The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: old cold hands  (Read 1597 times)

Offline marten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
old cold hands
« on: Dec 16, 2022, 02:36 PM »
HI guys been long time from last ice fishing. ok i need your help please i am a 72 year old and haven trouble with very poor blood circulation in my hands i am hoping you have a idea on gloves for ice fishing that i can put bait on pull wet line out of the water and keep hands warm?? thanks for your help :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: old cold hands
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2022, 02:51 PM »
HI guys been long time from last ice fishing. ok i need your help please i am a 72 year old and haven trouble with very poor blood circulation in my hands i am hoping you have a idea on gloves for ice fishing that i can put bait on pull wet line out of the water and keep hands warm?? thanks for your help :tipup: :tipup:

I'm old too...67 this past Tuesday...and HAD the same problem.

I use those Nitrile surgical gloves under a pair of Neoprene style gloves. Hands stay relatively warm and dry and I can tie jigs with them. Dry off with a towel once in awhile. But I also have a pair of HT Joka mittens that I slide my hands into (with the other gloves still on) for a quick warm up if necessary. Best combo I've found so far.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Im diabetic and get freezing cold hands but im younger and can not wear anything for gloves while fishing but on the slow times i will put my hands in ht joka therm mitts.i also carry jon e handwarmers in my pockets alot too.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2022, 03:07 PM »
Try wearing a vest ...if your core is warm it better for the extremities ...I have a rechargeable hand warmer that a hang off my bibs zipper and into my bibs ...warms up the chest and my hands when needed .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2022, 04:03 PM »
Glad to hear that the latex + neoprene gloves have helped you. I may try that also to help with when I have to take my mittens off.
I cut off 1/2 of a pinky and ring finger when I was young and those stubs freeze up quick and it hurts like hell when they do.
No gloves I've tried will suffice for them. They need mittens so they can share the warm with the normal fingers.
The ones I use are the military ones with the wool liners. Wool still works if you get it wet.
And they're pretty cheap at the Army/Navy store (are there any left?) or online at places like Ebay and Sportsman's Guide.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2022, 04:17 PM »
Not sure how this might work for us ice fisherman... Clammers in Winter take a cooler of boiled water with them. Rubber gloves w/liners. (The nitrile layer sounds interesting!!! ) STAYING DRY is the most important component!! Dry towel. Hot Hands warmers, and serious waterproof gloves!!! I might try the hot water idea on ice, depending on the situation. Not sure how to apply it to my way of jumping around. Stationary fishing would definitely work!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:18 PM »
A hand muff with hand warmers inside of it is the best thing I have ever used to keep my hands warm. Wear mitts as suggested until you get to your spot, remove them to set up and bait up, wipe any moisture off your hands and then go to the muff. The metal handwarmers will work best since they won't absorb any moisture like the disposables. At least if your hands do get cold, you can stick them into a comfy "heated muff" to warm up.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:24 PM »

HT mitts for cold days walking out
 Rechargeable go warmers , and a towel to keep hands dry seems to work for me

Offline fishchef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Like the muff idea.  This heated one is rechargeable:  https://www.ororowear.com/products/heated-hand-warmer?variant=37930385211574   

Offline Sherpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2022, 09:42 PM »
I’ve been using the black mechanics gloves from VIP for years. Wear them under gloves or mittens. Also put hand warmers in your pocket and when your not using your hand put them in your pocket with the gloves on and hold the hand warmers. My hand don’t get cold and all my friends have started doing the same thing. Also change out the mechanics gloves if your hand start to sweat. Save and wet mechanics gloves that don’t have holes and run them thru the clothes washer and dryer then reuse

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:39 AM »
Gord Phyzer had a tip several years back in which he would wear tennis/wrist bands and stuff a disposable hand warmer in there ....warms the blood going to the hand(s)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:48 AM »
Gord Phyzer had a tip several years back in which he would wear tennis/wrist bands and stuff a disposable hand warmer in there ....warms the blood going to the hand(s)

Hmmmmm...got me thinking here.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Interesting! Will try that along with the mechanic gloves!! I have been using my clamming gloves with cotton or wool liners and hot hands when it's coldish...
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:32 PM »
There are probably about a million favorite gloves, mittens or gauntlets that are someone's go to.  Keep your hands dry, bring shop towels if you have to but also don't leave them on the ice.  I use Seirus all weather gloves that are waterproof.  Nothing says you couldn't wear surgical gloves under them.  There are new hi-tech gloves out there that have the dexterity to work with touch screens and many are waterproof.

Keep dry, don't be afraid to layer based on activity and good luck.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2022, 04:36 PM »
 a good pair of angora wool mittens would be good to have around.

Offline Thebeardedwaterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2022, 12:30 PM »
I just purchased a pair of the TideWe heated gloves and used them on a recent sea duck hunt. They have three heat settings and worked pretty well to warm up my hands after I was messing with decoy lines. They are not cheap, I think around $75. I can't speak to how well they will hold up, I've only used them one time.

Another solution is a good pair of wool-lined leather mittens and hand warmers. Those can be hard to beat on really cold days.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2022, 06:26 PM »
Cabela's sells heated mittens and gloves and dicks also 

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2022, 06:08 PM »
All very good info.

I've been using the cheap but reusable nitrile gloves with the wool finger-less gloves for a few years now to bait and tend traps. Decent dexterity and they keep my finger tips dry.  Which split and crack in the winter (eczema) and cold water makes them worse. Very painful.

Also have a pair of old ice-armor mittens that I put the small chemical pocket hand warmers in when not working traps. The whole setup fits right the big old mittens.

I still have a pair of the big old army issue with wool liners which work great too. built in snot rags.  ;D   

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2022, 06:18 PM »
I have a pair of Ice Armor Extreme gloves that have zipper pockets for heat packs. They keep my hands toasty when ice fishing or blowing snow.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.