The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Golden shiner pond  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Golden shiner pond
« on: Nov 27, 2022, 08:45 PM »
Anyone know a good shiner pond in Berkshire county, have had luck netting perch at plunkett reservoir.

Trying to stock up and save a few bucks this season.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Golden shiner pond
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:06 AM »
That’s like asking someone’s social security number around here

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:45 AM »
Lol. Let me know when you find it! Probably have better luck solving world hunger.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2022, 04:52 PM »
Once you find it let me know where you hang them for pike  ;D
westernmas on the finder

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2022, 05:26 PM »
If I had such a spot, I wouldn't even tell my wife!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2022, 08:07 AM »
you're not going to get GPS locations to a good shiner pond on a public forum

here's how to do it...

you want a tiny pond (not a giant lake or reservoir).  the less predator fish, the better.  low flow (or no flow).

so, think fire ponds, beaver ponds, small ponds nearby rivers or lakes or larger ponds that only flood in high water - that sort of stuff.....not a hard flowing stream, not a big lake.

if you look at google maps, i guarantee that there are a couple possibilities near you.  they can be very small ponds - as long as they don't dry up completely in summer (so no vernal pools).

next you need a trap w/ camo paracord (not bright white rope).  (for some reason, ppl like to mess w/ traps - either other trappers, kids or ppl against trapping).  set the trap right before dusk to the left or right of easy access, then pick it up early in the morning before the yahoos wake up.

try 3 spots like I mentioned above....1 of them should be good.  next year, go to the good spot 1st.  sort thru the bait & keep only what you need.  if it dries up or gets over-trapped, have to find another spot.

that's it!  good luck!   :tipup:

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2022, 09:40 PM »
you're not going to get GPS locations to a good shiner pond on a public forum

here's how to do it...

you want a tiny pond (not a giant lake or reservoir).  the less predator fish, the better.  low flow (or no flow).

so, think fire ponds, beaver ponds, small ponds nearby rivers or lakes or larger ponds that only flood in high water - that sort of stuff.....not a hard flowing stream, not a big lake.

if you look at google maps, i guarantee that there are a couple possibilities near you.  they can be very small ponds - as long as they don't dry up completely in summer (so no vernal pools).

next you need a trap w/ camo paracord (not bright white rope).  (for some reason, ppl like to mess w/ traps - either other trappers, kids or ppl against trapping).  set the trap right before dusk to the left or right of easy access, then pick it up early in the morning before the yahoos wake up.

try 3 spots like I mentioned above....1 of them should be good.  next year, go to the good spot 1st.  sort thru the bait & keep only what you need.  if it dries up or gets over-trapped, have to find another spot.

that's it!  good luck!   :tipup:

Very good tutorial without burning somebodies honey hole. Well done
MA

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2022, 05:17 PM »
BWHAHAHAHAHAHA...snort ... cough....beer out nose!

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for the info on what types of ponds to look for, it backed up what I had thought but not confirmed.  Also to oldmanwilga what size tank do you have to hold that many.  Is it true about three shiners( size dependent )per gallon to keep long term.

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2023, 02:50 PM »
if and when you find a pond and location  you'll keep it to yourself if  not to many people over take the area

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2023, 07:42 PM »
Anyone know a good shiner pond in Berkshire county, have had luck netting perch at plunkett reservoir.

Trying to stock up and save a few bucks this season.

If you go a mile down the road from where you were the other day near a cement block and a gnarly overhanging tree they are around there
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2023, 07:53 PM »
Big baits, big tank, time and gas money spent...I haven't met many that save money...specifically if you use a bio-filter system.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2023, 02:23 AM »
Depends on the size of your bait. My setup is real cheap. All homemade from resourced materials except a $30 pool pump. At $3.50 to $4.50 a fish for what I use, I am definitely saving some change. The setup is self sufficient with no maintenance so the only real investment is the time it takes to trap.  Convenience is definitely a factor, too. Instead of driving all over the state to buy big bait and hold it overnight, I just grab from my tank outside next to the garage in the morning.

Little stuff is another story. Readily accessible and cheap. I got some little stuff too, but all by-product that I held onto for my fishing buddies. They don't get the big stuff, Lol.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:42 AM »
If you go a mile down the road from where you were the other day near a cement block and a gnarly overhanging tree they are around there

So if plunkett is on my left as I head in, continue passed the boat ramp about a mile?  Just asking because there is a gnarly tree about a 100 yards from the ramp as well towards the camp

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:47 AM »
Ive had enough traps stolen to know talking about where you are setting is a liability.  Strongly recommend pm's....

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:54 PM »
I think I paid $20.00 for my bait tank tote. My traps were old, bought long ago. My filter comes from the junk pile under my big fish tank. I use left over bread or junk from my kitchen for bait. I use zero gas to get them. I spend roughly a half hour a day trapping and maybe a half hour every few days, once a week for water changes. I don't charge it as time wasted because catching and keeping bait is a side hobby.

Balance that against the price of 2 or 3 dozen per trip and the hassle of even finding a place near by to buy them, I find extremely worthwhile.

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:59 AM »
I jig my own goldies , was wondering do you feed them ? and what , I have about 40

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:54 AM »
I jig my own goldies , was wondering do you feed them ? and what , I have about 40
    don't feed them unless you want to be a slave to water testing and changes. The ammonia from their sh** will create toxic water for them and they will die. Once u introduce Goldens into a tank plan on changing 1/3 of the water daily for 3 or 4 days then use your own judgement but never do more then a 1/3 and if you wash you filter use tank water not fresh water. Goldens are not as needy as other fish but it's important to keep the bio in the tank neutral

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:01 PM »
I have probably twice that many that I have been sitting on all winter. I have a filter with a small heater attached to keep the filter media above 50F. It also helps maintain a opening in the ice when it's cold. The tank is a tote outside on my porch. I never feed them. The tote is black and I keep the cover on. In the cold and dark, they are very inactive and don't need to eat. They do still dirty the water so I change about 30% water every week. More or less.
I have not removed a single dead all season.

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:17 AM »
Thanks  for all the info -  tight  lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.