no snaps or swivels ... a direct tied line is best . some folks use a swivel for line twist ...mostly for deep water ...if you go this route a black ball bearing swivel is the way to go ..chrome/silver distracts them from the hook/bait.. I do use a snap on my vertical hanging spoons ...for quick changing to get the color/size right. Wax worms work best for my lakes ...but yours could be difference ...got to give them what they want . Night time fishing shines when they are in the basin mid winter ...using a green light could also help ...but fish the edges of the light ..place the light about 1/3 to 1/2 way down . Drill a bunch of holes about an hour before dusk or even earlier ..pack up what you dont need out to reduce clutter . The bite will be hot just before dusk...then a lull ...then it could turn back on ... But some lakes you cant pay for a bite at dark ...especially stain/muddy waters .

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:40 AM »
I go with the Seaguar 4# invisx. Seems more supple than the red label. AND it costs more!  ::)  :thumbsup::icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:53 AM »
There are times when the most effective technique is the most basic.  Crappie can be very finicky mid winter.  A plain minnow with a small hook, small shot, and light fluoro leader can save the day (or night)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2022, 10:20 AM »
There are times when the most effective technique is the most basic.  Crappie can be very finicky mid winter.  A plain minnow with a small hook, small shot, and light fluoro leader can save the day (or night)

True ...If you are not fishing a dead stick in its simplest iterations you are missing out ...close knit tip downs are great as well

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:03 PM »
I go with the Seaguar 4# invisx. Seems more supple than the red label. AND it costs more!  You only get what you pay for.  This only problem i find is you have to carry more fish home to Fillet.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2022, 04:53 PM »
  4 lb is heavy. I use 2 0r 3.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2022, 05:19 PM »
I also do not use 4lb for any panfish.1 to 3lb for me.but i also fish heavily pressured fish.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2022, 05:46 PM »
Im not from your state but have fished specks my entire life.i start out right at a weedline early in the season but mid winter i fish them suspended over deep water.late i go back to the original weedline that i started at.and i almost always fish them at night by the glow of a coleman lantern.the good morning and daytime bite seems like its in stained water.daytime bite is a jig with spikes,night time my presentation is a micro treble/splitshot rig tipped with a emerald shiner.

X2. I've also found when using minnows to sometimes let them take the bait for a bit before setting the hook. I like using a slip bobber and let them take it an inch or 2 below the surface.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Alot of great info given here. If you have a boat, and can find them late fall, chances are good they’ll be in that area come first ice.

They tend to feed up, so if you have sonar and find em, keep your bait a foot or two above them.

Good luck!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2022, 11:14 AM »
I use invisix too, just be careful with your knots when cinching down with floro. I don’t have much opportunity to target crappie, but I go after all panfish in Maine.
A sonar/flasher is almost a must have when going for panfish. Drill a bunch of holes and then go back and check them.  if you don’t see suspended fish, or nothing shows on the screen in 2-3 mins of jigging, move to the next hole. If you get with someone that has a side scan type sonar like a panoptix, you can stay on them all day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.