Author Topic: Need help deciding between sonars  (Read 8498 times)

Offline Ryan V

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need help deciding between sonars
« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02:01 PM »
I finally was able to use a Lowrace for a little bit out on the water and I really liked it. I think I've finally decided to go with that style over a flasher. Now I just need to figure out which one to buy....

Offline BradGill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:56 PM »
I have the Lowrance elite 3x, elite 5x, and a hook2 5 split shot. All are in a ice pack. Below are my comments on all 3.

Elite 5:  This is my go to unit. Split zoom, amplitude scope and good target separation. No undesirable issues that I can think of. It is the best of all 3.
Elite 3:  Decent functional unit. No amplitude scope or split zoom. Target separation not as good as elite 5.
Hook2 5:  Good chart plotter and preloaded lake maps. Amplitude scope and split zoom. I am disappointed with sonar so far. Unit is feels like it lags compared to other units. when hole hopping it sometimes takes a few minutes to find bottom and register my jig and can lock up from time to time. I was really hoping this would be as good as the elite 5. In fairness I am still learning it.

Hope this helps if you decide to purchase a Lowrance unit.

Offline Ryan V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:19 PM »
I have the Lowrance elite 3x, elite 5x, and a hook2 5 split shot. All are in a ice pack. Below are my comments on all 3.

Elite 5:  This is my go to unit. Split zoom, amplitude scope and good target separation. No undesirable issues that I can think of. It is the best of all 3.
Elite 3:  Decent functional unit. No amplitude scope or split zoom. Target separation not as good as elite 5.
Hook2 5:  Good chart plotter and preloaded lake maps. Amplitude scope and split zoom. I am disappointed with sonar so far. Unit is feels like it lags compared to other units. when hole hopping it sometimes takes a few minutes to find bottom and register my jig and can lock up from time to time. I was really hoping this would be as good as the elite 5. In fairness I am still learning it.

Hope this helps if you decide to purchase a Lowrance unit.

Thanks, do they still make the Elite series?

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:47 PM »
Nothing is better than a camera. No doubt about what's happening when you can see it. Cameras have their downsides, too. They are the best when used in a shanty, poor when out in the open. Sonar is far superior to a 'flasher'. New sonar units include a flasher mode that is seldom used.

Offline Ryan V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:56 PM »
Thanks, do they still make the Elite series?

Fond where the sell them and I'd love to get a elite 5 but I can't spend $500 for my first sonar I've got a budget of $300

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Fond where the sell them and I'd love to get a elite 5 but I can't spend $500 for my first sonar I've got a budget of $300
Hey Ryan V, you should be able to find that Elite 5 on ebay for the money you want to spend.  I have an Elite 4 Chirp bought off ebay and it is great.  Mine was used but they also have new ones available.  Worth taking a look.

Offline Ryan V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Hey Ryan V, you should be able to find that Elite 5 on ebay for the money you want to spend.  I have an Elite 4 Chirp bought off ebay and it is great.  Mine was used but they also have new ones available.  Worth taking a look.

Thanks I've been looking a little and I cant find and used ice kits but I might be able to buy the head of a Elite 5 and buy something like this to put it in.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/NAVICO-UNIV-PORTABLE-PACK/1641223.uts?productVariantId=3327111&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03572231&rid=20&ds_rl=1246549&ds_rl=1246552&ds_rl=1252242&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzePjBRCRARIsAGkrSm6IKei2TTAtQOuE3OVrDhH8vHg6X3Lo4Cucky6If6FwfUWXCs109lMaAqjzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Hey it's been a month. Ice is almost gone- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ryan V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Mar 01, 2019, 09:39 AM »

If I do get a Lowrance I'll use it as much for open water as I will for ice fishing  :)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Not over at the Blue Mesa. Just broke through in this picture.

<===Lefty===

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Not over at the Blue Mesa. Just broke through in this picture.

A little too thick for my tastes- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 01, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Michigan got lucky..  we did not have a ice tsunami on our shore recently..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155795077951852&id=97098306851&sfnsn=mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.